Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
close of a 30 yrs store selling PENTAX camera, Hong Kong

The news is in Cantonese: ????? ??PENTAX?? ???????? | ???? | ?? | 20140512

After more than 30 yrs, the 'god father' of PENTAX in HK choose to close his store.
The reason is not from online store competition, but due to too many tourists from mainland china to the area, hence a lot more chain stores open in the area and drive rent up. Store mainly serving local community can no longer survive.

The owner talks about his love for PENTAX camera, still think PENTAX camera is the best -- especially in the 'film days'.

For those who can read Chinese and understand Cantonese...

05-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I only understood a few words, but I'm gonna play this a few times to see if I can catch my wife's ear, see if I can get her to have some interest/sympathy for this hobby.
05-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, the owner closes his shop due the increasing pressure of store rental rate in that area. I heard about that place when I was back home visiting some time ago. I suppose he is quite popular in the Pentax community there and hope he continues to support and get support from Ricoh (as he is among the few who gets the early release models from Pentax -every time?).
05-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is very sad news. I lived there for two years and never knew his store existed. Being a Pentaxian in that city is rough life, always dealing with ultra snobby canikonians. Just before I left I found Simcity mall in Mongkok where I found a treasure trove of great used Pentax lenses for good prices. I would have traded that to shop at a real Pentax store.
All the best to him.

05-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

I usually like to talk with pentaxians, olympians and Fuji users. It seems to me they have quite a different vision about photography comparing with the rest.

Sad news for Pentax community
05-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about you posting name, address info and maybe even a google map link here?

A lot of people might want to help him out looking to buy stuff on clearance?
05-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
From the subtitles, the shop is located at Hung Hom Square (紅磡廣場) and the description below says the last day of operation is on 17 May, Saturday.

05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CY_OH Quote
From the subtitles, the shop is located at Hung Hom Square (紅磡廣場) and the description below says the last day of operation is on 17 May, Saturday.
I don't think that they sell online (I could be wrong, not the first time). For those who are close to the shop, hope they can pick up something at lower prices. As for the owner, I wish him well and hope he continues to be an ambassador for Pentax in his neighbourhood.