Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe DNG, International Standard?

Looks like Adobe is thinking of submitting DNG to the ISO, as a way of generating more "push" for the DNG standard, possible native Windows support also. See here:
Adobe toys with standardizing DNG raw photo format | Underexposed - CNET News.com

NaCl(I'm all for it)H2O

05-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Good on them.
05-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

It wouldn't hurt their case if they released a Vista codec for DNG..

dave
05-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
It wouldn't hurt their case if they released a Vista codec for DNG..

dave
I don't have Vista, but I thought it did display DNG thumbnails.

NaCl(another reason not to upgrade)H2O

05-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nah, no thumbnails for DNGs. I think that there is a commercial Vista DNG codec that you can buy on the web.

As an aside, Pentax released a codec for PEFs that works fine for *istD & K10D PEFs but not for K20D PEFs.

dave
05-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
no proprietary formats

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

NaCl(another reason not to upgrade)H2O
Vista does not natively display proprietary image formats - however, the released codec's are available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/ProPhoto/ Just click the download codecs spot.

Yes, there is a RC for DNG but it is not by Adobe and it costs 30 USD. Adobe has stated several times that it is working on a codec, but it appears that this is on the back burner --- way back on the back burner.

MS will not develop codecs for proprietary file formats because they would get sued. They are already the ATM for the EU, Sun and Novell - why add Adobe?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
05-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What I find intriguing is that Picasa, Photo Mechanic, and various other programs WILL recognize the DNG files from my K10D and my K20D and display them properly, BUT the latest version of DxO Optics Pro won't.

DxO basically say "Bad luck" when asked why. The program recognizes the DNG files from the K10D, but not from the K20D.

If Adobe are keen to promote DNG as an open standard, much like PDF is, then I can't see why companies like DxO won't put DNG recognition into their programs.

Or even Microsoft, for Vista. That's for anyone who actually uses Vista.... I know, I know - that's opening a whole new can of worms...!
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To repeat myself.

MS does not - repeat NOT - create codecs for proprietary file formats. That is left up to the vendor. MS will not design, implement or even think about releasing a file format that is not a international standard. For more information go here:
Windows Imaging Component Overview
and here for default file types supported out of the box. Windows Imaging Component Overview

Note: DNG is a proprietary format owned and specified by Adobe. If MS were to create their own version they would get sued or Adobe would go whining to the DOJ or better the EU. If Adobe presents the DNG format to either the JPEG or ISO group - that would be a good thing, the Open RAW people have been argueing for a "standard" for some time now. OpenRAW | Digital Image Preservation Through Open Documentation At present there are no "recognized Open RAW" formats. DNG comes close, but if you read some of the comments by the Open RAW org, DNG is proprietary. Read this Articles | OpenRAW not very flattering eh?

Oh - I do use Vista and I have only one 15 year old program that does not run with it, so far everything else is running just fine. I am running it on 5 year old hardware with a 6 year old graphics card. No problems - the only bad thing I have had was 1 blue screen due to memory allocation in Lightroom 1.1 (Adobe strikes again) and a series of boot failures on my new SATA RAID controller until I updated the drivers.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL