Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

The sky is falling....

Er, no it isnt. Pentax's uncoordinated worldwide sales and marketing organisation was out of date and inefficient.

Peacekeeper is on the button.

Pentax USA has employed the same agents that did the Honda worldwide campaign. I seem to remember it was a very good campaign and it reached every country on the globe. Why then do we need a separate campaign in every country?

Secondly, if the whole of Europe with 380M customers, 30 languages and 20 currencies can be coordinated from Germany, why does Canada need its own organisation separate from the rest of North America?

Image how much extra investment cash Pentax can divert into product development if they stop wasting all this money on ineffective ad campaigns and duplication?

Hoya and Ned know what they are doing. Where is your trust?

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
I think it is way too early for doom and gloom postings guys.

Hoya didn't become the big company it is by doing things the the wrong way. Pentax unfortunately needs to get bigger/more profitable and Hoya is simply re-organising the company structure now that they have control, as of 1st of April.

As Ned says:
"What we have initiated on April 1 is shifting from a regional territory sales model (that we’d used since the the film days) to creating a new sales organization structure of 'account' teams focused on specific channels, including photo specialty, on-line, mass merchant and national distributors."

We all know brick and morter stores are being out performed by Web/online stores. Times have changed and Hoya is simply dragging Pentax up to modern web/internet/2008 business practices and structure.

And lets not forget Samsung is in deep into the K mount and potential FF camera, so your Lenses will still be worth money.

PK

05-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I totally agree with Steve. In an ideal world, the Ad Campaign for Pentax could be treated in the same manner as Chanel, Dior etc. apply their image in a homogeneous and consistent manner. The image is consistent world wide. It just strengthens the image of the brand and does not dilute it as does regional advertising.

Ben
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter

And to add to what Ben and Steve just said, Pentax has been trying to consolidate and streamline its logistics even before Hoya. An example, if I remember correctly, a couple years ago continental Europe was consolidated into one country (Germany, as Steve has pointed out).

It's obvious to me that logistics & marketing (areas of relative weakness) are something that Pentax has been trying to improve on. If Canada is being merged into the U.S., it is simply a continuation of this work.
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The writing was on the wall for Pentax Canada for a while now. On reading this I quickly called up a old Friend with a camera store in Oakville. He confirmed that there is some slash and burn going on but no one knows if Pentax Canada will close completely or if another wharehouse will be opened ( they "WERE" looking at wharehouses it seems. ). I remember when Pentax Canada moved locations a few years ago out to "sauga" and also had a fire sale selling off lots of new old gear they had sitting around ( like the Pz-1P I had ). Selling off the gear and layoffs is just a reoccuring cycle in modern buisness.

Now I'm going to see what he can get in the back of that wharehouse

05-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
continental Europe was consolidated into one country (Germany, as Steve has pointed out).
While this is true, it is true also that Pentax runs offices in several European countries, like in France:

PENTAX France S.A.S. emploie plus de 100 collaborateurs et propose au niveau national des équipements photographiques, du matériel médical ainsi que des produits adaptés à la vidéosurveillance et la vision industrielle.

PENTAX France S.A.S.
112 Quai de Bezons
95106 Argenteuil Cedex
France

Numéro d'identification: 323 328 112 R.C.S. Pontoise
Numéro de gestion: 1984 B 00932

So, I would suspect that a Canadian office would survive anyway.

P.S.
Without Ben, they have to write now: "PENTAX France S.A.S. emploie plus de 99 collaborateurs "
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

while Canada most definitely does NOT need its own separate PR campaign or marketing department

what it DOES need is a bigger business to business department, and a boost to the quality of its customer service/relation and warranty processing.

no need to "shut it down", just re-arrange its priorities.
05-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
I think it is way too early for doom and gloom postings guys.

We all know brick and morter stores are being out performed by Web/online stores.

Times have changed and Hoya is simply dragging Pentax up to modern web/internet/2008 business practices and structure.

PK
Since when does HOYA have a clue on how to market a retail, global, commercial product?
Besides their filters, nobody would probably be aware of their existence. I'd be surprised if they had ANYTHING to do with even Hoya filter ads... All I think they do is make the blanks and allow others to use their name...
Seems the blind leading the blind here...
Good thing they have money....
05-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #38

I wonder if they are going to have any representation whatsoever at this weekend's Henrys show in Toronto http://www.henrys.com/mass_emails/images/080419/TorontoShow_May08_eticket.pdf

05-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member

What we’ve heard from forums, is that Pentax Canada was not doing a particularly good job for their Canadian customers. Pentax US would easily be able to handle entire North America.
Hoya runs a tight unit, so little surprise that they’ll trim some places.

Lenses sold by the pound, will not be for consumers.

Pentax is not at a loss world wide, quite the contrary. Last year Pentax was third in DSLR units sold, after C&N, but ahead of Olympus, Sony, etc. And Pentax is doing better now, than almost any time during the last 10 years.

Interesting post, from the linked Mike blog :

"I am working about 10 years as an optician in Germany and i know that the eye-glass lenses from Hoya are always a good choice. They have (and i am selling eight other brands[Zeiss, Essilor, Rupp & Hubrach, Rodenstock, Nikon, Seiko, Optovision, Swiss Optic]) the best coatings on the market and their glass-design is one that is always spontaneous good accepted by the customers. Their progression-addition lenses are always innovative and very comfortable for the spectacle-wearers.
My first thought after hearing that Hoya will integrate Pentax was, that it will bring more know-how in developing optical products and when they will do it right we can expect more excellent lenses in the future. I have always made good experiences with Hoya.This fusion is an enrichment. I don't worry about my loved Pentax.

Posted by: XebastYan | Saturday, 05 April 2008 at 09:31 PM"
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The pieces of the puzzle are falling into place it seems. We've all read the nightmare stories of terrible service coming from Pentax Canada on here. I've experienced a no reply on an email personally as well. Hoya was said right from the start to be aiming to make Pentax more profitable. Nothing seems too out of place, but it is very interesting to hear this first hand account Leadbelly, thanks for sharing.

It would seem doing it in such a harsh fashion might create a lot of bad blood though. Did he receive a severance package at least? Would have been a lot 'nicer' of Hoya to distribute some of that excess gear into the hands of these former employees rather than to dump it by the pound to a retailer. It instills no confidence in the retailer either getting product from a company they are supposed to be selling people on in this way.
He did get severance pay worth about a year and a half his monthly wages... I think they being given stuff but they weren't interested since they saw and used the stuff for free for years! He says it doesn't "excite" them anymore. Nevertheless, he still has some stuff that I am willing to take off his hands...

I'll be talking with the source again tomorrow. Let's see what the latest news is by then...
05-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

it's Saturday morning can i go knock at the back door and buy from the bin?
05-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Since when does HOYA have a clue on how to market a retail, global, commercial product?
Besides their filters, nobody would probably be aware of their existence. I'd be surprised if they had ANYTHING to do with even Hoya filter ads... All I think they do is make the blanks and allow others to use their name...
Seems the blind leading the blind here...
Good thing they have money....
Oh for heavens sake, what ARE you on about. Marketing and distribution is not rocket science nor is it patented. They are simply following standard industry practice. You can read a book on it if you want. Its easy enough to hire the required staff or appoint a consultancy firm if they dont have enough expertise in house.

The only "genius" in marketing is in creating an image that captures peoples imagination and puts a brand on the map. They have hired an excellent agency so lets hope they manage to pull something decent together. Perhaps they have taken some of Ben's ideas on board too, we will have to wait and see.

I really dont understand your constant sniping. Its so contrived its rediculous.
05-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Oh for heavens sake, what ARE you on about. Marketing and distribution is not rocket science nor is it patented. They are simply following standard industry practice. You can read a book on it if you want. Its easy enough to hire the required staff or appoint a consultancy firm if they dont have enough expertise in house.

The only "genius" in marketing is in creating an image that captures peoples imagination and puts a brand on the map. They have hired an excellent agency so lets hope they manage to pull something decent together. Perhaps they have taken some of Ben's ideas on board too, we will have to wait and see.

I really dont understand your constant sniping. Its so contrived its rediculous.
I thought I had a good point. And we will see about the "new" marketing.
A conservative company hiring a marketing company in a fast paced market with some heavy hitters COULD be as much a recipe for disaster (or at least a waste of resources) as the feeble hodge podge marketing schemes currently in place...
If marketing was soooo simple EVERY product would be a success and EVERYONE would be rich.. Why minimise the effort????
Not every campaign (and MOST just wither on the vine) can be a (to use trite examples) a "where's the beef" or "just do it" or
a stupid duck saying "AFLAC".
The only genus plan at HOYA was to know they had to go "elsewhere". UNFORTUNATELY they will still be the decision makers on the "direction"... I'm sure the new PR firm (or whatever) isn't give "carte blanche" to do "whatever" w/ HOYA/.Pentax money.
I may be sniping but I think your a bit nieve......
O/T addendum:
Seems Hoya is more than happy to blame the poor fiscal performance square on the shoulders of the lowely camera division, which
considering all the other factors involved in their failure (and the relatively small camera div compaired to the "whole)", is a bit funny, but also quite sad:
Hoya Announces Fourth Quarter and FY2007 Financial Results
"The result of Fiscal year 2007 fell below our expectations, largely
due to the price drop of digital camera that affected our optics business,"
said Hiroshi Suzuki, chief executive officer of HOYA. "The beginning of the
new fiscal year looks better than the same period last year. We are
planning a proactive capital investment in FY2008 in order to meet the
market demand. "

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-03-2008 at 08:47 AM.
05-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I thought I had a good point. And we will see about the "new" marketing.
A conservative company hiring a marketing company in a fast paced market with some heavy hitters COULD be as much a recipe for disaster (or at least a waste of resources) as the feeble hodge podge marketing schemes currently in place...
If marketing was soooo simple EVERY product would be a success and EVERYONE would be rich.. Why minimise the effort????
Not every campaign (and MOST just wither on the vine) can be a (to use trite examples) a "where's the beef" or "just do it" or
a stupid duck saying "AFLAC".
The only genus plan at HOYA was to know they had to go "elsewhere". UNFORTUNATELY they will still be the decision makers on the "direction"... I'm sure the new PR firm (or whatever) isn't give "carte blanche" to do "whatever" w/ HOYA/.Pentax money.
I may be sniping but I think your a bit nieve......
O/T addendum:
Seems Hoya is more than happy to blame the poor fiscal performance square on the shoulders of the lowely camera division, which
considering all the other factors involved in their failure (and the relatively small camera div compaired to the "whole)", is a bit funny, but also quite sad:
Hoya Announces Fourth Quarter and FY2007 Financial Results
"The result of Fiscal year 2007 fell below our expectations, largely
due to the price drop of digital camera that affected our optics business,"
said Hiroshi Suzuki, chief executive officer of HOYA. "The beginning of the
new fiscal year looks better than the same period last year. We are
planning a proactive capital investment in FY2008 in order to meet the
market demand. "
OPTICS not CAMERA.

Everything Hoya is doing so far is a continuation of what was started before the takeover and is exactly in line with what I would expect from a company looking to streamline operations and get better value from its supply chain and marketing.

Results will not be felt for 12 months at least but there is no reason at all to assume that it will not work out, so why do you always have to find some reason why they are dumb, incompetent or wrong? I just dont get this constant hand wringing and criticism.
05-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
OPTICS not CAMERA.

Everything Hoya is doing so far is a continuation of what was started before the takeover and is exactly in line with what I would expect from a company looking to streamline operations and get better value from its supply chain and marketing.

Results will not be felt for 12 months at least but there is no reason at all to assume that it will not work out, so why do you always have to find some reason why they are dumb, incompetent or wrong? I just dont get this constant hand wringing and criticism.
Well obviously you are a Hoya flag waiver. Good for you...
Personally out of all the companies out there, Hoya didn't come to mind for me. Might have well be bought by Siemens or any mostly OEM supply company.
Sorry my comments "bother" you but it is just my opinion.
Funny how we read what we want to. Guess were both guilty as charged...

The result of Fiscal year 2007 fell below our expectations, largely
due to the price drop of digital camera..................

For more reading, and other's opinions:
Pentax camera division 24 pct. smaller in one year: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review