Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax a No Show at Big Show

Went to the Big (Photography) Show at the Los Angeles convention center today. Most every major manufacturer, lens maker and local stores were represented. Sony had a large booth. So too Sigma, Tamaron, etc. Other makes represented by extensive displays and hands-on demo models within the large local vendor's booths (Sammy's, Paul's etc.)

Pentax? Well, I did see two damaged boxes of K-50's on a shelf in a booth. Otherwise NOTHING. In the second largest city in America. NOTHING.

The writing is on the wall. With zero support it is just an inevitable business decision that Richoh will not spend any more on R and D and product development for Pentax. The market share is too small and the marketing effort to turn things around will cost too much. Actions speak louder than words. There is simply no action at all.

Look, I love my K-5 and I hope it lasts for a long time. I've enjoyed Pentax since early '70's. I fully expect, however, there will not be a K-1 or anything like in in the future.

05-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
Went to the Big (Photography) Show at the Los Angeles convention center today. Most every major manufacturer, lens maker and local stores were represented. Sony had a large booth. So too Sigma, Tamaron, etc. Other makes represented by extensive displays and hands-on demo models within the large local vendor's booths (Sammy's, Paul's etc.)

Pentax? Well, I did see two damaged boxes of K-50's on a shelf in a booth. Otherwise NOTHING. In the second largest city in America. NOTHING.

The writing is on the wall. With zero support it is just an inevitable business decision that Richoh will not spend any more on R and D and product development for Pentax. The market share is too small and the marketing effort to turn things around will cost too much. Actions speak louder than words. There is simply no action at all.

Look, I love my K-5 and I hope it lasts for a long time. I've enjoyed Pentax since early '70's. I fully expect, however, there will not be a K-1 or anything like in in the future.
Except there was a K3 and a 645z...
05-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a strange decision that no one appeared, but I'll hang on for a few more decades before throwing in the K-towel Besides, we've been doooomed for so long, we just can't be hurt any longer.
05-18-2014, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax is doomed!

05-18-2014, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

It is fallacious to transpose the state of affairs in your own country to the whole world.

Pentax do not have the means to engage in in-your-face marketing like more popular brands. What I read into this is that the American market is not something that is being prioritised by Pentax, and such a decision is most probably based on a thorough evaluation of the American market. Pentax do not deem it likely that a breakthrough is possible in America.

There are people here who seem to think that absence from a given market equals bad marketing on the part of Pentax. This is a crude, simplistic, and wrong view. Rather than engaging in spam marketing, Pentax's strategy consists in targetting specific markets that have been singled out beforehand. I have noted for instance that Pentax are very visible in half a dozen Asian countries with emerging middle classes with money to burn. Pentax have done their homework; they are no idiots.
05-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had never heard of this show. Looks like it would have been interesting.

Most every major manufacturer, lens maker and local stores were represented.
I reviewed The Big Photo Show website - yes, Sigma, Sony, Fujifilm and Tamron are listed as Exhibitors, amongst other names. However, I see no indication of Nikon or Canon. Were they also 'no shows'?

- Craig
05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It is a strange decision that no one appeared, but I'll hang on for a few more decades before throwing in the K-towel Besides, we've been doooomed for so long, we just can't be hurt any longer.
Same here. A few more decades will tell.

I'll be happy if I can still use my K-1000 when I'm in a wheelchair. No digital body will ever last that long. But, I have all the glass and film bodies I'll ever need.

05-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is odd no one showed. Our local show had a massive amount of Pentax. The ads for the show even had the 645z on the advertising space... No canon nor Nikon, just pentax.
05-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

https://www.thebigphotoshow.com/the-big-photo-show-exhibitors-and-sponsors-la-2014.aspx.

Canon is right there between Cam Caddie and Clicker and Flickers. Oh wait. No they aren't.
But surely Nikon can be found between Nations Photo Lab and On the Wall gallery and frame.. Um, hold on, they aren't there either.
Well at least Olympus showed up - Not!
Hey Sony and Panasonic are there!
05-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have some support for this rather bold statement or are you just stating your opinion? Curious as all other factors seem to indicate a large increase in focused R&D, with new products already delivered and more in the pipeline. Ricoh also seems to be showing an increase in marketing support world wide.

Never heard of the "Big" show, maybe it is just a regional thing?
05-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They didn't show up at PhotoPlus last year either. These shows are expensive- hopefully they (Pentax USA) are using the funds for something more productive, and hopefully we'll see them there this year

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
https://www.thebigphotoshow.com/the-big-photo-show-exhibitors-and-sponsors-la-2014.aspx.

Canon is right there between Cam Caddie and Clicker and Flickers. Oh wait. No they aren't.
But surely Nikon can be found between Nations Photo Lab and On the Wall gallery and frame.. Um, hold on, they aren't there either.
Well at least Olympus showed up - Not!
Hey Sony and Panasonic are there!
C.R.I.S was there. .

Aside from the three big makers mentioned it looks like KEH, used photo dealers and commercial frame shops to me. More or less a giant swap meet.
05-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, I understand the reactions. I'm pretty invested too. Actually completely invested.

Meanwhile I got to play with some pretty cool stuff including Nikon and Canon at Sammy's and Paul's booths. I think that the larger photo stores must get some bucks for presenting a particular manufacturer within their larger booth.

Tamron was disappointing as the woman there said they don't do Pentax mounts. The Sigma stuff there was nice to see/hold/ and feel. Now I know why Adam's reviews talk about their heft and weight. I'll stick with my (many) Pentax lenses. The Olympus cameras were really retro. Looked like the old OM-1 film cameras. Not bad for a bankrupt scandal plagued company. Fuji was ehh. The new full frame Sony's were really really cool. The classes running all day were interesting as were the model shoots and demos. The Arca-Swiss booth (Large format film and digital! Wow! How esoteric.) folks were very nice and were interested in seeing the new 645 themselves. Sammy's had a whole display of underwater housings and they said they are considering doing one for the 645. KEH was buying stuff. Some interesting software demos from Topaz etc. Used stuff would have been nice to play with as Monochrome suggested but I didn't see much there (well, maybe the two opened K-50s...) outside of a single part of one booth.

I just wanted to see/hold/play with a K-3. Is that too much to ask for? One day I will buy a new camera after all........
05-18-2014, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is not enough evidence to say that Ricoh is not going to invest anymore funds to the Pentax R&D. Since last year new products were introduced; flash units, TCs, the K-3, the film copier, the 645Z and so on. The k-mount road map has been updated and I believe all these actions point more to the direction of keeping Pentax alive.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-18-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
mee
Veteran Member

One negatively perceived event and you're ready to throw in the towel? What about the already mentioned 645Z? The K-3 is still pretty fresh and not a Hoya era product (tmk). The DA 20-40mm.. the TC.. surely you see that Ricoh themselves aren't throwing in the towel. They're just warming up..