Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax on MSN.com - lame, just plain lame

This morning, MSN.com had a picture of a K10D as part of a link describing the "5 best SLR Cameras". Well, this was just lame, their 5 best cameras did not even include a Pentax in the list. Their #1 choice was an Olympus E510. How could the E510 be listed a best? These people obviously know nothing. For the list see > The 5 Best SLR Cameras - MSN Tech & Gadgets - Slide Shows - Guides - 1

If you click on the Pentax camera on the link, rather than the text "5 Best SLR Camers", it take you to a video telling you that super zoom cameras are the best choice, saying that dSLR's are too big and complicated. The Pentax K10D is held up in the video as the example of being too big and complicated. For the video see > MSN Tech & Gadgets - Gear Daddy

Anyway, here's the pic from MSN.com

Last edited by xs400; 05-30-2008 at 08:44 AM.
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Talking about MSN, did it ever crossed in you mind that someday M$ will jump into DSLR business? They're (considered) successfully jumped in mobile phone and console gadget market?

How's about Korean company like LG? I'm pretty sure they have considered jumped in DSLR business long time ago as its rival (Samsung) already did. And Sony did it too.

kyrios
05-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
This morning, MSN.com had a picture of a K10D as part of a link describing the "5 best SLR Cameras". Well, this was just lame, their 5 best cameras did not even include a Pentax in the list. Their #1 choice was an Olympus E510. How could the E510 be listed a best? These people obviously know nothing....

If you click on the Pentax camera on the link, rather than the text "5 Best SLR Camers", it take you to a video telling you that super zoom cameras are the best choice, saying that dSLR's are too big and complicated. The Pentax K10D is held up in the video as the example of being too big and complicated.
As a Mac user, those opinions and misdirections are pretty much what I expect from Microshaft.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyrios Quote
Talking about MSN, did it ever crossed in you mind that someday M$ will jump into DSLR business? They're (considered) successfully jumped in mobile phone and console gadget market?

How's about Korean company like LG? I'm pretty sure they have considered jumped in DSLR business long time ago as its rival (Samsung) already did. And Sony did it too.

kyrios
The difference is that Samsung, Sony and LG were established names in consumer electronics. MS is a software company that makes some hardware (Xbox). Samsung got into DSLRs by partnering with Pentax, and Sony did it by buying Konica-Minolta. Besides, I think the real money in DSLRs is in the lens market, and I don't don't see MS paying anyone a license fee.
05-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would think if MS got into the DSLR market it would be on the software side. Writing software or codecs to process RAW images taken directly from the sensor.

05-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't dis Microsoft. I love Microsoft, it is so unreliable it keeps me in a job as PC Analyst.....LOL
05-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just watched the video....Oh dear...... MSN have no idea.
They did not mention IQ being average at best for superzooms, and the compromises they have.

Thank god they won't go into DSLR's
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Microsoft is right, a lot of people would be better off avoiding DSLRs and just getting a P&S. Do we really need more people flooding the photography forums complaining that they can't focus on their dog in dim light?

05-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I would think if MS got into the DSLR market it would be on the software side. Writing software or codecs to process RAW images taken directly from the sensor.
NOOOOO NOT THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH ON MY PENTAX AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
05-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Do we really need more people flooding the photography forums complaining that they can't focus on their dog in dim light?

Or, that their new camera won't do 9000 FPS or take movies or have full time live view.
05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #10

Notice how they sneakily implied that the E510 is better than the E3

And the 40d... d300... a700...
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
The difference is that Samsung, Sony and LG were established names in consumer electronics. MS is a software company that makes some hardware (Xbox). Samsung got into DSLRs by partnering with Pentax, and Sony did it by buying Konica-Minolta. Besides, I think the real money in DSLRs is in the lens market, and I don't don't see MS paying anyone a license fee.
Since Samsung can do it by partnering, whom will be the partner if LG take the partnering route?
If LG followed Sony's move, which Company has the weakest money issue? Or LG may follow Panasonic's step in 4/3 mount.

Ah... this is just my opinion.

kyrios
05-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Just had to get this in ; Is MicroSoft a polite way of saying "Erectile Dysfunction"?
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i gotta stick up for the Oly E-510, it's not a bad piece of kit
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Yes. That's their plan with the "JPEG XR" (aka HD Photo) file format (which might be a good thing if they get the patent licensing issues straightened out).

And they were also trying to milk it with sabre-rattling about their patents on the FAT filesystem used for storage by every camera in existence, but that mostly ended up in the patents being invalidated, so bad move there.
05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here here..

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
As a Mac user, those opinions and misdirections are pretty much what I expect from Microshaft.
Stickin' it to da man!!! Yeah....!!!

Personally, I bailed out of the windoze world in 1999 after the Windows 98 1st edition caused me about a half a year of pure computing hell and have never looked back.

Someday the rest of the world will see there's a better, saner way...

And if you're on the fence at all about Macs, just do it. You'll wonder why you punished yourself all those years.

IMHO, of course. You're free to engage in self-flagellation to your heart's content!

Back to cameras... Olympus... mwah ha ha!!! Up against the top-line Canons, Nikons, and even Hassleblads...in this category, even our beloved Pentax is also a distant also ran. MSN should get a grip. I think they forgot to mention, perhaps, that they meant 5 best consumer DSLR's, but they don't mention that once in the article - just list these as 'the best'.

Totally misleading, wrong and completely typical considering the source.

Cheers,
Cameron

Oh, and BTW