Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Damn Brit

Just in: Pentax K10D Camera of the Year

Editors choice from POPPHOTO.COM

Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs - - PopPhotoJuly/August 2007

Please note Advanced DSLR not Entry Level.

05-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I kid you not, go to Popphoto.com and you will find the article on the front page.
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's also won many other awards, like:
1. a TIPA Award 2007 for Best Expert D-SLR Expert,
2. an EISA Camera of the Year 2007-2008, the CJPC Camera Grand Prix 2007 award, Japan's Camera journal press club's highest award,
3. a Camera magazine 2007-8 award,
4. a MacLife editor's choice award,
5. the Gold Award from the "What Digital Camera 03/2007" magazine, and on and on it goes...

I can surely bet the K20D is in line for double as many awards...
05-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are there any awards it did not win? It really is a masterpiece.

I don't think it won the "Best Can*n of 2007" award. But on the other hand, I think it did win "Best Nik*n of 2007"

05-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Editors choice from POPPHOTO.COM

Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs - - PopPhotoJuly/August 2007

Please note Advanced DSLR not Entry Level.
You forgot the most important award...

"Bens' Choice" Gold Medal or "How I got Shit for Promoting the K10D on Pop Photo" Award....

Now that is a keeper.

Ben
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
2. an EISA Camera of the Year 2007-2008, the CJPC Camera Grand Prix 2007 award, Japan's Camera journal press club's highest award,
5. the Gold Award from the "What Digital Camera 03/2007" magazine, and on and on it goes...

I can surely bet the K20D is in line for double as many awards...
I don't think so...The Tipa was already awarded and the K20D did not win that award. We'll see about the EISA?
05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
Damn Brit

Don't worry Ben, remember the famous Winston Churchill speech from WW2 :
"Never has so much been done by so few for so many" (or something like that).
How about " Never has so little been done by that crew for our Benny"

05-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
...all of which probably meant nothing to the average punter, as the camera lacked a Canon or Nikon logo.

The funny thing I keep seeing about Pentax SLR reviews is the standard rave in the body of the article - "Fourteen megapixels really captures a lot more detail than the competition! The RAWS great, DNG or PEF is convenient, batteries last a long time, ergonomics sound, &c, &c," - which seems to translate into only, oh, about an 8. Maybe 8.5. Outta ten. Meanwhile, the lightweight Canon EOS 700D or whatever gets a 9.5, despite the fact it's got lower res, a dodgier kit lens, and is bulkier (but much more lightweight than the Pentax...)

And also costs about seven hundred US more. Apparently, this is not a factor for the average buyer. Yes, because we're all meant to slap down the Platinum Visa and say, price is no object, my good man/woman.

Judging from the sales techniques I've seen employed, I'm often wondering if the Pentax, Olympus and Sony cameras are merely there to contrast against the Big Two. In all my hours of staring vacantly at the film shelf, hoping some Tri-X will magically appear, I've yet to hear the reps recommend a Pentax or an Oly or Sony.

Maybe it's Pentax's backwards compatibility. You flog 'em a K-mount, maybe they won't buy their next lens from you. Or from any dealer. (And there's precious little commission to be had on the inexpensive, none-SMD Pentax lenses.)
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, and even with all these prestigious awards, the K10D (and every other Pentax dSLR) still failed to compare in sale numbers all over Australia with the Canikons - a reflection on the retail stockists, their attitudes towards Pentax gear, and dare I say the Pentax suppliers themselves...

Then again, it's up to the consumer to do the research and cut through all the marketing schemes designed to draw you to Canikon and make an objective decision on what gear to buy... The K10D, when it first came out, and now the K20D are really hard to beat in features, image and build quality and good compatible lenses, but then again I'm speaking to the converted...

Last edited by Ash; 05-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.
05-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You forgot the most important award...

"Bens' Choice" Gold Medal or "How I got Shit for Promoting the K10D on Pop Photo" Award....

Now that is a keeper.

Ben
You really should come back to Pop now Ben, you're not affiliated with Pentax anymore and you can say what you want right?

It would be a lot of fun to see all those guys get riled up again, I'd enjoy it anyway!

SLC
05-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
You really should come back to Pop now Ben, you're not affiliated with Pentax anymore and you can say what you want right?

It would be a lot of fun to see all those guys get riled up again, I'd enjoy it anyway!

SLC
Nah...Jack wouldn't want to have me back.

Ben
05-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ben I'll make Jack take you back! or die trying