Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Unless something has changed recently, Sony has partial ownership of Tamron - that always helps
This is the first time I've seen that mentioned, but that would certainly explain why Tamron has recently started to freeze out the K-mount. I imagine that Sony and Pentax attract similar DSLR customers...people who want something besides Canon and Nikon, and value some of the unique features like in-body stabilization.

In the past, lack of support from Tamron probably wouldn't matter much. But if they keep coming out with compelling lenses like the 16-300mm, 150-600mm, and the new 75-300mm, then it could have an impact on some DSLR buyers.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-04-2014 at 10:38 PM.
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
at least in the low light a soccer mom or dad has to cope with...
I used to be a soccer dad, and it seemed to me that soccer parents fell into three groupings, those who brought a phone camera to take team pictures, those that brought a point and shoot and tried to record video, and those who went all in with expensive DSLRs and even more expensive glass, trying to getting a reputation as "the" photographer on the team. A 15x zoom lens has too slow of a maximum aperture at the long end to be better than a "normal" telephoto zoom in low light and if your zoom is set to less than 60mm you are too close to the players. I experimented photographing a high school basketball game and this was at 53mm with the shooter about 20 feet away from me. 40% of my shots were at 135mm, less than 5% were below 68mm. DSLRs with a superzoom mounted are too big to throw in a purse or jacket, and you don't need the wide end for shooting sports, so that eliminates them as a truly casual walkaround kit and offers no advantages over a telephoto zoom for sports photography.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
This is the first time I've seen that mentioned, but that would certainly explain why Tamron has recently started to freeze out the K-mount. I imagine that Sony and Pentax attract similar DSLR customers...people who want something besides Canon and Nikon, and value some of the unique features like in-body stabilization.

In the past, lack of support from Tamron probably wouldn't matter much. But if they keep coming out with compelling lenses like the 18-300mm, 150-600mm, and the new 75-300mm, then it could have an impact on some DSLR buyers.
I dunno. Since Tamron will sell lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts - arguably much more threatening competitors to Sony than Pentax - and Sony will sell sensors to almost any camera maker, I don't believe any Sony stake in Tamron is a factor in the lack of support for the K-mount. I honestly believe it's more a case of there not being enough expected sales to be worth the effort. Unless Ricoh itself wanted to help fund a Pentax-branded version with Pentax proprietary coatings and guaranteed it would buy a certain number of units.
06-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past, lack of support from Tamron probably wouldn't matter much. But if they keep coming out with compelling lenses like the 18-300mm, 150-600mm, and the new 75-300mm, then it could have an impact on some DSLR buyers.
I'm probably trading my K-5 for a D7000 because of this lens.

06-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You probably won't be the only one to abandon Pentax due to the 150-600mm. Even if somebody choose to go to a dual-system, then it is still money out of Pentax/Ricoh's pocket.
06-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You probably won't be the only one to abandon Pentax due to the 150-600mm. Even if somebody choose to go to a dual-system, then it is still money out of Pentax/Ricoh's pocket.
I think Pentax missed what the scene consumer base was crying for when they screamed for long lenses. Pentax listened with one ear and provided the 560/5.6, a lens out of reach even for most prosumers and so closely matching the already existent Sigma 500/4. If they would have went for something like the Tamron 150-600 or a decently cheap 400/5.6 people would probably have been queuing.

At least there is a longish zoom on the roadmap. If they make it WR and put the price ~1000€ they may calm down some parts of the scene. At least the demand for the new TC should show them the potential market they have left to explore.
06-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I got an older Canon 40D specifically for the 150-600 (sold the K-mount Sigma 150-500 which was an OK lens). The Tamron has been on back-order since Feb 16....they have been reworking the firmware to fix an "older-Canon body AI focus" issue... Ha-ha on me. However I have a 17mm TS-E arriving tomorrow :-) Somehow I have spent too much...

06-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Somehow I have spent too much...
I hate when that happens! (But my wife hates it even more!)
06-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think that Tamron abandoning PK was Sony's fault.
What I believe though, is that Tamron would have abandoned Sony too if Sony wasn't part owner of Tamron.
06-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't think that Tamron abandoning PK was Sony's fault.
What I believe though, is that Tamron would have abandoned Sony too if Sony wasn't part owner of Tamron.
Sony are not only one of the biggest shareholders in Tamron, they are also their first client: Tamron is their provider of smartphone lenses.
06-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony are not only one of the biggest shareholders in Tamron, they are also their first client: Tamron is their provider of smartphone lenses.
Yep and a couple rebadged SLR lenses btw.
06-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #27
Site Supporter

If only Ricoh would get them and rebadge the 150-600 and possibly the on referenced in this thread. They did it with the 18-270. Sure, it would be annoying to pay a couple hundred in Pentax Premium, but it would get that availability there.
06-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wonder why Tamron seems to have ditched Pentax.
Maybe Pentax is branding the same lens !!!
06-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If only Ricoh would get them and rebadge the 150-600 and possibly the on referenced in this thread. They did it with the 18-270. Sure, it would be annoying to pay a couple hundred in Pentax Premium, but it would get that availability there.
Tamron can't make enough to meet demand now. The 'Pentax Premium' would turn an $1,100 lens into a $1,500 lens. I would still trade my K-5 for a D7000 and use the $400 to buy the 85 1.8G...
06-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

In the past, Pentax had Zeiss, etc.

If Tamron's gone then Pentax has only Sigma (and Samyang). Sigma's the best one to have, but other mounts also have Tamron, Zeiss, Tokina, Voigtlander, all of which have great lenses.