Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D Editor's Choice Digital Camera Review

Just want to share

Editor's Choice, April 2008: Pentax K200D

05-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Cool. I think this camera needs all the support it can get if it is to succedd in the market. I honestly think it will struggle in the entry level market, simply due to the fact that it is just too good a camera to be entryt level.
Personally I think they should re release the *istDL with a few extras as a budget entry level model allowing the K200D to be seen and to shine as as the mid level Pentax model - the mid level enthusiast is where this camera truly belongs.
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

not too good, just too expensive

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Cool. I think this camera needs all the support it can get if it is to succedd in the market. I honestly think it will struggle in the entry level market, simply due to the fact that it is just too good a camera to be entryt level.
Personally I think they should re release the *istDL with a few extras as a budget entry level model allowing the K200D to be seen and to shine as as the mid level Pentax model - the mid level enthusiast is where this camera truly belongs.
It may or may not be too good, but it's definitely too expensive. Pentax has gone from having some of the least expensive entry level DSLRs to having by far the most expensive.

Paul
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Perhaps Pentax should just have kept the K100D Super in the lineup as the entry level model - that would give the users the benefit of SR which the DL doesn't have. Actually I think they should have kept the K10D as well for those of us who prefer buttons over menus, and at the same price as the K200D.

05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It may or may not be too good, but it's definitely too expensive. Pentax has gone from having some of the least expensive entry level DSLRs to having by far the most expensive.

Paul
I don't know about prices where you are, but someone I know had short listed the Canon 400D and the Nikon D60 until I nudged her in the direction of the K200D. The UK price of the Canon was cheaper, but then it is a lot older. The price of the K200D and the Nikon D60 was about the same (though Nikon felt obliged to offer the D60 with an image stabilised short zoom in an effort to compete.

And yes - she bought the K200D after handling all three alternatives.
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

keeping k100d

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Perhaps Pentax should just have kept the K100D Super in the lineup as the entry level model - that would give the users the benefit of SR which the DL doesn't have. Actually I think they should have kept the K10D as well for those of us who prefer buttons over menus, and at the same price as the K200D.
I guess it was a production capacity issue, but I think it will be hard for pentax to compete without a $400 (U.S. street price) body. I agree keeping a k100 model would have been good for marketing.

When you look at sony, they seem to have taken over the market position that pentax used to have with the k100.

I read that pentax sales were disappointing last quarter, but I don't think volume will improve given that prices have increased by $200-$250.

Paul
05-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO the K100d replacement will be for Photokina.
05-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote

Paul
By far the most expensive??? You can get a K200D for $520 now.... and that's from the trustworthy shops. Even when it was $620 it was not the most expensive entry level DSLR. Not to mention it has features that NO OTHER entry level DSLR has. Plus you can get some very nice Pentax lenses for far less than what the competitors stabilized lenses cost.

05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love my K200. I really liked my old K100. Unless they go out of business I can't see myself using another brand. That being said, Pentax is being replaced in the market by Sony not just because of name recognition, but mainly because of visibility. Until they are in the big box stores and visible their sales will continue to be much poorer. I honestly feel that Pentax is a better product, but if you want to play with the big boys you have to get on the same field.

I am still wet behind the ears and some of you much more seasoned vets will confirm or correct me, but before digital came along and film was still king, wasn't Pentax the top dog?
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

wayne, I've only been a pentaxian for a couple of years, but from what I've learned, the last time Pentax was top dog was the 1960s, when everyone that wanted a 35mm SLR yearned for a Pentax Spotmatic. This position might have lasted into the K-era, but it was definitely over by the 1990s.
05-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

K100 D Sport. Cheap, durable, take anywhere, kick-around DSLR with SR.
05-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam67 Quote
By far the most expensive??? You can get a K200D for $520 now.... and that's from the trustworthy shops. Even when it was $620 it was not the most expensive entry level DSLR. Not to mention it has features that NO OTHER entry level DSLR has. Plus you can get some very nice Pentax lenses for far less than what the competitors stabilized lenses cost.
I've been tracking prices for the last six months to see where the market is headed. Using B & H pricing as the benchmark, there are 5 different models less expensive than the K200D and one of those includes a lens. That is a far cry from the position the k100D held. There is no way Pentax can expect to be perceived as a premium brand at this point. Pricing the K20D above the canon 40D is a major mistake. The market sees them as competing models regardless of their features and the Canon name commands a $150-$200 premium.

Hoya has stated they expect a profit but this pricing strategy has got to be hurting volume especially at the entry level. I'll be very interested in seeing the sales figures for the first 6 months of 08. My bet is that the gains Pentax made last year in market share will be completely wiped out.

Ken
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Luckily with Pentax's latest rebates their prices are falling into line much better. After rebate the K200D can now be had for $590 with kit lens. The only issue is anyone can walk into Best Buy and walk out with a Sony A200 for $600 and not have to mess with rebates or wait on shipping.

As far as the K20D; in the grand scheme of things it's still much cheaper than Canon (and especially Nikon) if shake reduction is a feature you care about. I've recently pondered switching to Canon since they are running a $200 instant rebate on the 40D, and also because I'm in love with the Canon L lenses (sorry, but man, they make the DA*'s feel cheap in comparison). But this is what I'm looking at to get into Canon and cover a 17-135mm range.

Canon EOS 40D with Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS: $1130
Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L USM: $650
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $1,780

With Pentax I can go this route and still come in cheaper. Given, I prefer the L lens to the DA* lenses, but I'd have to live without shake reduction on the Canon 17-40. Plus I can get cheap Tamron/Sigma consumer telephoto zooms to fill that need on the rare occasions I need it for a whole lot less then a image stabilized Canon telephoto.

Pentax K20D: $990
Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 SDM: $560
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6: $140
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $1,690

The only issue is I doubt too many people will take the time to thoroughly research Pentax to figure this out on their own.