Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wow!!! Here Comes Pentax......

[SIZE="3"]:Hi,Folks! Been spying around here for nearly 6months without posting a word,(Toooooo LAZY!!!) But enjoyed all of your posts!!!
Today, in my very 1st post here,i just wanna share the moment of pride (probably too strong a word,but what da hell!!) with all of you Pentaxians around the world... In Today's UK SUNDAY TIMES( April 24), I saw this A4 sized Pentax Ad on the back of inside magazine (Hardly any reader will miss it!!!)
Seeing Pentax Ads or reviews in last few weeks' photo mags is one thing,but this in UK's biggest newspaper is a whole different story......Pentax is reaching out to the audience on the biggest stage!!!(well,in the UK at least)
Pentax's future certainly looks bright!!!(with Hoya's money obviously!)

BTW,Dont you think Pentax is taking the Fashion route by the look of this Ad??? So Why da hell did they let Ben go?????[/
SIZE]

Attached Images

Last edited by Snapshot12; 04-27-2008 at 07:16 PM.
04-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Attached Images

04-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the post Snapshot,

I almost wonder if that is one of Ben's images
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for the post Snapshot,

I almost wonder if that is one of Ben's images
Stu,

I could be wrong, but this does not look quite like Ben's style to me. Further, if it is Ben's, it clearly isn't up to his best standards.

Stephen

04-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

I have to agree with Stephen. This looks like a photoshop creation instead of a fashion shot. Ben's stuff is way higher caliber than this. Which makes one wonder why Pentax would use this type of material, or am I off base here?
04-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope nels, You aren't IMHO. Sure it is eye catching and will do the job fine but if you look at the last series Ben posted, he's head and shoulders above this.

I can't believe they are appealing directly to the P&S shooter with this camera. Isn't that the spot for the K200D?

Btw snapshot, Welcome out of the shadows. Time for some of your shots.
04-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Guys...That is not my work. I saw that image a while ago. I saw the whole series that will come out in the UK...That shot is the Carnival de Venise.

Of course that was when I was privy to information on the inside.

Ben

04-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Not fashion, but Venice Carnival mask indeed. Nice shot, but no where near what Ben does. Most of us can get that shot without too much trouble (there's thousands of these masks in the Venice tourist stalls), getting up to Ben's standards requires much more (talent, equipment, assistants...).

Nice to see Pentax taking things a bit bigger though. Though you might have used a slightly smaller typeface in your post...

Wim
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, that was my 1st time posting here,didnt think they'd come out that BIG...

i didnt think the picture itself was that special in terms of techniques nor did it need to be ,but the way Pentax presents itself to a wide audience in a National newspaper is something exciting and applaudable, simple,yet catchy!!!

i've seen canon and nikon'ads in the same publication in the last few months( a guy with a camera and a jeep in the middle of a desert or a huge 'ugly' D3 or D300 right in the middle of a whole page...) i think Pentax has done a better job with a touch of class and glamour,people will surely take notice,even just to know the name for a start...

If they had put one of Ben's works on there, Pentax's complaints hotline will be bombed by people who bought a K20D and ask why THE camera can't take a picture like the one on the Ad...
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can't believe they are appealing directly to the P&S shooter with this camera. Isn't that the spot for the K200D?
agreed, while I personally don't mind the photo, the P&S reference seems a bit odd, referring to the K20D, which in no way resembles a P&S camera, price, features or otherwise.

The K200D has the scene modes and presets and they could easily make the P&S comparison there.
04-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice ad. Good to see that Pentax is finally spending some money on advertising.
04-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Billboards...

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Nice ad. Good to see that Pentax is finally spending some money on advertising.
There's LOTS of Pentax advertising here in Vancouver - billboards all over the place - big ones, small ones, bus stops, etc.

Now if they could just make a camera that focuses well...

Cheers,
Cameron
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
There's LOTS of Pentax advertising here in Vancouver - billboards all over the place - big ones, small ones, bus stops, etc.

Now if they could just make a camera that focuses well...

Cheers,
Cameron

If they had as much money for R&D as Canikon do, I'm sure AF performance would be up-to-par.
Pentax have been quite sneaky by leapfrogging 2 megapixels and staying ahead on the competition. Now they can concentrate on AF and burst speed for the K30D, and tweaking the sensor for lower noise levels.
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will be happy if I see the prominent ads in/on National Geographic like they used to have when I first started photography. Back then, the Pentax Spotamatic along with the Nikon FTn were THE desirable 35mm cameras and Pentax (through their US distributer Honeywell) spared no expense in putting their product in the public eye (similar to what Canon does today). The Pentax reputation was built on precision manufacturing, superb handling, and optical excellence.

Not much has changed today except for the willingness to promote the product. (Well, not much except for some lenses in the lineup with toy-like build quality .)

Steve
04-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hi Guys...That is not my work. I saw that image a while ago. I saw the whole series that will come out in the UK...That shot is the Carnival de Venise.

Of course that was when I was privy to information on the inside.

Ben
Did they tell you who took it, and how they came upon using that image, and choosing that photographer?

Did the subject ever come up of the possibility of you doing any photography for their ads? If so, how did they explain their decision?