Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Fooled me, thats for sure! The second I read the rumour I ran it by Henry's to see about what lenses may have come their way from it. The reply "Thank you for your e-mail. I personally haven't heard of anything like this." And went on to confirm that none of the lenses I had asked about (basically a few of the key FA*) were available (of course).

I have to think that if they had a bin of Pentax laying around, they might have at least mentioned it thus I am left to doubt.

05-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Not Siemens for gods sake. When the got the license to upgrade the green subway line in Stockholm it took years for them to make it work properly, their mobile sector went broke and now my Siemens washing machine has crashed as well!
05-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Hmmm, I just relayed what the ex-employee told us...
OK, so it's a disgruntled ex-Pentax employee then...

QuoteQuote:
And what does my being in the Philippines have anything to do with all this?
Because of your unfamiliarity of Pentax in Canada or camera business in Canada in general, it would greatly diminish your ability to discern truth vs pure BS from what you were told; or to challenge your "source" on his absurd claim.

It is not a matter or racism or anything like that. But because of the factor above, it does significantly reduce the credibility of your info. Just like if I try making comments on Pentax in Philippines, it would most likely be irrelevant.

QuoteQuote:
In short, I am just sharing what I heard through the grapevine.
Of course, this is the rumors forum. But with such a serious accusation by a disgruntled ex-employee, you will be challenged as you chose to relay the message.
05-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Because of your unfamiliarity of Pentax in Canada or camera business in Canada in general, it would greatly diminish your ability to discern truth vs pure BS from what you were told; or to challenge your "source" on his absurd claim.
Oh ok... well, I just relayed what I heard. Verbatim. I didn't add anything nor left out anything (save for the name of the employee). I thought you guys would be interested though...

QuoteQuote:
It is not a matter or racism or anything like that. But because of the factor above, it does significantly reduce the credibility of your info. Just like if I try making comments on Pentax in Philippines, it would most likely be irrelevant.
True. I get your point. No need to be offended then...

QuoteQuote:
Of course, this is the rumors forum. But with such a serious accusation by a disgruntled ex-employee, you will be challenged as you chose to relay the message
It's ok if I get challenged. I'm just the messenger. But I chose to inform you guys, so in a way, I accept whatever you guys would throw at me. But I still will tell you guys whatever the "source" tells me that's Pentax related. It's up to you what you guys make of it. In fact I'm still waiting for the photos of the so-called "bin of Pentax primes." (As was promised would be sent to me...). And until I receive the photo of the "legendary" bin of lenses, and the FA* 80-200 as well, I too will be skeptical.

05-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #80
Site Supporter

and what is going on with Pentax Scandinavia?

I just submitted a post on what's going on here on the same latitudes but on the other side of the Atlantic, that may be of some interest to you Canadians, since there may be both important similarities and differences.

What about Pentax Scandinavia?
05-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Fooled me, thats for sure! The second I read the rumour I ran it by Henry's to see about what lenses may have come their way from it. The reply "Thank you for your e-mail. I personally haven't heard of anything like this." And went on to confirm that none of the lenses I had asked about (basically a few of the key FA*) were available (of course).

I have to think that if they had a bin of Pentax laying around, they might have at least mentioned it thus I am left to doubt.
They kept them all to themselves

I couldn't really have the story make sense. Anybody claiming Pentax is at a loss worldwide, has absolutely zero insight into the matter, and should be booted out; if he was one of the higher ups.

Selling lenses by the pound. Let me say, I would prefer to get the stack with FA*, compared to the FAJ ones

This is the Pentax NEWS and rumors section, and in that order. If coming out with some pretty far out stuff, better make sure that the story is backed up. And then double and triple check it.
05-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Fooled me, thats for sure!
LOL! You and me, both.
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #83

Evenin' all

Story I heard was a bunch of old lenses were sold to Henry's.
Lenses from medium formats etc.

David

05-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I heard there were a bunch of 67's and 67 lenses as well...

Last edited by leadbelly; 05-07-2008 at 11:35 PM.
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Boy...I've never read so many posts that think the worst, based on what I can see is just a rumour..so far.

I haven't read all the posts, but some that I did were full of wild speculation about what Hoya was going to do, Henrys' was sold camera equipment by the 'pound'...etc.

Whew....talk about a stir up. Based on what, I ponder ??

I just bought a K10D in November, a 16-45 lens in Dec. and a 360 flash in Feb. and plan to buy a 55-300mm zoom as soon as it comes out.

Unless of course, reading the rumours here, that Hoya has sold Pentax Canada and all their lenses in the warehouse to Henrys' who don't care for Pentax anyway and will sell them out the back door at high prices...etc....etc...and etc...

Well that's the gist of many of the posts. Last time I checked Henrys' is taking orders on the yet unreleased Pentax 55-300 (May 31rst id date, I hear), like many other camera companies.

I checked with my local camera store last week, out here in Western Canada and they assured me they will give me a call as soon as the 55-300 is here. No word that the sky is falling in, over at Pentax and that Hoya will soon apply the corporate crush. Not a whisper.

There will be changes, happens whenever there is a merger, but I truly believe that Pentax camera equipment will still be available for years.

As my son says, I think we need to 'chill'.
05-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
The writing was on the wall for Pentax Canada for a while now. On reading this I quickly called up a old Friend with a camera store in Oakville. He confirmed that there is some slash and burn going on but no one knows if Pentax Canada will close completely or if another wharehouse will be opened ( they "WERE" looking at wharehouses it seems. ). I remember when Pentax Canada moved locations a few years ago out to "sauga" and also had a fire sale selling off lots of new old gear they had sitting around ( like the Pz-1P I had ). Selling off the gear and layoffs is just a reoccuring cycle in modern buisness.

Now I'm going to see what he can get in the back of that wharehouse
Ah Ha.

I thought i knew you.

Dave Brooks
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #87
Pentaxian

So here we are a year later...Pentax Canada is still alive.

In my Canadian Burg I can buy Pentax equipment at either:
  • One of two Henry's
  • One of a couple of Black's
  • One of three Don's
  • Photo Central
  • One of two London Drugs

In the past year since this thread...I've bought a 55-300 Pentax Zoom, 50 MM f 1.4, Pentax KM with 18-55 kit lens....all from different stores out here. No waiting, all equipment from the store's stock , with the exception of the 55-300 which had just been introduced.

Maybe someone with inside info can tell us the latest about the future of Pentax .
05-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #88
Veteran Member

aw, man! fooled by a resurrected thread!

Last edited by farfisa; 05-01-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: punk'd
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Shutting Down and Shifting?

I guess they are shifting which to stay and which ones would go. AFAIK, back in Cebu Philippines they are hiring additional work force on the Pentax Plant there.

Hoya is really to business and cutting out the loss. One question, if Hoya didn't buy Pentax, will there still be a Pentax here and now. Considering the recession and everything.
05-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I guess they are shifting which to stay and which ones would go. AFAIK, back in Cebu Philippines they are hiring additional work force on the Pentax Plant there.That's good news...what do they make at this plant in the Philippines ?

Hoya is really to business and cutting out the loss. One question, if Hoya didn't buy Pentax, will there still be a Pentax here and now. Considering the recession and everything.
That's a different way of looking at things and as you say with the recession that hit after Hoya bought Pentax...if they hadn't bought Pentax would Pentax have been able to survive.

What I still would like to know (have to be a fortune teller I guess will Pentax continue to survive and continue making DSLR's )? Hope so and I think so...it's a good line of products they have...I'm happy with my K10D, KM , 16-45, 55-300, 50 f1.4.