Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm pretty sure the DA*16-50 is not FF....anything wide angle isn't unless it has a massive front element. E.g., the Sigma 17-70 and 10-20 both have clipped corners at all focal lengths on FF.
As for why it's not marketed as DFA, that would mean they'd have to commit to FF publicly ;-)
Just from what I've seen with the 16-50 on my MX, it's not FF compatable. However, I think it would work with a 1.2/1.3x cropped sensor as it's image circle is a fair bit bigger than the da 14mm's image circle.

05-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestion: let's make a DA FF test database

Hi, I agree that a FF Pentax/Samsung in 2009 is imminent.

Now, with that being settled for the time being...

How about a test database of DA glass on FF bodies (as been tested on film bodies plus scanner)? Should really be a new topic, maybe even a new category in the lens database. But let's test the subject in this thread here first as it fits the OP...

To make a start.

Here goes a test with FF images!! of DA 40 Ltd. and DA 70 Ltd. on full frame bodies:

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - DA 70 an "Vollformat"?

The images don't cross-link you you would have to click there. It is a German forum but the images will speak for themselves.

I believe we can do what our fellows did in their German forum, and better! (crops, more lenses, a database etc.)

To quote two results:

DA 40mm is very soft in the extreme outmost corners fully open (and soft at f/5.6). Usable. And tack-sharp for larger than APS-C.

DA 70mm is better and looks sharp over the entire image circle at 1024px web resolutions. May be tack-sharp for FF.

Everybody notice the images' black borders? Yes, film has black borders!
05-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
perhaps thats the delay with 60-250, needs to be made ff capable ?????????????????

On the first roadmap the 60-250 was labeled D FA lens; ie full frame. It could be aprinting error but then maybe not...
05-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
On the first roadmap the 60-250 was labeled D FA lens; ie full frame. It could be aprinting error but then maybe not...
I don't remember the 60-250 being D-FA but the 200 and 300 sure were D-Fa until recently...

Let's hope all those are FF compatible and wait and see ...

05-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi, I agree that a FF Pentax/Samsung in 2009 is imminent.

Now, with that being settled for the time being...

How about a test database of DA glass on FF bodies (as been tested on film bodies plus scanner)?
We should definitely do this. I started a thread on this topic a couple of month ago to collect some information on FF ability, with quite a number of interesting replies. I'm absolutely sure that there will be a FF Pentax, someday.

Please have a look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25132-da-lense...e-capable.html
05-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
Yes, that's what I'm wondering for years: Why don't they stop developing rectangular sensors?

While a round one might be difficult to manufacture, why not a square one?

36 x 36 mm, that yould be just perfect! Maybe combined with some mechanism to show a vertical or horizontal 3:2 crop in the viewfinder...?
A 36x36 sensor would require an image circle of 51mm whereas a 135 FF only requires a 43mm image circle, so even your FA lenses would vignette. If you want a square sensor in the 135 image circle it would be 30x30mm

Nick
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #52
Forum Member

Limited Body

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
I think ff is inevitable, sony nikon and canon are all to release new ff this year. I think samsung will be pushing for it (or perhaps even building it and pentax then rebadge) even if pentax are not so keen.

But putting the rumors together we could see the line being

kxxxd entry level below k200d
k200d 10mp
k20d 14mp
kxd pro spec apsc 14mp with new af / metering / fps
kffd - I think I saw someone mentioning 29mp (but I can't find it now)
kbiggerffd - although not the 645d, it can take 645 lenses and a convertor? for k mount lenses at about 38mp.

Phil
Where's the limited body to match the limited lenses? I'm thinking something the size of the MZ-S, LX, or *istD (or even MX) with style and build quality to match the lenses. Needs a decent viewfinder, but current AF, FPS (or even manual "wind-on" would suit me), and 14Mp APS sensor would be fine. A "jewel" of a camera.

I'm waiting for one of these, cheque book in hand.

Nick

05-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickC Quote
Where's the limited body to match the limited lenses? I'm thinking something the size of the MZ-S, LX, or *istD (or even MX) with style and build quality to match the lenses. Needs a decent viewfinder, but current AF, FPS (or even manual "wind-on" would suit me), and 14Mp APS sensor would be fine. A "jewel" of a camera.

Nick
since the dp1 (the little street shooter thing) I thought that is an obvious market for pentax with its pancakes...
05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Nick
Reading the manual of the K10d I bought 2 weeks ago , I am thinking there's a lot of
gimmickry with this camera , maybe 30% really useless stuff.

Like your idea , thoiugh
05-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
you forgot what nikon has done, simply turn off the edges of the sensor when using aps-c sized glass. no problem for pentax going forward.

So you pay 3000 euros to have same quality (or less) than an APS-C sensor?
05-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I started a thread on this topic a couple of month ago to collect some information on FF ability
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25132-da-lense...e-capable.html
Unfortunately, this thread did not bring up quantified data. Only some thumbnails from YarPcola with the lenshood of his 10-17mm But your thread was appreciated.

We now need to go beyond and produce own real data.

We should definitely do this.
Any more opinions out there?

@Adam: How about a lens database category for full-frame? If it existed, I would make resolution test shots with the lenses I have (vignetting is easy to see and correct if weak).

I guess more and more people will take FF into account with their lens buying decisions and this site could become THE source of information (hint hint hint hint hint hint )
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Assuming that Pentax is coming out with a FF DSLR, they would be smart to take an idea from the Nikon D3 and have the cropped sensor feature, which would allow both APS-C and full frame lenses to be used on the same body with good results. I think it's a very Pentax idea, allowing for the most flexibility with lenses; after spending $2500 on a body, most people couldn't afford to run out and replace their DA lenses with FF-compatible lenses.

Needless to say, unless a huge pile of cash falls into my lap, I couldn't afford to spend that much on a body, anyhow.

What I could very possibly afford is a smaller Pentax body that would be able to compete with the Sigma DP1. The way Pentax could get a leg up on Sigma is to design it as a poor shooter's Leica--rangefinder size with interchangable lenses--similar to the Oly E420, but even smaller. I could go for something like that

Heather
05-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been waiting since 1998...

Nick
when the Limiteds first came out. They didn't even make a film body to match. MZ-S was close, but no cigar.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Hi all

So it seems that a Samsung FF DSLR is now definitely on the cards.....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/233302-post1.html

Let's hope it's gonna come supplied with a Pentax K-mount and an APS-C mode, guaranteeing backwards compatibility for assisting the majority of existing & future users ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-02-2008 at 12:59 PM.
05-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
an APS-C mode, guaranteeing backwards compatibility
Maybe, we stop making this trivial proposal. It is self-evident and even if absent, cropping images is, as I said, a trivial thing to do. Moreover, most APS-C lenses will have their image circle somewhere in between APS-C and FF, depending on zoom and aperture, so I definitely will want to crop myself! (It will be ok though if the Pentax FF crops in JPEG mode and writes a"crop advice" into the RAW file)

What we SHOULD propose however is another trivial proposal:

That the forthcoming Pentax FF doesn't plain refuse to work with a DA lens ...

@Adam: still no statement about the FF database?