Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple's about to put the boots to Adobe...

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I too hope there is at least one company that damns the torpedoes and goes full speed ahead in an attempt to counter the cloud. The OnOne marketing campaign after Adobe's CC announcement made no bones about setting it's sights directly on anti-cloud Adobe customers. It was pretty "in yer face." I liked it.

The problem, IMO, is that Adobe has had years to build what may well be the most full featured image editing program ever created and it will take years for anyone to come close. Photoshop has been a juggernaut since it's days on the SE30 when Kinko's used to rent out computer time in their stores to college kids who couldn't get into their school's computer lab (Kinko's made a point to mirror some of the less esoteric software available at college computer labs), local bands, budding entrepreneurs, soccer moms, and garden club grannies.

Kinko's introduced "DTP" to a whole lot of folks and I think that had a lot to do with Adobe gaining the lead in image editing and vector based graphics creation early on. In the late 80's and early 90's DIY flyers and newsletters created with Adobe software were rampant anywhere there was a Kinko's even remotely available. If you were in a band in the late 80's it was a reason for one of your bandmates to work at Kinko's...

I worked at a Kinko's for awhile and we couldn't keep up with demand for DTP computer time. Even after adding more SE30s reservations had to be made way in advance and that went on long after I left. As soon as powerful computing became affordable to purchase in the mid to late 90's, however, the masses bought the software they were used to renting or used in college computer labs (Photoshop, Pagemaker, Quark Express, Word/Office, Illustrator, etc.); software that would become "the standards". There is a lot of catching up to do for competitors.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I hope someone like DxO buys the Aperture rights and integrates DxO & Aperture in a cross platform program. Apple would have been better off to expand Aperture to the PC world and grow the user base and 3rd party support.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
To further this.. I just attempted to download a LR 5 trial.. and Adobe is forcing me to complete a signup for a 30 day trial of their Cloud service!!

I stopped at the EULA page and tried to visit adobe.com -- nope! It loads the homepage then auto redirects back to the EULA.. so I agreed (ugh) and now it lets me view the homepage for Adobe. But still wants me to download a CC trial to trial Lightroom 5 standalone. ..since they seem to have removed the standalone trials!

They're scheming and hunting.. directing everyone to the dark tunnel...
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well you can buy the boxed version of LR 5 (perpetual licensed) from B&H or Amazon still

Just the maze to find the standalone trial is a... maze.. on their website hehe

I get the strong sense that the only reason Adobe hasn't forced LR into cloud only status is because of the backlash.. so they have taken a new approach of dropping the monthly rental fee price even lower and funneling people interested in the trial over to the CC trial instead. Until, at which point, they deem there are more people interested in a CC only version of LR than the standalone so we are dropping standalone. haha

I know to some that sounds panicked sky-is-falling crazytalk.. but it does seem that way to me.

In any case, no there wasn't a whole lot different from 4->5 I'm only looking at it because I got a new pocket cam and I wanted to see if it has a profile for it. 950mb download to see if it works out of the box with my cam haha.

---------- Post added 07-18-14 at 08:16 PM ----------

Thanks for the list!

I actually went to FH to download it after seeing all (visible) roads led to CCville, until I saw your other link straight from adobe.. preferred that one more..
I think you'll find the new Apple Photos App, when it comes out probably for free, will be an upgraded Aperture AND iPhoto AND Cloud based stuff. Apple's about to kick Adobe in the teeth just like they did, deservedly so, to Microsoft, by offering their software for free. They make so much money on their hardware, they can afford to do that. Can Micro****? Can Adobe? What hardware do they make?

The answer is, Microsoft just laid off 18,000 people.

Revenge of Steve Jobs. Go Apple!

BTW, just an aside; I thought Bill Gates was GIVING all his money away five years ago? So how come he's still listed as the world's richest man? Hmmm...somethings not quite right here. If he's having trouble with that, I could help; start with world childhood poverty, Bill. You could dump about 50 billion into that...

And the world's richest man, laying off workers...nice, Bill. Humanitarian...yeah.

Cheers,
Cameron

07-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
And the world's richest man, laying off workers...nice, Bill. Humanitarian...yeah.
I'm not a fan of Bill, but he no longer runs the company, so he's not laying off anyone.
07-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #63
Den
Veteran Member

Can't make everyone happy. By the way, Bill has given away over 28 Billion $. How much have you given away?
07-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #64

And remember where many of those 18k people is comming from. Nokia anyone?

You could view it the other way around. Microsoft have created over 100k jobs. Is that such a bad thing?

07-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #65
mee
Site Supporter

The subtle changes to LR 5 from 4 are nice. The radial filter makes it possible to do controlled vignettes and bokeh blurring.. the healing brush could be useful in some places. A little less need for PS.

I think they took away the ability to create timelapse movies using the slideshow feature though.. which I use some in LR4. It is really easy to make a timelapse movie in it too!
07-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I think you'll find the new Apple Photos App, when it comes out probably for free, will be an upgraded Aperture AND iPhoto AND Cloud based stuff. Apple's about to kick Adobe in the teeth just like they did, deservedly so, to Microsoft, by offering their software for free. They make so much money on their hardware, they can afford to do that. Can Micro****? Can Adobe? What hardware do they make?
Yeah, right... Apple is gonna give what most people want (Joe on the street) and let others (us) go forth and *censored*
07-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Improved noise reduction
+1 for that. Lightroom has progressively improved it's NR every version.

And how did Microsoft, Bill Gates etcfind their way into this discussion?

BillG is a pretty cool guy. He's doing a lot to fund medical research, has given away billions to the 3rd world etc. And while he was steering the ship, I don't recall MS every doing any substantial layoffs. But the new bosses seem to be real bumblers - Windows 8, the Nokia purchase ...
07-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I was gonna say there's not much between LR4 and LR5 but true, perspective correction is one important difference although it is nowhere near perfect, in simple cases it is very fast and does it well.
The perspective control is a lifesaver! I shoot buildings sometimes and not having to go to PS for every single picture is pretty huge. Also since it's an LR level change, I can synchronize it with other pictures that are taken the same position.