Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was very surprised to find out that my sort of local (30 miles away in Raleigh, NC) camera store is once again selling Pentax. I actually got to shoot a few test frames with a 645D on Saturday (they have two) and they will be getting a 645Z in a few weeks. They sold a K-3 kit earlier in the day. The owner told me Pentax is moving back to smaller dealers again, not focused solely on mega dealers. A few years ago I had to buy my K-5 online because at the time there wasn't even a Pentax store in Atlanta (6 hours away)! Closest brick and mortar store was near DC (4 to 5 hours away). Pentax selling again in smaller markets is very encouraging!!!

05-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Well in Denmark there is not 1 B&M shop who has Pentax,market share here is very low..most here want Canikon & then Sony, so of course shops won't deal with gear they can't sell.A few online shops have some Pentax gear,so there is some hope,at least for those of us who are already hooked on Pentax
05-22-2014, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In the 24 years that I've been a sales rep for one large manufacturer or another, I've heard lots of retailers and wholesalers tell this canard; in fact, I might have used it myself once or twice. If you are big enough to have millions invested in a product line, your pricing strategy isn't determined by the amount of advertising you buy. Sometimes there is an inverse relationship, because the customer perceives that advertising is used to convey more value than there really is, and the customer subconsciously discounts heavily advertised goods. One example is BMW which spends less than average on advertising, to support the perception of exclusivity.

A trade show targeted at consumers is an excuse for a sales event, where multiple vendors pool their resources to create publicity. Very few camera manufacturers sell directly to consumers, and Pentax has a very small presence with camera retailers in the U.S. It shouldn't be surprising that Pentax is not visible at this show.
Well, thank you so much for talking some sense on the subject of advertising. I created and ran an in house advertising agency for the leading U.S. manufacturer of specialty coiled aluminum sheet for manufacturing, so I speak with some authority. We were clients of an East Side Manhatten advertising agency previously.

How much insight does it really take to comprehend that your advertising budget is not a cost factor, as in: money lost you have to make up elsewhere. It is a PROFIT GENERATING investment... and product pricing depends on market demand, considered in light of one's production capacity, economies of scale, etc.

Local retailers, for instance, have said to me, "I tried advertising, and it didn't work." My response: "Advertising ALWAYS works -- If it didn't work for you, you were doing it wrong!" Not exactly surprising, since these are invariably people who didn't have any genuine plan in place and effectively lacked the intelligence and critical thinking skills to have a meaningful comprehension of their own state of ignorance. There is a reason you have pros. I have been flamed here a couple of times on economic matters by people plainly ignorant of fundamentals you'd get in any decent Economics 101 course as a freshman in college. I find the mixed emotions evoked by such needlessly hostile, aggressive, and incomprehending criticism (including what humor I can draw) a bit disconcerting, personally. It's a sign of the times, I guess: "Internet Expertise".

There's a reason that a company which sells... well, "soap"... spends billions on advertising. Notorious "sure things": Death... taxes... advertising (done competently). -- Fred
05-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #34
Banned

Better than term advertising, businesses should use term — communication.
While most types of advertising is selling, and which is nothing but a monologue, communication is a two way conversation. A dialogue. There must be presence and interest on both sides. To create interest there must be desire and intrigue. The aim is not to sell, but to educate and create a necessity for companionship. That is primary act. Secondary act, buying, follows then naturally.

05-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I was very surprised to find out that my sort of local (30 miles away in Raleigh, NC) camera store is once again selling Pentax. I actually got to shoot a few test frames with a 645D on Saturday (they have two) and they will be getting a 645Z in a few weeks. They sold a K-3 kit earlier in the day. The owner told me Pentax is moving back to smaller dealers again, not focused solely on mega dealers. A few years ago I had to buy my K-5 online because at the time there wasn't even a Pentax store in Atlanta (6 hours away)! Closest brick and mortar store was near DC (4 to 5 hours away). Pentax selling again in smaller markets is very encouraging!!!
Pentax had a large booth at CES last winter as well as a fully-booked conference room. I have heard (though I know nothing!!) their presentation centered around profit margins for Dealers and a demonstration of how a Pentax 'New Distribution' can yield more profit / cubic foot than Brand C and Brand N and Brand S. I further understand there was discussion of future plans to support the Pentax brand in local markets where their cameras are in B&M Dealers.

I recently read on this website Pentax has 94 new Dealer Agreements since January 1st. Ninety Four. Maybe that number is inflated - I just read it. I know nothing.

Advertising is wonderful, but there is no substitute for a good product, properly priced at wholesale, accompanied by a whole lot of legwork by the Distributor. Over time, if promises are actually kept and Dealer profits realized, the brand actually develops a reputation with the Dealers, who should then verify the brand to their store customers.

It isn't impossible. It isn't even rocket science. It's just hard work. It is amazing what one can accomplish with just a lot of hard work.

I remain optimistic about Pentax as a brand globally and in the USA and about Ricoh as a corporate parent to and steward of Pentax.
05-23-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
That's NOT how you say Pentax is doomed! I've told you this till I'm BLUE IN THE FACE!!! You have to say it AGAIN, the second time with capital letters and an exclamation point, and separate the two instances by three dots. Come on, man, get it right, FFS!

The proper syntax is...

'Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!'

Ok, got it? We've got some standards around here, traditions to maintain; get with the program!

Cheers,
Cameron
My apologies! I'll try to get it right next time!
05-24-2014, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
The owner told me Pentax is moving back to smaller dealers again, not focused solely on mega dealers.
When was Pentax ever focused on "mega dealers"? Must have been before my lifetime, lol. I've never seen a Pentax DSLR in a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, or any of the other "mega dealers" in my area.

05-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Why does Pentax have do follow the herd?...It's never done so before.
05-25-2014, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I spent a couple of years researching DSLRs until finally buying into Pentax (the K5) about 3 years ago. In the end, I decided based on:
  1. In-body shake reduction (⇒ Canon and Nikon out)
  2. Superbly built and very compact lenses (I have 3 Limiteds)
  3. Great high-ISO performance
  4. Very solid weather sealed body.
I have since progressed to the K3. Now, half way through 2014, all those criteria still apply, and I would still choose Pentax if I were starting from scratch. Sure, there are bells and whistles where they are behind the game, but they are not my priorities. And they are still innovating, albeit painfully slowly at times; the K3 is a big leap, and the 645Z looks fabulous. I'm not sure whether or not I care about FF, the K3 probably fills all my photographic needs. I can get Pentax gear at good prices from multiple Australian web stores, so why should I care if they show up at every obscure marketing event.

Pentax is NOT doomed!
05-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
When was Pentax ever focused on "mega dealers"? Must have been before my lifetime, lol. I've never seen a Pentax DSLR in a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, or any of the other "mega dealers" in my area.

By "mega dealers" I meant the likes of Adorama and B&H in U.S., those with high volume camera sales.
05-25-2014, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
During the Hoya era the minimum order/stocking requirements were raised so high, and the payment terms reduced so that small camera shops were forced to drop the line. I don't know if that was intentional to focus on 'mega dealers' or just a business plan that sounded good in the board room. But the result was many small shops just dropped Pentax because they could not afford the inventory. I was told by one shop owner he would have had to buy more than he sold in two years just to make the minimum.

Maybe it really did not matter as the small shops were already dying but at least in the USA it had the result of reducing even further the Pentax foot print, just at the time they needed to have a bigger one.

Of course the upside is they did not get hurt when some of the regional camera chains went under still owing Nikon/Canon a bundle.
05-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I used to be bothered by the fact that Pentax did not advertise in big magazines like Popular Photography. Back in the '70's they used to have a lock on the inside page...which is the most expensive and valued advert spot in a magazine.

But funny thing....I was looking at my latest edition of Pop Photography and noted that Canon did not have any advertisements and Nikon just had one of their Nikon trips somewhere photogenic. I may have missed something...after all...I'm getting old and feeble.

So, I thought to myself, maybe print advertising ain't the fashionable place to hawk your wares anymore ?

What do I know though....I use Pentax equipment.
05-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon advertise on TV. I think that if I ever saw a Pentax commercial on TV, I'd fall out of my chair. The closest I've seen is that home insurance commercial where the sexy-cat-burglar insurance agent can be seen replacing a stolen 35mm SLR with a Pentax K-01.
06-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Some positive news..so must eat my previous words..our local photo store (small town about 10.000 pop.) Northern Denmark will start to deal with Pentax again,maybe cause I ask him every time..any Pentax gear in today so something in the dealer/distribution area has changed for the better
06-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Henry's Exposure show in the biggest city in Canada..
Exposure - Photo & Video Imaging Expo 2014

Check them out, Booth 164
Exposure Photo & Video Imaging Expo - Floor Map

And Ricoh will be there. Last year they let me play with the DA 560mm and updated all my firmware on 4 cameras. Two years ago, I spent some time with a 645D. Maybe you just need to make a trip to Toronto, the centre of the known universe.
I sense that since the Rob Ford fiascos Toronto has become so modest, only the centre of the KNOWN universe no longer the centre of the entire universe.

City of just over 60 000 with a very sparse surrounding population (some areas south of us might have 1 person per square mile if that) and yet there are at least two places on can buy Pentaxs and in Calgary Pentax has a good presence. I suspect that for the 645Z other means of promotion are better than the Big Show. If or when they produce a FF or release a major upgrades to their existing line immediately prior to the trade shows there would be a better reason to be involved. Pentax users are still the best promotion that the brand could have.