Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the report. He made some interesting comments, although he obviously couldn't reveal specifics about their future plans.

About the X-5, it has been listed as discontinued on the Japan Ricoh site for a while and seems to be mostly sold out at retail. However, Ricoh staff have mentioned in interviews that superzooms are one of the niches they want to compete in, so I think they'll release a successor soon.

I'm sure the Q was designed with a 1/1.7 sensor in mind from the start. The important lenses all cover the image circle and the focal lengths make more sense on 1/1.7. The problem was that the 1/1.7 sensors of the time could not do HD video, so going with 1/1.7 would have made it the only MILC system without HD video. It must have been a tough decision to go with 1/2.3 and personally I think they got it wrong. Now the system has gained some traction, I can see them releasing a high-end model alongside the Q7.

05-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm sure the Q was designed with a 1/1.7 sensor in mind from the start.
That is almost certainly right, but:
The important lenses all cover the image circle
The fisheye doesn't, and I would not dismiss it as "unimportant",
since (AFAIK) no other fisheye focuses down to 9cm,
or offers the phenomenal depth of field that the 03 does.

and the focal lengths make more sense on 1/1.7.
That is a matter of user opinion.

The 02 zoom starts at 28mm FF equivalent on the smaller sensor,
comparable to the well-loved Tamron 28-75 on FF,
and personally, I prefer the 01 prime as a 47mm equivalent.
05-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Thanks for the report.

Can you clarify this statement?

Does it refer to FA lenses for the 645 format (as opposed to the pricey D FA lenses),
or does it mean lenses like the FA 35/2 (as opposed to the FA Limiteds)?
Hi lytrytyr,

Seeing Ricoh's commitment to APS, I was asking about the future of the FA lenses. The question in my head was why bother making FF lenses for a APS system? I re-formulated the question a bit and simply asked does Ricoh plan to continue supporting the FA series of lenses since the company is so committed to APS.

That's when he said that Ricoh is committed to the FA lenses, especially something like the 50mm f/1.4 and the macro lenses because they are cheaper than something like the DA 55, the DA Limited, etc and remain very popular to this day. He did not make the comparison to something like the base DA 35 and DA 50. Now that I think about it I find it interesting that he would compare a run of the mill FA 50mm f/1.4 to those series of lenses!

The entire comparison and segment of conversation did not relate to the 645 format.
05-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That is good, to see more Pentax presence in stores.

05-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That is a matter of user opinion.

(snip snip)

and personally, I prefer the 01 prime as a 47mm equivalent.

I don't want to digress too far from the thread but I would like to chime in with a +1 here. Even though I have never used a Q7 I find myself very satisfied with the FoV of the 01 lens on my original Q. My 02 gets very little use in comparison. Maybe Ricoh could release a high quality 6.5mm prime to supplement the 01.
05-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
That's when he said that Ricoh is committed to the FA lenses, especially something like the 50mm f/1.4 and the macro lenses because they are cheaper than something like the DA 55, the DA Limited, etc and remain very popular to this day. . . .
The entire comparison and segment of conversation did not relate to the 645 format.
Thanks for clarifying.
Now that I think about it I find it interesting that he would compare a run of the mill FA 50mm f/1.4 to those series of lenses!
Well, it's part of a long, distinguished line of Planar-type lenses (my well-used M 50/1.4 included).
The FA 35/2 also has its devotees.

And, of course, there is the eleFFant in the room (we hope)!
05-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FF is on a lot of people's minds, especially here. It's easy for a company to do something big and watch it all fall to pieces. Kinda like a loud clumsy dog running after a tossed ball. Mr. Flaten said that Ricoh understands it's a small player in the market. This is both bad and good. It's bad because it's hard to get the recognition and attention that they deserve compared to someone like Nikon or Canon. However, it's good because they can get away with making something like a Q. Nikon supposedly spent many millions of dollars on their latest Nikon 1 series update only to see it flop. This includes technical development and marketing. Being small, Ricoh doesn't have this problem. Their danger is doing nothing!

Ricoh knows that as a company they are big - huge! - despite Ricoh/Pentax cameras being small. So the question is how do you take the resources of a massive company and apply to an underdeveloped product line without being sloppy?

05-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going to FF requires new designs, new lenses, new production tooling, etc. . . . . . FF was a fad.
Yep, he definitely said that FF was a fad for a while but he didn't say that Ricoh wouldn't be doing something in that space! Again, I'm sure he didn't want to spread rumors and he no doubt wanted to present Ricoh's commitment to APS. My own thought is that Pentax/Ricoh has had plenty of opportunity to dump the K-mount and mirror box and make an APS specific design that could be smaller. They didn't. Are they just waiting for what they think is the absolute most perfect moment to go FF? Maybe.
I have always thought --

The production tooling is holding them back at the volume of FF sales they expect to get. Until they build up the brand and store distributions on the existing platforms they don't expect enough FF volume to justify the investment.

That is partly why I've written for a couple years there will be a FF camera but other things must happen first.

The commitment to FA lenses should make those of us who do not yet own the FA Limiteds breathe a bit easier.
05-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

: Yep, he definitely said that FF was a fad for a while
That would be news to the professionals, 'fad' rather than 'de facto standard'
05-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I met the Ricoh rep today.
Sincere thanks for the report!

FF was a fad.

The company is committed to their FA lenses because they are lower priced
05-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That would be news to the professionals, 'fad' rather than 'de facto standard'
Well, to his credit, I have to agree that there are some professionals who are switching over to systems with smaller sensors and finding that their images can look just as amazing as those produced by FF bodies. The Ricoh GR is one such example. With an APS sensor and fixed focal length, the camera still found its way quickly into the bags of journalists for instance. I'm not a pro, obviously, so all I can do is relate information.
05-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a pro, obviously, so all I can do is relate information.
And I'm not being serious, 6BQ5.

Except to say thanks for the report.
05-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
And I'm not being serious, 6BQ5.

Except to say thanks for the report.

All good! I'm glad I could provide something like this for the forum!
05-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

@mee : Yep, he definitely said that FF was a fad for a while but he didn't say that Ricoh wouldn't be doing something in that space! Again, I'm sure he didn't want to spread rumors and he no doubt wanted to present Ricoh's commitment to APS. My own thought is that Pentax/Ricoh has had plenty of opportunity to dump the K-mount and mirror box and make an APS specific design that could be smaller. They didn't. Are they just waiting for what they think is the absolute most perfect moment to go FF? Maybe.

Or "Going to FF requires new designs, new lenses, new production tooling, etc" could mean new mount to make everyone buy new lenses.. I don't see that happening.. but when you (err they) leave everything open.. they leave everything open.

I guess it is really just a smokescreen for not wanting to say anything.. not confirming nor denying.. which makes sense as it would eat into their current lineup sales from both the bottom (APS-C) and top (645Z).

Still think if we do see a K mount FF digi Pentax body at Photokina, it will be a prototype or at least a paper launch..
05-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Wonderful reporting, Boris, thank you.