Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen Pentax in both Costco and Future shop, mega dealers, just not in the last 5 years.

06-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does Rob Ford shoot Pentax? Anyone know? He could do for Pentax what Ashton Kutcher did for Nikon or Andre Agassi for Canon.
06-06-2014, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Does Rob Ford shoot Pentax? Anyone know? He could do for Pentax what Ashton Kutcher did for Nikon or Andre Agassi for Canon.
He's not out of rehab yet.... as far as I know cameras are too complicated for him to figure out. He can't even tell if someone is shooting video of him. But if someone can make a camera someone like him can use, I suspect there's a market.
06-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I spent a couple of years researching DSLRs until finally buying into Pentax (the K5) about 3 years ago. In the end, I decided based on:
  1. In-body shake reduction (⇒ Canon and Nikon out)
  2. Superbly built and very compact lenses (I have 3 Limiteds)
  3. Great high-ISO performance
  4. Very solid weather sealed body.
I have since progressed to the K3. Now, half way through 2014, all those criteria still apply, and I would still choose Pentax if I were starting from scratch. Sure, there are bells and whistles where they are behind the game, but they are not my priorities. And they are still innovating, albeit painfully slowly at times; the K3 is a big leap, and the 645Z looks fabulous. I'm not sure whether or not I care about FF, the K3 probably fills all my photographic needs. I can get Pentax gear at good prices from multiple Australian web stores, so why should I care if they show up at every obscure marketing event.

Pentax is NOT doomed!
Same here. I would add affordability. The lower cost of the same features found on other brands. No one has the features found on the k-50 I bought at that price point. Nor on the two WR lenses I bought new (18-135 as an upgrade to the kit and the 55-300).
Also the optical viewfinder - a MUST in the sunny Middle East.

06-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #50
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Never heard of the "Big" show, maybe it is just a regional thing?
From the Big Photo Show website:

QuoteQuote:
There are two aspects to The Big Photo Show.

First is the event, held in different venues across the United States, where photo enthusiasts can come to see, touch and try the latest in photography gear; meet representatives from the top equipment manufacturers from around the world; learn new ways to hone their skills and take their photography to the next level; and interact with other photographers.

Second is an online community at www.thebigphotoshow.com, where people who love taking pictures – at all levels, from professional photographers to advanced amateurs to beginners – can come to share their knowledge, questions, and passion with each other. The website also offers photo contests with great prizes, tips and tricks from expert photographers, and a calendar of events, where photo enthusiasts can find out what’s happening in the world of photography, right where they live and work.
Like monochrome commented, more of a swap meet type of gathering rather than a brand specific trade show.

I would not expect an official presence from any major camera manufacturer at something like this.
06-06-2014, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

These boys were way ahead of Ashton or Andre.

06-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #52
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Or, why does all this matter? Ricoh/Pentax makes darned fine cameras and I could personally care less where they place their advertising dollars. Gee, they probably spend them where they, as a Corporation, feel they will get the biggest bang for buck.
I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that Ricoh has an entire group of people (or uses a marketing and research firm) who invest a great deal of time and money to determine when, how and where to spend money on marketing and advertising.

06-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #53
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
. . . . . . . . The owner told me Pentax is moving back to smaller dealers again, not focused solely on mega dealers. . . . . . . . . . . . . Pentax selling again in smaller markets is very encouraging!!!
This is really great information. For Pentax to support the "little guys" over the mega dealers shows that they are interested in supporting small businesses, and not the corporate mega giants that employ sales staff who know zero about what they are selling.
06-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #54
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Pentax is doomed!
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
That's NOT how you say Pentax is doomed! I've told you this till I'm BLUE IN THE FACE!!! You have to say it AGAIN, the second time with capital letters and an exclamation point, and separate the two instances by three dots. Come on, man, get it right, FFS!

The proper syntax is...

'Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!'

Ok, got it? We've got some standards around here, traditions to maintain; get with the program!

Cheers,
Cameron
You two need to get on over to this thread: Why I Won't Buy A K-3

Be sure and read every post, there will be a test afterwards.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.
06-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

He's never shot Pentax in his life... He would never do that... He's got more than enough to shoot on his phone! 😆
06-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #56
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
we've been doooomed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9EH1G4EwljM#t=0