Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Going to FF requires new designs, new lenses, new production tooling, etc. If you're going to go big then you go really big ... like the 645Z! Despite the general bulk of the 645Z there are expectations that this camera will end up being used by sports journalists, explorers in field work, etc.
Yes, it is a well known fact that APS-C, 645 and Q camera lines require no tooling whatsoever. They are tooling free as they are just picked up ripe from a fooling tree.
Only the 35mm cameras require new tooling, especially those 35mm cameras that share 90% of its design treats with other camera lines and siblings. It is a well known, annoying and a notorious fact in the whole camera industry.

QuoteQuote:
FF was a fad.
I am very reassured when the Ricoh Imaging talks about the 35mm digital in past tense. I wonder whether the rep was using his crystal ball coated in HD and walked dressed up in Druid's robes and pointed hat?

QuoteQuote:
The company is committed to their FA lenses because they are lower priced and very popular.
At least 25+ years old lens designs require no special tooling; their design, coating, AF capabilities, etc. have been ground to the point of no return ; it is cheaper to leave them in lineup with zero sales than throw them away.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-12-2014 at 06:24 AM.
05-12-2014, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

FF was a fad, which means right now it isn't, so they'll launch one soon
05-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the words of RR, "There you go again."
05-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

FF was a fad...so was bayonet mount and autofocus.

05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
FF was a fad, which means right now it isn't, so they'll launch one soon
Ah, now I understand; the guy is from the future! With his DeLorean parked two corners away, not to stir any unnecessary attention.
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I wonder whether the rep was using his crystal ball coated in HD and walked dressed up in Druid's robes and pointed hat?
You may be the 'enfant terrible' of the forum, but that's very funny, Uluru!

Last edited by clackers; 05-12-2014 at 05:25 PM.
05-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Ah, now I understand; the guy is from the future! With his DeLorean parked two corners away, not to stir any unnecessary attention.
That makes sense only if you believe FF is still a fad

05-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
THX Boris for the insight.... I have heard (VERY unofficially) long tele-zoom is next......
05-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
..[*]The MX-1 and X-5 are still active products in the line up. Both cameras have sales targets. There may or may not be any additional production runs planned but production runs don't necessarily equate to active/inactive product status...
This is interesting as it seems they have made several "K-01-like" smoke bombs across different lines of products.

Which means, they have made non-comitting cameras that have no future lines, updates nor support. Smoke-screen cameras: throw them, then snuggle away and leave them alone. The MX-1 never got any attention since launch, not a single firmware update. Nothing. The X-5 was introduced long ago as well, never made into anything better or different or evolved.

I actually think discerning Pentax users should beware of such products: they are not made to be supported, updated or cherished in any particular way. They have positive numerical sales targets, but below zero support targets. Is that how Ricoh economises?

And we have too many of them already: K-01, MX-1, X-5, most likely HZ15, the entire GXR line. They are all dead ends. The only problem is, how to recognise which new product will be a such smoke-screen, non-comitting bait?

Last edited by Uluru; 05-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.
05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #40
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The MX-1 and X-5 are clearly styled after old Pentax models. If Ricoh really wants to transition to their own brand name on compacts, it makes sense to heavily restyle them. Both of those models lack the control and versatility that Ricoh compacts are known for, so I expect that any replacements will be more utilitarian and less decorative in style, and aimed at more of an enthusiastic audience.
05-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is interesting as it seems they have made several "K-01-like" smoke bombs across different lines of products.

Which means, they have made non-comitting cameras that have no future lines, updates nor support. Smoke-screen cameras: throw them, then snuggle away and leave them alone. The MX-1 never got any attention since launch, not a single firmware update. Nothing. The X-5 was introduced long ago as well, never made into anything better or different or evolved.

I actually think discerning Pentax users should beware of such products: they are not made to be supported, updated or cherished in any particular way. They have positive numerical sales targets, but below zero support targets. Is that how Ricoh economises?

And we have too many of them already: K-01, MX-1, X-5, most likely HZ15, the entire GXR line. They are all dead ends. The only problem is, how to recognise which new product will be a such smoke-screen, non-comitting bait?
Do you think the K-01 fits that definition? It was definitely a risky and unique camera (whereas the X-5 and MX-1 are fairly safe) that had the potential to be a big hit or a big flop. It had also received updates.
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Do you think the K-01 fits that definition? It was definitely a risky and unique camera (whereas the X-5 and MX-1 are fairly safe) that had the potential to be a big hit or a big flop. It had also received updates.
It had a pre-defined, limited run: something that we did not know. And it was definitely abandoned: something that was clearly communicated later.
However, it had a minimal life support being a system camera, though. I presume system cameras must have "some kind" of a firmware update (or breathing aid) here and there, even if they are genetic dead-ends.
05-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

The K-01 is still a current model now in Japan. It is still supported in terms of lens releases for K-mount and the battery is used in the 645z, so out will be in production for many years to come. Finally, it received the latest firmware update on the same day as other DSLRs. So, in what way is it abandoned?
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The K-01 is still a current model now in Japan. It is still supported in terms of lens releases for K-mount and the battery is used in the 645z, so out will be in production for many years to come. Finally, it received the latest firmware update on the same day as other DSLRs. So, in what way is it abandoned?
And the K3.
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Presence in worldwide markets is totally abandoned? Is that not enough?
Being a system camera it will be supported for certain firmware updates for future Pentax lenses and flashes, for example, but as a concept for a line of cameras, or a new production run for worldwide markets, it's gone. Forever.
It's dead. And it was a dead end from its conception. It was designed o be a quick flick. Nothing more. How "in more dead terms" can we describe its deceased state of existence? It's not 6 ft below, but 70 ft? Is that deep enough in the ground to claim it's gone forever?