Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any more news on the new Tamron 16-300?

I go this email from Tamron today about their new 16-300 mm lens. Has this been out for a while or is it new? I don't think it is for a Pentax K mount.

Here is the link: May 2014 Enewsletter, Photo Division, Tamron USA

05-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can read a bit more about the lens here:
New Tamron 16-300mm for Nikon - Photo Industry News - News - Front Page Posts - NikonForums.com

It's only for Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully we will see a similar version as we did with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-250 mm lens, based on a Tamron 18-250 mm lens.

You also get moe info about it here: Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Lens
05-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't have a Tamron lens. I've often wondered how good are Tamron, compared to say Sigma ?

05-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder why Tamron seems to have ditched Pentax.
05-20-2014, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wonder why Tamron seems to have ditched Pentax.
Why else, no $$$ selling lenses for Pentax.
05-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't have a Tamron lens. I've often wondered how good are Tamron, compared to say Sigma ?
They're both pretty good, but Sigma has a much larger lineup with more premium lenses. Most of Tamron's latest lenses are only for Canon and Nikon at the moment.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why else, no $$$ selling lenses for Pentax.
I can accept that the marginals for bringing lenses in Pentax mount is small but I find the possibility that Sony is so much much better highly unlikely. I wonder if there is some cash, parts or deals flowing between Sony and Tamron.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 02:08 AM ----------

"Sony Corporation maintains an 11% share hold in Tamron, making it the second largest shareholder below New Well Co., Ltd. with 17.34%."
Tamron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, that explains a lot.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 02:12 AM ----------

Shareholders Number of shares held
(Thousands of shares) Percentage of shares held(%)
1 New Well Co., Ltd. 4,898 17.81
2 Sony Corporation 3,129 11.38
3 Kouyu Kosan Co., Ltd. 1,529 5.56
4 Saitama Resona Bank Limited. 1,122 4.08
5 BNP PARIBAS SEC SERVICES LUXEMBOURG/ JASDEC/ ABERDEEN GLOBAL CLIENT ASSETS 1.069 3.88
6 The Master Trust Bank of Japan, Ltd. (trust account) 1.029 3.74
7 Japan Trustee Services Bank, Ltd. (trust account) 899 3.26
8 GOLDMAN, SACHS & CO. REG 784 2.85
9 JP MORGAN CHASE BANK 385174 619(Thousands of shares) 2.25
10 Nippon Life Insurance Company 480 1.74
Total 15,561 56.58

TAMRON | Investor Relations
05-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can accept that the marginals for bringing lenses in Pentax mount is small but I find the possibility that Sony is so much much better highly unlikely. I wonder if there is some cash, parts or deals flowing between Sony and Tamron.
Sony doesn't seem to be getting priority as far as availability is concerned (at B&H, usually we see Canon stock first, then Nikon, then after a while, Sony), but don't they have 20-30% of mirrorless market share?

Adam

05-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sony doesn't seem to be getting priority as far as availability is concerned (at B&H, usually we see Canon stock first, then Nikon, then after a while, Sony), but don't they have 20-30% of mirrorless market share?
Of course no, it would be suicide to not feed the Canikons. Though there is no real reason to chose Sony over Pentax all the time for SLR lenses, except some defensive business actions by Sony. The mirrorless market is another segment.
05-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentor Quote
Hopefully we will see a similar version as we did with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-250 mm lens, based on a Tamron 18-250 mm lens.
We already have

Pentax-DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

Adam

06-01-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Unless something has changed recently, Sony has partial ownership of Tamron - that always helps
06-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the 15x and up interchangeable superzoom lenses as a orphan product. They are only feasible with APS-C cameras, where body only buyers are trying to hang onto their existing lens collection (so they have no intention of limiting themselves to one lens for every situation); they are too expensive to be a kit lens, so the typical new APS-C buyer who buys a kit will have the bottom range covered, and if s/he is going to spend ~$700 extra, will be looking for a higher quality piece of glass to complement or replace the kits lens; and the customer for a $700 lens won't rate super-convenience as highly as some of the other characteristics s/he is looking for in purchasing after-the-body accessories. If you never intend to take the lens off of your camera, why buy an interchangeable lens camera?
06-02-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If you never intend to take the lens off of your camera, why buy an interchangeable lens camera?
Because a dslr with eg this Tamron lens gives you better pictures than a super zoom, at least in the low light a soccer mom or dad has to cope with...
06-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Unless something has changed recently, Sony has partial ownership of Tamron - that always helps
Indeed. This is THE reason for that situation IMO.