Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So that is why we have Q cameras, MX-1, X-5, and other disposables with minimum support. To flood the retailers like Target? Perhaps a K50/K500 may end up there too (do they?) with a kit lens, to stand next to Canon's and Nikon's junk DSLR food too.
The Target in Eureka, CA has a white K-50 on display, along side the ubiquitous Canon Rebel and a Nikon 3xxx entry level model. It may be the only Pentax DSLR you can buy in store within 250 miles.

05-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #77
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
. . . . X-5 I know noting about, but I think it is a rebadge.
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Wasn't the X-5 there first, six months earlier?
I guess - - my point was, if X-5 was a re-badge, did Ricoh/Pentax use the MX-1 in part to learn about manufacturing an articulating LCD (and perhaps the X-5 to reverse engineer)?

IOW, none of these cameras is a purposeless, throw-away offering. There's always more to Ricoh's and Pentax's tactics than is immediately evident.
05-14-2014, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #78
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Can Pentax crank out the numbers to satisfy this market? It is a waste of time to negotiate for the shelf space and not be able to keep it full.
That is a legitimate question - and a real business problem. I have read that Walmart sometimes requires a delivery guarantee clause with penalties for non-performance. Walmart measures system-wide volume per minute.

I can't find it any more but I could swear I read a research report wherein a product manager was stuck producing product to fulfill a Walmart supply contract during the financial crisis. His company was trying extremely hard conserve cash flow and capital by shuttering production facilities. At the time the least expensive thing to do (in terms of creating the smallest losses) was continue producing until the contract ended.
05-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #79
Pentaxian

if X-5 was a re-badge
I thought it was essentially an update of the X90.
IOW, none of these cameras is a purposeless, throw-away offering. There's always more to Ricoh's and Pentax's tactics than is immediately evident.
+1

05-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess - - my point was, if X-5 was a re-badge, did Ricoh/Pentax use the MX-1 in part to learn about manufacturing an articulating LCD (and perhaps the X-5 to reverse engineer)?

Are you sure the MX-1 (a fine camera, I have one) was developed in-house? The resemblances to the similar Olympus compact at least suggest that it was something of a bought-in package from a contract manufacturer. Nothing wrong with that, it's commonplace in many industries. Obviously Pentax would have come up with specs, requirements and their own software over the basic plan but the rest would be up to the third party. The third party's own basic spec may already have included a tilting LCD. My impression is that Pentax don't normally include tilting LCDs because they don't consider them appropriate to a camera designed to be used at eye level. Hence there isn't one on the K3 but there is on the 645z as a nod to its studio uses, etc.
05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #81
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Are you sure the MX-1 (a fine camera, I have one) was developed in-house?
Nope - I'm not sure of anything other than quite a bit of actual info on the K-01 and Q system. I'm merely trying to illustrate the point (and counter a post upthread) that sometimes a product is offered for reasons beyond merely selling cameras that from the outside aren't clearly understood.

Then there is the Special or Limited Edition runs of existing cameras. I'm specualting here - I know nothing.

Suppose costs of a body are fully amortized, Planned production is complete, the production line is near end-of-life but nothing is ready to replace that product yet. Pentax can assemble 1500 or 2000 LE pieces and price them at list (or above, with special details) and make an exceedingly high margin on those units. Assume at the factory level they can clear $500 a unit on an LE body - 2000 units is $1,000,000. That's real money and a wonderful marginal return.

Look at the blue K-01. We assumed the K-01 was dead. We've seen a photo of a pink K-01. Christine Tham would buy out the run if they offered it.

From the outside we don't see the higher profit motivation - we just see silver paint.