Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #46
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,459
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Presence in worldwide markets is totally abandoned? Is that not enough?
Being a system camera it will be supported for certain firmware updates for future Pentax lenses and flashes, for example, but as a concept for a line of cameras, or a new production run for worldwide markets, it's gone. Forever.
It's dead. And it was a dead end from its conception. It was designed o be a quick flick. Nothing more. How "in more dead terms" can we describe its deceased state of existence? It's not 6 ft below, but 70 ft? Is that deep enough in the ground to claim it's gone forever?
If you look at the technology the K-01 was replaced by the K30.

Pentax admitted it missed an opportunity to market a slim mirrorless - that the 45.46mm registration distance mirrorless didn't work.

05-12-2014, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you look at the technology the K-01 was replaced by the K30.

Pentax admitted it missed an opportunity to market a slim mirrorless - that the 45.46mm registration distance mirrorless didn't work.
Pentax is incredibly smart company tech-wise for such a crazy excuse.
I don’t believe it a second.

They knew perfectly well that they are into a half-hearted attempt.
They knew product has no serious future, that it can’t stand a chance against a slim Olympus Pen or a NEX.
They knew if going mirrorless APS-C, it will kill the K-mount.
They knew if going mirrorless FF, they will kill the K-mount and fall into obscurity.
They knew K-mount must be protected.
They knew slim and more innovative K-mount cameras are possible, but needed more time and better tech.
They knew they need something like the Q; it protects the K-mount, and keeps the company on user radars.
They knew they need time. Badly! Therefore they have issued a handful of cameras that do nothing more than buying them .. time.

I only hope we are over that period by now.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-12-2014 at 10:12 PM.
05-12-2014, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
Original Poster
I think the K-01 was a sandbox/experimentation for Pentax. We saw the final product but they saw all the technology that had to be developed to make the product appear. I'm sure there were many lessons learned from the K-01 from marketing to technical. The camera is not so much dead in my eyes as much as it is complete. It served it's purpose.

I still think the greatest hit against the K-01 was the lack of an EVF. If it had an EVF (which is not for everyone - I know) then I think the camera would have been wildly successful!
05-12-2014, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I still think the greatest hit against the K-01 was the lack of an EVF. If it had an EVF (which is not for everyone - I know) then I think the camera would have been wildly successful!
A greed

05-13-2014, 02:42 AM   #50
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,185
Not wanting to get any deeper into a discussion about whether the K-01 was successful, I would just say that K-01 purchasers have not been left unsupported by Pentax. I don't see any reason to warn potential customers away from certain cameras just because they are unorthodox.
05-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 985
I believe that the development of the K-01 was haphazardly done just to come up with a mirror less body. The development should have been continued. The concept is good since it used the K-mount which allows Pentax users more options to go mirror less or go for the traditional DSLR. Using the K-mount lenses without any adapter means no compromise in image quality and probably in focusing performance (such as the case with Olympus 4/3 lenses and Pen cameras). But I agree, an EVF like the E-M1 would have helped a lot.
05-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #52
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,912
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I believe that the development of the K-01 was haphazardly done just to come up with a mirror less body. The development should have been continued. The concept is good since it used the K-mount which allows Pentax users more options to go mirror less or go for the traditional DSLR. Using the K-mount lenses without any adapter means no compromise in image quality and probably in focusing performance (such as the case with Olympus 4/3 lenses and Pen cameras). But I agree, an EVF like the E-M1 would have helped a lot.
Rather my feeling. I've just spent a long weekend away using the K-01 and some DA Limited lenses, a great combination. Took scores of images with the 15, 21, 40 and 70mm. The K-01 is a well-made, solid camera with (for its day - it's not new anymore) excellent image quality but the lack of an EVF is a real killer in some situations especially when there is glare on the rear screen. The irony in Pentax abandoning this approach is that they could do a much better job now than a few years ago because of newer technology such as on-sensor AF, better internal electronics, advances in EVFs and so forth,

I suppose Pentax could produce a K3- or K50-like body but a little smaller - no mirror but instead a big, top-quality EVF that would give one a kind of FF viewfinder on a crop-sensor camera. If they got on-sensor AF working really well, I'd be very keen on one of these over a traditional OVF camera. A nice big VF with focus-peaking and overlays - and no thunking mirror flipping around - would be selling points for me. Why they seem to have ruled this out is a mystery. Perhaps they think that K-mount is an OVF mount only and end of story, but if so I'd guess they are going to find stormy waters ahead.

Last edited by mecrox; 05-13-2014 at 04:31 AM.
05-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #53
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
...A nice big VF with focus-peaking and overlays - and no thunking mirror flipping around - would be selling points for me. Why they seem to have ruled this out is a mystery. Perhaps they think that K-mount is an OVF mount only and end of story, but if so I'd guess they are going to find stormy waters ahead.
An OVF + EVF combination is also possible, and no one has done it — yet — in a DSLR design.
So let's not rush ahead and say K-mount must have an EVF option too, when it's possible to have both as well.

But an EVF only body is possible too, and will be, most likely, priced cheaper.

However, all tech gizmos aside and our infatuations with them, there is a substantial difference between Pentax DSLRs and all the others. Pentax employs a real OVF, true pentaprism with 100% view in the entire line of its cameras, and that is rare today. There will always be people who like OVF for many reasons, and if catering only for them, Pentax will have plenty of happy customers.

They don't need to please everyone.

05-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #54
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,185
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Rather my feeling. I've just spent a long weekend away using the K-01 and some DA Limited lenses, a great combination. Took scores of images with the 15, 21, 40 and 70mm. The K-01 is a well-made, solid camera with (for its day - it's not new anymore) excellent image quality but the lack of an EVF is a real killer in some situations especially when there is glare on the rear screen. The irony in Pentax abandoning this approach is that they could do a much better job now than a few years ago because of newer technology such as on-sensor AF, better internal electronics, advances in EVFs and so forth,

I suppose Pentax could produce a K3- or K50-like body but a little smaller - no mirror but instead a big, top-quality EVF that would give one a kind of FF viewfinder on a crop-sensor camera. If they got on-sensor AF working really well, I'd be very keen on one of these over a traditional OVF camera. A nice big VF with focus-peaking and overlays - and no thunking mirror flipping around - would be selling points for me. Why they seem to have ruled this out is a mystery. Perhaps they think that K-mount is an OVF mount only and end of story, but if so I'd guess they are going to find stormy waters ahead.
I think Pentax is one of the only companies that hasn't implemented on-sensor PDAF in any of it's models. That seems like a very useful technology for the future and would make a K-01 successor more viable, not to mention a new Q model.

By the way, I spoke too soon about the K-01 still being a current model in Japan. As of this week it is on the discontinued list. So you're right, Uluru, 27 months after the launch it is truly dead and buried. Unless it comes back from the grave for one last haunting in pink!

I've also noticed that retailers are showing the K-5 II as being out of production and supplies are drying up, but the K-5 IIs is still listed as normal. Does it mean that they are deliberately keeping the K-5 II around, or did they just overproduce it? Interesting.
05-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #55
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
Original Poster
The K-5 IIs is still current and the K-5 II has no more production runs planned. So, you could say it's discontinued.
05-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #56
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,657
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ricoh is hesitant add electronics retailers to their retailer list. Those stores go in 10-12 year boom/bust cycles.
That's a mistake i think. If they can ensure a presence in a store for 10 years, they should do so!
05-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #57
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 421
Thanks for your report Boris. Most informative.
05-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #58
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,657
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They knew product has no serious future, that it can’t stand a chance against a slim Olympus Pen or a NEX.
I don't agree. I think its main flaw was the price. A cheaper price point would have put it on the radar for a lot of people.
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #59
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
It was a hodgepodge. Almost the price of the K-5, almost the size, almost the cost, large downside of no VF and poor A/F.
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #60
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,459
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The K-5 IIs is still current and the K-5 II has no more production runs planned. So, you could say it's discontinued.
January 14 asahi man posted the K5II and K5IIs had been already been out of production for two months in favor of K3. Perhaps (if correct) K5II stocks are depleted but the IIs remains in warehouses.

He also posted this regarding EVF/OVF debate. Apparently Pentax has a Patent.
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Better will be the Pentax Patent with optical finder and a digital overlay finder to have both in one optical system
Nikon has a similar older patent.
Best regards
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, cameras, canon, canons, carson, city, electronics, ft, lenses, nikon, nv, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photo, photo service, rep, retailers, ricoh/pentax rep, service, service in carson, store, walmart
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh rep in San Jose tomorrow BWG Pentax K-3 3 03-28-2014 12:29 PM
Sony A77 Successor Coming in May, Might Pack the Worlds Fastest AF jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 13 03-18-2014 04:55 PM
K-30 coming to shelves this week in US, it's official! LeDave Pentax K-30 & K-50 27 07-05-2012 08:42 AM
Pentax REP coming to town mba1971 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-17-2010 09:00 PM
Pentax Rep in PDX! Pro Photo Supply 10-27 vagrant10 Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 10-26-2007 11:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top