Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say my first experience with the new customer service has been good. Sent it in for a faulty electronic level. Came back almost 2 months later with notes saying adjusted and tested, and it's still off by the exact amount, which is very frustrating. Hoping to resolve my issue soon thou as I have a upcoming trip. Worst case I'll buy a hotshoe bubble level or something and then send it back afterwards.

07-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Can't say my first experience with the new customer service has been good. Sent it in for a faulty electronic level. Came back almost 2 months later with notes saying adjusted and tested, and it's still off by the exact amount, which is very frustrating. Hoping to resolve my issue soon thou as I have a upcoming trip. Worst case I'll buy a hotshoe bubble level or something and then send it back afterwards.
Report it on Pentax's website. They need to know that their service provider isn't meeting expectations. If enough users complain, something has to happen
07-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdn_tbird Quote
Report it on Pentax's website. They need to know that their service provider isn't meeting expectations. If enough users complain, something has to happen
I've done one better and talked to the Pentax Canada rep in person and he's over looking it. I don't know if I'll get it back in time for my trip next week thou, but between him and the store dealing with it, they certainly are trying.
07-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thought I'd just post that I have gotten a replacement on my camera as they would not have been able to resolve the issue before my trip *leave in two days*. They cut it close but I have been happy with the customer service from McBains in trying to resolve the issue on my behalf. See you all in two weeks

08-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update: Got one SDM lens back and all looks good as new! Only issue was that they forgot to check "requires signature" on the shipping forms and UPS then simply left my 50-135mm on my door step even though we were home! Sun Camera was updated accordingly and are making sure it doesn't happen again. Mine was shipped UPS despite the fact that Sun says they normally ship Canada Post Expedite with signature required. Not sure why.

Now just waiting for my 16-50 SDM. It was impact damage and they're waiting for a lens group which is, of course, backorderd. Have now been without it since early June.
12-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #21

Original Poster
UPDATE! So I realize I had forgotten to post that I finally got the 16-50 back after several weeks of waiting for parts (which is not uncommon). However, now that I have it back it is now exhibiting signs of the infamous SDM af motor failure! SO! Back it goes. Apparently as part of the repair they did replace the motor with the current upgraded version but I guess maybe it's was a dud? Anyhow... Sun were very cooperative on the phone and said they'd look at it right away.

In addition to the af motor, I noticed something I hadn't seen before with this lens. I realize that shooting wide open isn't going to produce razor sharp images compared to several stops down but I am used to a certain level of quality having owned it for about 8 years. After I got the lens back I started noticing almost a "soft-focus" effect on any highlights at 2.8. Unfortunately I had to ship it off in order to stay within the 90 day repair warranty for the motor but I was wondering if anyone else have noticed this with their copy?

Will update again when it comes back.
12-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry to see the original location close - never dealt for repairs but did get parts through them they were always very good.
Sun Camera has been around a long time and has a solid history of quality repairs though (I've had older film bodies serviced by them in the past and used to send work to them when i managed at Eatons

12-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Sorry to see the original location close - never dealt for repairs but did get parts through them they were always very good.
Sun Camera has been around a long time and has a solid history of quality repairs though (I've had older film bodies serviced by them in the past and used to send work to them when i managed at Eatons
Eddie, I don't have any prior experience dealing with Sun Camera before, I just want to add that my experience with Pentax repair service in the old Mississauga location was more than great. The last time I dealt with them when I took my k-5 in for focus tolerance adjustment as I find that sometimes, I need more than -10 to correcting severe FF issue. I left them with all my AF lenses (DA*, FA Limited, DA). I am now able to use all my AF lenses at wide-open aperture; even my MF lenses, K/M/A and m42 lenses. I hope the service that Sun Camera provide will be good at least as good as what it was before, as I just add a new k-3 during the last Black Friday sale.
12-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #24

Original Poster
I have to say through all of this, that at no time have I received bad service from Sun. The unfortunate situation of my lenses is that they got caught up in the transition. They were literally among the first items to be sent to Sun and just took longer to deal with due to the whole switch over process. As unfortunate as it is that I've had to send back the 16-50mm, they've been very accommodating and helpful!