Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm hoping DxO continues to evolve and can provide competition to LR. If LR does go to the cloud, I can kiss Adobe goodbye and have an alternative.
I too hope there is at least one company that damns the torpedoes and goes full speed ahead in an attempt to counter the cloud. The OnOne marketing campaign after Adobe's CC announcement made no bones about setting it's sights directly on anti-cloud Adobe customers. It was pretty "in yer face." I liked it.

The problem, IMO, is that Adobe has had years to build what may well be the most full featured image editing program ever created and it will take years for anyone to come close. Photoshop has been a juggernaut since it's days on the SE30 when Kinko's used to rent out computer time in their stores to college kids who couldn't get into their school's computer lab (Kinko's made a point to mirror some of the less esoteric software available at college computer labs), local bands, budding entrepreneurs, soccer moms, and garden club grannies.

Kinko's introduced "DTP" to a whole lot of folks and I think that had a lot to do with Adobe gaining the lead in image editing and vector based graphics creation early on. In the late 80's and early 90's DIY flyers and newsletters created with Adobe software were rampant anywhere there was a Kinko's even remotely available. If you were in a band in the late 80's it was a reason for one of your bandmates to work at Kinko's...

I worked at a Kinko's for awhile and we couldn't keep up with demand for DTP computer time. Even after adding more SE30s reservations had to be made way in advance and that went on long after I left. As soon as powerful computing became affordable to purchase in the mid to late 90's, however, the masses bought the software they were used to renting or used in college computer labs (Photoshop, Pagemaker, Quark Express, Word/Office, Illustrator, etc.); software that would become "the standards". There is a lot of catching up to do for competitors.

07-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I too hope there is at least one company that damns the torpedoes and goes full speed ahead in an attempt to counter the cloud. The OnOne marketing campaign after Adobe's CC announcement made no bones about setting it's sights directly on anti-cloud Adobe customers. It was pretty "in yer face." I liked it.

The problem, IMO, is that Adobe has had years to build what may well be the most full featured image editing program ever created and it will take years for anyone to come close. Photoshop has been a juggernaut since it's days on the SE30 when Kinko's used to rent out computer time in their stores to college kids who couldn't get into their school's computer lab (Kinko's made a point to mirror some of the less esoteric software available at college computer labs), local bands, budding entrepreneurs, soccer moms, and garden club grannies.

Kinko's introduced "DTP" to a whole lot of folks and I think that had a lot to do with Adobe gaining the lead in image editing and vector based graphics creation early on. In the late 80's and early 90's DIY flyers and newsletters created with Adobe software were rampant anywhere there was a Kinko's even remotely available. If you were in a band in the late 80's it was a reason for one of your bandmates to work at Kinko's...

I worked at a Kinko's for awhile and we couldn't keep up with demand for DTP computer time. Even after adding more SE30s reservations had to be made way in advance and that went on long after I left. As soon as powerful computing became affordable to purchase in the mid to late 90's, however, the masses bought the software they were used to renting or used in college computer labs (Photoshop, Pagemaker, Quark Express, Word/Office, Illustrator, etc.); software that would become "the standards". There is a lot of catching up to do for competitors.
I hope someone like DxO buys the Aperture rights and integrates DxO & Aperture in a cross platform program. Apple would have been better off to expand Aperture to the PC world and grow the user base and 3rd party support.
07-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Pagemaker
Now you are making me all nostalgic. I loved using [Aldus] PageMaker.
07-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #49
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That could be the means to squeeze people out of the perpetual licensing.. continue to ramp up development on the CC side to the point where you feel like you are lacking something major on the standalone. I mean they stated they'd keep the standalone around, they never stated it would be 1:1 in features with the cloud version. That said, I still don't think there is much left in the tank at Adobe in terms of innovation.. There is only so much you can do with photographic processing.

To further this.. I just attempted to download a LR 5 trial.. and Adobe is forcing me to complete a signup for a 30 day trial of their Cloud service!!

I stopped at the EULA page and tried to visit adobe.com -- nope! It loads the homepage then auto redirects back to the EULA.. so I agreed (ugh) and now it lets me view the homepage for Adobe. But still wants me to download a CC trial to trial Lightroom 5 standalone. ..since they seem to have removed the standalone trials!

They're scheming and hunting.. directing everyone to the dark tunnel...

07-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I just attempted to download a LR 5 trial.. and Adobe is forcing me to complete a signup for a 30 day trial of their Cloud service!!
Where did you dload it from?

Try from here (Windows):
Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5

I downloaded it from there the other day no hassles. If your browser redirects you, clear your cookies or try another browser.
07-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think a trick to competing with Adobe is going to be for software like Topaz, On One, etc to keep setting their sites on Adobe but not try to match it. The key to me would be to provide a bridge for RAW developers to obtain what they might be missing in Photoshop without all the complication of Photoshop. I think a lot of them are already there, they just need to stand alone a bit more with perhaps a few of the more important Photoshop features.
07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #52
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Where did you dload it from?

Try from here (Windows):
Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5

I downloaded it from there the other day no hassles.

Googled Lightroom 5 and it took me to Lightroom 5 page ( http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html ) for Adobe where it has a 'Download Trial' button. Clicked that it takes me to the CC trial page. no thanks

So then I went to the front page and typed in "Lightroom 5 trial" and it took me back to the same LR5 page I was previously on (with the same CC trial link)!

After going through some of the pages of the trial (which is labeled try LR 5 now. not in the CC portion of the page) it then started attempting me to complete the signup.

I don't see a means of simply getting to that standalone trial page unless you already know of it ??

---------- Post added 07-18-14 at 05:58 PM ----------

Oh I see.. it is labeled as an update download.. not the trial. No wonder. That is sneaky. The actual Trial link takes you to CC trial so you have to know to search for product updates to get the standalone trial versions.

07-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

That is sneaky.
After looking around the updated Adobe site, I see what you mean. They've made it a maze, where the only way out is via buying something CC. Swines.

It makes the usability of their site a joke. A really bad web experience. God I hate that site.

A full listing of some recent downloads is here, for info:

Adobe.com - New downloads

EDIT: And FileHippo has LR v5.5 available for download too:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_lightroom/

Last edited by rawr; 07-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
07-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #54
Banned

I've halted at LR 4 for exactly that reason. I hate being forced into the cloud.

Is LR 5 really that much better than 4 anyway? I can do everything I want with LR 4.
07-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Now you are making me all nostalgic. I loved using [Aldus] PageMaker.
Back in the day I designed many a band flyer using Pagemaker, Freehand, and Photoshop. Good times.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 07-18-2014 at 11:29 PM.
07-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #56
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I've halted at LR 4 for exactly that reason. I hate being forced into the cloud.

Is LR 5 really that much better than 4 anyway? I can do everything I want with LR 4.

Well you can buy the boxed version of LR 5 (perpetual licensed) from B&H or Amazon still

Just the maze to find the standalone trial is a... maze.. on their website hehe

I get the strong sense that the only reason Adobe hasn't forced LR into cloud only status is because of the backlash.. so they have taken a new approach of dropping the monthly rental fee price even lower and funneling people interested in the trial over to the CC trial instead. Until, at which point, they deem there are more people interested in a CC only version of LR than the standalone so we are dropping standalone. haha

I know to some that sounds panicked sky-is-falling crazytalk.. but it does seem that way to me.

In any case, no there wasn't a whole lot different from 4->5 I'm only looking at it because I got a new pocket cam and I wanted to see if it has a profile for it. 950mb download to see if it works out of the box with my cam haha.

---------- Post added 07-18-14 at 08:16 PM ----------

After looking around the updated Adobe site, I see what you mean. They've made it a maze, where the only way out is via buying something CC. Swines.

It makes the usability of their site a joke. A really bad web experience. God I hate that site.

A full listing of some recent downloads is here, for info:

Adobe.com - New downloads

EDIT: And FileHippo has LR v5.5 available for download too:
Download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5 - FileHippo.com
Thanks for the list!

I actually went to FH to download it after seeing all (visible) roads led to CCville, until I saw your other link straight from adobe.. preferred that one more..

Last edited by mee; 07-18-2014 at 06:15 PM.
07-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote

LR5 has auto-perspective control. Do you take pictures of buildings?
07-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
LR5 has auto-perspective control. Do you take pictures of buildings?
I was gonna say there's not much between LR4 and LR5 but true, perspective correction is one important difference although it is nowhere near perfect, in simple cases it is very fast and does it well.
07-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Advanced healing brush rather than spot healing
Radial gradient
Auto perspective (Upright)
Better B&W conversion
Improved noise reduction
Lightroom mobile sync
Smart previews

Quite a lot new actually, though nothing you cannot live without.

I was firmly in the cloud hater group for a long time but when they went to $9.99/month for LR+PS I caved in and went for it. I still have a full regular license (actually 2 of them) for LR5 if I want to revert but honestly I get my $10 out of PS every month so far. The integration between LR and PS is excellent and almost seamless. Surprisingly I find PS to run much faster then Elements that I was using which is not at all what I had expected. I used to 95% LR with a little in Elements but find I am using PS more and more as I learn new techniques.
07-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #60

I agree With jatrax. I have the Complete cloud Subscription. Costs about $25 a month for the Whole package. Its Nice to have Audition and Illustrator for other tasks, besides LR/PS