Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DCW Evaluates the Best Entry-level DSLR

Here's the final word:
"The Canon 1200D is very obviously built down to a price. Its 18-megapixel sensor has been around in Canon’s range, in one form or another, for some time, its 3fps continuous shooting speed is adequate but no more, and it lags behind the others in screen resolution, flash power and AF points.

None of these are serious on their own, but they add up. It’s a safe ‘percentage’ buy, but unexciting.

The D3300 could hardly be more different. Its controls are designed for beginners, but its sensor matches the best that Nikon (or any other maker) can offer in a digital SLR with an APS-C sized sensor.

The payoff is the price – it would need to come down considerably to compete with other entry-level offerings.

Which leaves the Pentax K-500 as the champion of old-fashioned value. It’s a sturdy, versatile and powerful camera with a sensor that’s a step behind the Nikon’s, but with many features and capabilities you wouldn’t expect to get for the money.

Beginners might feel slightly daunted, but experts will be impressed."

The full review is here.

06-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I hadn't have the K30 I would buy the K500
06-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rob,
Reading the review format from DCW with breaks and links is almost as tedious as going though the dpreview mine field. Thanks for the condensed version.
06-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
If I hadn't have the K30 I would buy the K500
And give up WR, electronic level and AF point indicator, for the same price as a newish or refurbished K-30? No thanks.