Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 01:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Change to Ricoh Canada Service Department

So... I had the misfortune of finding out after the fact that Ricoh Canada have closed their in-house Service Department for good and are now using a third party repair shop. I received the following letter from the Ricoh Canada Service Manager after I inquired as to the current situation of their department.

Dear “Darren”,

Ricoh Imaging Canada is committed to offering outstanding service to our customers.

This letter is to inform you that Ricoh Imaging Canada is in the process of changing our service & repair location in Mississauga.

Starting June 1st 2014, our service will be handled through our partner Sun Camera Service.

Sun Camera Service
2150 Steeles Avenue West, Unit #5
Vaughan, Ontario
L4K 2Y7

Sun Camera has a long history of excellent service and quality repair with a focus on customer satisfaction. Please note that your open Work Order “Work Order Number” will be transferred to Sun Camera. You will be contacted separately by Sun Camera in regards to your product shortly. You may receive a new Work Order number from Sun Camera at that time.

Please bear with us during this time of transition as there may be some delays from the move. If you have any questions or concerns regarding to your product, you may contact Ricoh Imaging Canada at the following phone number or e-mail.

service@ricoh-imaging.ca

Phone: 800-461-6203

Sincerely,

Ricoh Imaging Canada Inc.

I had actually called Ricoh Canada Service at the beginning of may and the customer service staff were unaware at the time (corporate decision apparently) that within 2 weeks time, they would close up shop and forward all equipment and repairs (and 2 of their technicians) to this Sun Camera Service. All dialogue regarding our gear is now through them.

06-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

They did it in France 3 years ago as well.
I can't say if this changes anything for customers, actually....
06-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, two of their technicians, so at least we won't be dealing with rookies.
06-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, Not in terms of the actual technicians but jury's still out on the customer service people.

When I asked what the exact arrangement was, I was given 3 different answers by 3 different people. One stated Sun Camera had been contracted to do all Ricoh/Pentax's repair work, Another stated that wasn't the case and that they were just renting space from Sun Camera for their service department. The the 3rd person literally stated he wasn't permitted to release that information to the public!?!? Ay Carumba! Although I get the impression the first scenario is the most likely.

They're quoting up to 2 weeks just to get an estimate at this time. I had to raise a little hell.about the fact that I was still told 2 days for an estimate immediately prior to the move. I also included a letter regarding a particular issue that I wanted to bring to the attention of the current Service Manager regarding one of my lenses. From what I understand of the situation, nobody of any consequence has even looked my letter. It's been a gong show all around that could have been prevented if they had informed staff & customers alike that this change was pending. I would have waited before sending in my 2 SDM zooms.

The kicker though is that they are supposedly the only repair center in Canada with all the software to reprogram Bodies and lenses.

My suggestion is if anyone is planning on sending something their way to maybe wait a bit until they get things all sorted out. It sounds like they're still figuring out the exact logistics.

06-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Interesting. If I'm going to drop 9 grand on a new 645Z soon (I'm in Canada) I would hope for a quality support plan. I'll be paying close attention to this matter. The warranty is like any "insurance" you purchase - you hope you never need to use but if you need it, you hope it quickly restores you to a properly functioning piece of gear promptly and with little hassle.
06-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've gotten the impression that they are pretty overloaded, with 4 -6 weeks before getting the gear back. Last time it took two weeks before they even opened the box.

I had to send my DA*300 back after the first repair. They finally sorted it out and it was excellent after that.

I'm in the repair business of a different type and know how tricky it is to get it right, so I'm willing to be patient. The key is qualified people. I doubt if they could be in business for as long as they have been if they aren't careful.
06-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by BackWithPentax Quote
Interesting. If I'm going to drop 9 grand on a new 645Z soon (I'm in Canada) I would hope for a quality support plan. I'll be paying close attention to this matter. The warranty is like any "insurance" you purchase - you hope you never need to use but if you need it, you hope it quickly restores you to a properly functioning piece of gear promptly and with little hassle.
Yikes! You said it!

I've dealt with Pentax Canada in the past, and service was always super-fast and excellent. Well, except for that whole 50-135 debacle we won't rehash here ( it's slipping - again - 4th or 5th time, I've lost count )

With the 645z so close I was going to get one ASAP, but now I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to keep the K5 chugging along a few more months and check back in December and see if there is any feedback.

Were 645D's serviced there, or were they shipped back to Japan?

07-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowMan Quote
...(and 2 of their technicians) to this Sun Camera Service
Sorry to say but based on my first experience with Sun Camera Service tells me this is certified 100% BS.

Two weeks ago I drove to their location to have them look at my old *ist DS to see if it was worth repairing so I could pass it down to my kids as their first DSLR.

The guy at the front desk was pleasant enough and told me it would be a couple of days to get an estimate and that he'd call me back. When I didn't hear back, I called them and was told he would speak to the tech when he got in and get back to me. Again no word, called back and got the same promise.

I then called a 3rd time on Friday and was told that their techs were stumped and that a Pentax tech was coming in today (Wed) and they'd get back to me. Two weeks and no word yet. I'll be calling them in the morning.

I truly hope this is just some road bumps that will be ironed out. Fingers crossed because I really like the K-3.
07-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdn_tbird Quote
Sorry to say but based on my first experience with Sun Camera Service tells me this is certified 100% BS.

Two weeks ago I drove to their location to have them look at my old *ist DS to see if it was worth repairing so I could pass it down to my kids as their first DSLR.

The guy at the front desk was pleasant enough and told me it would be a couple of days to get an estimate and that he'd call me back. When I didn't hear back, I called them and was told he would speak to the tech when he got in and get back to me. Again no word, called back and got the same promise.

I then called a 3rd time on Friday and was told that their techs were stumped and that a Pentax tech was coming in today (Wed) and they'd get back to me. Two weeks and no word yet. I'll be calling them in the morning.

I truly hope this is just some road bumps that will be ironed out. Fingers crossed because I really like the K-3.
Wonder if this is the case when the cost of repair would be far more than buying another newer body, just saying... my past experience using their service before they move to new location have been positive.
07-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdn_tbird Quote
Sorry... are you saying my post is BS or are you referring to your experience?

I was told that by whomever I spoke to at the Ricoh Canada Sales Dept. after I couldn't get a straight answer from Sun Camera. The (now) former Ricoh Service Manager also stated that 2 of their technicians were now working out of Sun. I got the distinct impression that nobody was sure what to tell the public at the time. My lenses landed there on the very first day they started forwarding repairs to Sun so it was really just bad timing for me.

I'm happy to say they are now in an approved repair status so I'm just waiting for notification that they are finished and being shipped back to me.
07-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #11

Sorry... are you saying my post is BS or are you referring to your experience?

I was told that by whomever I spoke to at the Ricoh Canada Sales Dept. after I couldn't get a straight answer from Sun Camera. The (now) former Ricoh Service Manager also stated that 2 of their technicians were now working out of Sun. I got the distinct impression that nobody was sure what to tell the public at the time. My lenses landed there on the very first day they started forwarding repairs to Sun so it was really just bad timing for me.

I'm happy to say they are now in an approved repair status so I'm just waiting for notification that they are finished and being shipped back to me.
Not your post. The claim that they have two Pentax technicians on staff vs. the fact that Sun Camera told me that a Pentax technician would be going in to examine my camera because their own on-staff techs were "stumped". As I ended my post, I have my fingers crossed that this is just a few bumps in the road as I've been a fan of Pentax gear for as long as I can remember

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Wonder if this is the case when the cost of repair would be far more than buying another newer body, just saying... my past experience using their service before they move to new location have been positive.
Don't believe it is a cost thing, if it was why not just come out and say it would be cost prohibitive to fix? The only reason I'm looking at fixing a 10 year old camera is that it will be the hand-me-down to my kids (10 & 8) as their first DSLR as they've already outgrown their P&S cameras.

I guess I'll count myself as one of the luckier users since I've only had two dealings with Pentax service in the last decade (this one, and one back in 2004), and never had a need before then with my film SLRs. I whole heartedly agree that my experience with Pentax's in house service dept. was phenomenal. I truly hope this is just road bumps and things will get better as they get more familiar with Pentax gear.

Just got off the phone with Sun Camera Service. Supposedly they are still waiting for the Pentax tech to go by, and now don't know when that will be.

Last edited by cdn_tbird; 07-03-2014 at 07:29 AM.
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the nature of service/repair business model has changed now after checking on the web what Sun camera service do (they are also servicing Canon and possibly other cameras as well). Hope everything works out for the OP...
07-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
cdn_tbird;2867433]Not your post. The claim that they have two Pentax technicians on staff vs. the fact that Sun Camera told me that a Pentax technician would be going in to examine my camera because their own on-staff techs were "stumped". As I ended my post, I have my fingers crossed that this is just a few bumps in the road as I've been a fan of Pentax gear for as long as I can remember

Just got off the phone with Sun Camera Service. Supposedly they are still waiting for the Pentax tech to go by, and now don't know when that will be.[COLOR="Silver"]

Ah ok, that makes sense. It certainly was an interesting batch of conversations I had that week. Funny enough, the statement that two of their technicians would be working at Sun was the one consistent piece of information from the four different people I spoke to at the time. However, given the strange comment about the Pentax Tech. having to stop by to look at your camera, all is not what was originally stated. I also got the impression that the announcement was quite sudden and unexpected for the staff and that things were very much up in the air for several days after. Perhaps their techs only at Sun for a short period of time to train Sun's techs? That's what they did in Vancouver when they shut that office down 11 years ago.

I'm going to call Sun today to see where my lenses are in the whole process and see if I get can get more clarification on the whole technician situation. We'll see what they say.
07-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #14

cdn_tbird;2867433]Not your post. The claim that they have two Pentax technicians on staff vs. the fact that Sun Camera told me that a Pentax technician would be going in to examine my camera because their own on-staff techs were "stumped". As I ended my post, I have my fingers crossed that this is just a few bumps in the road as I've been a fan of Pentax gear for as long as I can remember

Just got off the phone with Sun Camera Service. Supposedly they are still waiting for the Pentax tech to go by, and now don't know when that will be.[COLOR="Silver"]

Ah ok, that makes sense. It certainly was an interesting batch of conversations I had that week. Funny enough, the statement that two of their technicians would be working at Sun was the one consistent piece of information from the four different people I spoke to at the time. However, given the strange comment about the Pentax Tech. having to stop by to look at your camera, all is not what was originally stated. I also got the impression that the announcement was quite sudden and unexpected for the staff and that things were very much up in the air for several days after. Perhaps their techs only at Sun for a short period of time to train Sun's techs? That's what they did in Vancouver when they shut that office down 11 years ago.

I'm going to call Sun today to see where my lenses are in the whole process and see if I get can get more clarification on the whole technician situation. We'll see what they say.
I wish you the best of luck with your lenses. I do agree with you that things definitely are "up in the air" and could have been handled a whole lot better IMO.

My situation all started with an e-mail to Pentax through their web-site that somehow ended up with their US support group. They actually sent me to their old Mississauga address who broke the news to me that service had been outsourced to Sun weeks earlier. Because mine is only an intermittent problem, I've taken back my camera and will see if my 2nd e-mail back to Pentax detailing my situation results in anything.
07-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #15

So my 2nd e-mail got me some results. I dropped off the camera with the service manager for Pentax @ their Mississauga offices and was told that he would bring it back to Sun Camera the following week when he went out there and I hear back with an estimate by the end of the week. I'm hoping he used it as an opportunity to do further training for them. I now have a diagnosis and estimate, but only because I followed up with them on Fri. Unfortunately for me, it's not a cheap fix and in my eye it doesn't make sense to drop approx $200 to save an old *ist DS camera that I was just going to pass onto my kids. I'd rather put that money towards a K-50 body for them.

Best of luck to anyone that has their equipment in for repair with Sun Camera, I do really hope they get better as the guy I dealt with there seems like a nice enough guy. For me it means I get to go shopping for a new camera. K-3 (crazy mirror flap and all) here I come :-)

Last edited by cdn_tbird; 07-21-2014 at 07:49 AM.