Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Rumours

Please take a moment to remember the Triple filter test"

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary ...".

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, even though you're not certain it's true?".

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued." You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really..."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem. It also explains why he never found out that Plato was shagging his wife.

Before you post a rumour .... - FM Forums

05-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

is this true?? whoknows...
is this something good?? depends on your opinion
is it useful?? no because it wont stop the rumours because there too much fun LOL

actually I think it is a cool post
05-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha me too, thats why i had to copy and paste that mutha over here. 8)
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I will try to be as smart as Socrates the next time someone comes to me with news. Now, about my wife...

Good post.

05-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi MJB DIGITAL

That punchline was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Your amusing story suited my 'dark' sense of humour admirably...thanks a million !
It was right-up-my-alley, philosophically speaking !

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Did you ever find out his wife's name, because I might just want to have a purely 'platonic' relationship with her...lol !!!
05-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
good one