Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leontien Quote
It looks allright to me, but if anyone here can provide me a more experienced opinion I would be gratefull.
I only have the original Pentax rings in K-mount, entirely mechanical.
Haven't seen any comments on the Danubia rings for Pentax. However:

Here is an opinion on the Danubia rings for Canon:

"Ich würde vor den ultrabilligen (ich glaub' manche heißen Danubia) Zwischenring-3er-Sets total abraten.
Die Kontakte sind einfach nur Stifte, die von den Kontaktfedern der Kamera durch die Zwischenringe zu drücken sind, damit Kontakt entsteht... Brrr."

From: Canon Macro 180 1/3,5 - Zwischenringe & Co [Archiv] - DFORUM

Or for Nikon:

"Ich hatte ja schon im Startbeitrag erwähnt, dass die Bajonettkontaktblöcke der Danubia Zwischenringe ein Gelumpe sind.
Der Kamera-seitige Kontaktblock hat statt zylindrisch runder Kontaktpins nur flache Messingfedern mit gerundeter Oberkante,
die sich leicht verbiegen, das ist aber nicht so schlimm wie die Ausführung des Objektiv-seitigen Kontaktblocks.
Dessen Kontakte sind nicht nur wackelig montiert, so dass sie sich im Originalzustand dauernd verschieben, sie stehen frei"

From: Nikon Fotografie-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - 2x-TC Kenko MC-7 f

12-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #77

Thanks lytrytyr!

That doens't sound promising unfortunately. I really would like a good set of extension tubes for my K-500, but I am afraid there aren't any available on the market right now.

Unless Kooka can deliver the set after all and they turn out great. Hope so!
12-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really would like a good set of extension tubes for my K-500, but I am afraid there aren't any available on the market right now.
Here is a set of Pentax manual tubes on offer, like the ones that I use:

https://www.keh.com/242903/pentax-35-manual-focus-auto-extension-tube-set-1-2-3-30535

KEH is a reputable dealer, although their prices may not be the lowest.
12-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #79

How do extension tubes affect photo quality?

12-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tracynjana Quote
How do extension tubes affect photo quality?
Apart from effectively increasing the nominal f-number,
they do move the lens into a focus range for which it was probably not designed.

With floating-element lenses,
it's generally best to have them at close focus when mounted on tubes,
since that's how they're best corrected for short image distances
12-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Apart from effectively increasing the nominal f-number,
they do move the lens into a focus range for which it was probably not designed.

With floating-element lenses,
it's generally best to have them at close focus when mounted on tubes,
since that's how they're best corrected for short image distances
Thank you for this information, much appreciated!
12-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Here is a set of Pentax manual tubes on offer, like the ones that I use:

https://www.keh.com/242903/pentax-35-manual-focus-auto-extension-tube-set-1-2-3-30535

KEH is a reputable dealer, although their prices may not be the lowest.
By coincedence, someone in my area is selling exactly this set! I already contacted the seller for more info, but you just gave me the info I looked for. Thank you so much! Since the seller does not add a price tag, I am supposed to make an offer. What would be a reasonable price for this set that is claimed to never been used and that goes with the original leather bag?
12-23-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What would be a reasonable price for this set that is claimed to never been used and that goes with the original leather bag?
Around EUE 100 would seem reasonable,
if they're in really good condition,
all the mechanism moving smoothly.

The KEH price is USD 144.

12-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #84

Thanks a lot, once more Lytrytyr!

I've purchased the set for 70 Euro, but I will know if it really is as good as it sounded when I receive them. Unfortunatelty the trip was still too far to check and test the set myself. Fingers crossed.

edit: Well, the set is indeed in perfect condition! Too bad I didn't took into account that apparently the disphragms is electronicly set by the body (Can you tell that I am beginner? ). But I purchased a hopefully nice second hand Pentax-A lens, so with a bit of luck I can fully enjoy my extension tubes soon.

Thanks again for all the help!

If there ever will be a new fully automatic set extension tubes for DSRL I would love to hear about it, though.

Last edited by Leontien; 01-02-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: update
01-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #85
Pentaxian

I'm reading mixed opinions... So are these extension tubes working fine or not? Is somebody using them on K-3?
01-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'm reading mixed opinions... So are these extension tubes working fine or not? Is somebody using them on K-3?
It seems to have been more of a lens issue than a camera issue.
Users generally experienced problems on certain lenses without Quick-Shift.
02-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have them (kooka) and just yesterday i got them to work... on the K-5 & 3 the problem for mine was that it was extremely difficult to get them mounted on a lens...the body side was ok...
so i was close to ship them back or just storing them in the cellar....
nevertheless what i did is taking them apart, i had two issues one of the SDM pin springs was missing and it was close to impossible to mount them at the lens.
First I unscrewed both the 20 and 36 mm and i found a spring in the 36 just sitting there no function, stuck on peace of tape... i the used it to fix the 20 mm where it was missing.
second issue was solved by removing the aperture simulator pins, luckily they where mounted with screws...
now everything works just perfect with all my lenses... and it is great to use the SDM on the DA*300 for some macro work or the aperture control over the camera, just so easy to use

(you should have some skills & good tools to get this done... many springs and tiny screws and when you loosen the screws for the mounts you will need to keep them down with some pressure and slowly release them otherwise the springs and pins will be everywhere...)

Last edited by max_pyne; 02-15-2015 at 08:16 AM.
02-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
I have them and just yesterday i got them to work
Are those the Kooka or Movo tubes?
02-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

kooka
02-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't sound at all promising...I am really disappointed that Pentax hasn't provided us with new extension tubes :-( How hard can it be? While you are at it, make them weather sealed too!