Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Because of the part of Pentax offer that satisfies my need: exceptional lens quality is some range of the Pentax lens lineup. Being fussy and concerned about minute details in image rendering quality, I choose some Pentax lenses that posses qualities I am after.
But you surely can find the same with Canon, right? Because Pentax has nothing truly different (except the SR), and because Canon LISTENS to its users, and responds quickly and efficiently.

By the way, according to the Pentaxforums survey only 3 Pentax lenses had poor SDM reliability. So we're talking about lenses announced in 2007-2008.
Besides, that has nothing to do with weather sealing.

05-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #77
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But you surely can find the same with Canon, right? Because Pentax has nothing truly different (except the SR), and because Canon LISTENS to its users, and responds quickly and efficiently.

By the way, according to the Pentaxforums survey only 3 Pentax lenses had poor SDM reliability. So we're talking about lenses announced in 2007-2008.
Besides, that has nothing to do with weather sealing.
You are forcing an argument, for no good purpose. I have said that some lenses are unique indeed. I have chosen some of those lenses for their optical uniqueness, which I was not able to find anywhere else. I describe it as a happy meeting of aesthetics, technical competence and human touch. Closest second were Leica R lenses, which are unfortunately discontinued long ago. I consider Pentax firstly and exclusively an optics company. Others may think differently.

But that is why I am outraged by Ricoh's poor management behaviour in the most important Pentax asset. Since last Photokina, Pentax has issued only one new lens design for the K-mount. It is insufferable, it is outrageous. Even the Hoya era looks like an oasis compared to the desert of Ricoh's era of lens poverty.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-19-2014 at 02:57 AM.
05-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #78
Pentaxian

I'm just trying to understand your love-hate relation with Pentax

Hoya era... right:
+ pre-Hoya: Pentax was preparing the amazing K10D and a full range of lenses
- by the end of 2007, they had 3 DA Limiteds and 2 DA* lenses (and several others)
+ Pentax merger into Hoya:
- on August 2007, Hoya acquired Pentax Corporation. Dissolving Pentax Corporation scheduled to be completed on 31 March, 2008.
- "Hoya" Pentax lenses possible only after August 2007 + the time necessary for taking control + the time necessary to design a product and ready it for the market.
+ 2008: the year with most lenses announced (8 K-mount lenses); 4 DA* and 1 DA Limited. But those were developed before the takeover. Indeed, at least some of them were presented before then delayed.
+ 2009: the first year where we could assume the "Hoya" Pentax had a significant contribution. 4 K-mount lenses - half of 2008; 1 DA Limited (the 15mm), 2 kit lenses and 1 weather sealed D FA 100mm macro.
+ 2010: now we can clearly see Hoya's contribution: 2 K-mount lenses. The 18-135 and the DA 35mm f/2.4.
+ 2011: 0 K-mount lenses.

So your "oasis" actually means a sharp decline in new lens introductions, then stopping it altogether.
I'd rather have Ricoh Imaging's "poor management".
05-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
This is the reason why a camera with an opening the size of a K-mount can neither be tested nor named under any IP-conditions, too many variables.
Would be interested to hear why you wouldn't test it with a lens over that mount, MMVIII, that being the normal state of affairs!

05-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Would be interested to hear why you wouldn't test it with a lens over that mount, MMVIII, that being the normal state of affairs!
Don't ask me, but the manufacturers ;-) Or can you point me to Any IP-rating for any Dslr of any manufacturer? But I would assume that even if you would test a cam/lens-combination and come to a rating this would only hold true for this combination. You find IP ratings for compacts and the only ILC, to my knowledge (even if not found on their homepage?), carrying a rating of IPx8 is the AW1 from N. "With the special-‐purpose waterproof lens attached, the Camera is rated equivalent to the. JIS/IEC Class 8 (IPX8)". https://www.google.at/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=PPd5U9jbDKia7QbCvoGwDA&ur...LhstQlSo5xAKMw
And you notice: even this camera does not carry an IP/JIS rating, but is equivalent to. I can only think out of warranty reasons...?

Last edited by MMVIII; 05-19-2014 at 05:51 AM.
05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
But I would assume that even if you would test a cam/lens-combination and come to a rating this would only hold true for this combination.
Nothing wrong methodology-wise with that, M.

Any review you've ever read of a camera has actually been about a lens/body combination. :-)
05-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nothing wrong methodology-wise with that, M.

Any review you've ever read of a camera has actually been about a lens/body combination. :-)
Absolutely ;-) Being aware of that also helps to keep some sanity while pixel peeping and avoid disappointment in this area, while in the other area, environmental protection, not being aware of that could be lethal to your equipment. Maybe this is the reason why manufacturers try to play on the safe side...