Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope the whole idea of the kit lens will be revamped, and instead of noisy screw drive a DC motor will be used.

In addition to this, I hope this is really the time when a new understanding raises inside Ricoh that they cannot keep repainting the old forever and sell as new. Some significant new step must be made I believe, some new significant investment, significant new value added and I think it is about time to see it in the lens department.

I agree with MagKelly above; cameras are more than fine. Those designs have not changed at all for ages, and they work. But lenses .. well ...

Last edited by Uluru; 07-03-2014 at 03:04 PM.
07-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I accidentally read that as "new kittens." That would definitely give you a good photographic subject to test out your new camera.

I thought I was the only one. I said to myself 'wow new kittens.. I like kittens. Wait.. this is a camera.' then looked again and saw kit lens. oh well.
07-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be a K50 with a 24 megapixel sensor, some video improvement. Add in some connectivity features -- that's probably the big thing., hopefully without the need of a special card to do so.
07-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Im hoping for something substantial. Tilt screen, improved focus peaking, maybe some new features.

07-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

cross type AF points would be cool, but same as Magkelly here, I'll need to burn the shutter of my K-30 first. I could end up using only my K-30's.
07-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think an articulated screen would be a great thing to add. I don't know why Pentax cameras seem to be the only ones without it. Are articulated screens problematic because of the bend in the connection? I dunno.
07-03-2014, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I think an articulated screen would be a great thing to add. I don't know why Pentax cameras seem to be the only ones without it. Are articulated screens problematic because of the bend in the connection? I dunno.
Articulated screen add to the depth of the body, and that usually makes it more difficult to use OVF. As Pentax have SR that add extra depth, it could be difficult to combine with articulated screen without making OVF worse.

Have you ever used a Sony or Nikon DSLR with tilt-able/articulated screen? On them it can be really difficult to reach the OVF with your eye.
Pentax put priority on OVF instead (100% pentaprism with higher magnification than competition)

Attached Images

07-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Articulated screen add to the depth of the body, and that usually makes it more difficult to use OVF. As Pentax have SR that add extra depth, it could be difficult to combine with articulated screen without making OVF worse.

Have you ever used a Sony or Nikon DSLR with tilt-able/articulated screen? On them it can be really difficult to reach the OVF with your eye.
Pentax put priority on OVF instead (100% pentaprism with higher magnification than competition)
Good points. Makes sense now.
07-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
cross type AF points would be cool
"the K-30's PDAF system has 11 total AF points, nine of which are "cross-type"" - Pentax K-30 Review - Focusing Systems - PF Reviews
Or do you just mean more of them? I would like that, if they are strategically placed. Many cameras have a lot of AF points, but all clustered in the centre.. not that useful.. (except for tracking, I guess. I almost never use AF.C)

And regarding tilt screen taking space.. true, but you can just tilt it out of the way
I wouldnt even mind a screen placed on the side, like a video camcorder. Or some sort of easy tethering, connectivity. And I think these screens are getting very thin, too. Look at modern smartphones, the whole thing is thinner than an articulated screen was some years ago. Oh, and also, often Pentaxians say tilt screen - it doesnt have to be fully articulated, it can be only some degrees in one or two directions
07-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess would be a K50 with a 24 megapixel sensor, some video improvement. Add in some connectivity features -- that's probably the big thing., hopefully without the need of a special card to do so.

Seriously, how hard is it to drop all the gimmicks and just give us a wired tether feature. And convince Adobe to release support for it.

In any case, my guess is similar to yours. K-50 with a 24MP sensor, 12bit RAW, a few upgrades to the video, slight upgrade to AF. and hopefully a basic tether feature.

If they want to up the max shutter speed with flash that would be nifty.. and/or toss in a 16-50 DA* that would work too.. I see both being equally likely.
07-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I would like smaller af areas that allow more precise autofocus. 14 bit raw would be nice.
07-03-2014, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax are ARE releasing new kittens!!! Hooray!

Pentax+ /
07-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I would like smaller af areas that allow more precise autofocus. 14 bit raw would be nice.

I think we can pretty much forget 14 bit on everything but their top tier APS-C bodies.

If the next K-50 had a 24bit sensor from the K-3 and the same 14-bit RAW depth as well as weather sealing.. I'd forget the K-3. Get a K-50 replacement for several hundred less. Could spend that on a nicer lens.

That was one of the saving points for the K-5 back when the K-30 was launched.. 14-bit RAW and the mag alloy body. Otherwise, outside of the shutter, what else does it have to offer? the LCD top panel.. not sure what else.

But, hey, if they want to launch a K-50 replacement with the bigger sensor and better bit depth RAW support, I'm alll for it.
07-03-2014, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

K-3 goodies for K-50 price and bundled with a new and excellent DC motor kit lens as well! What a concept! I want what you people are smoking and I want it now. Kittens too...I want kittens.

Steve
07-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think we can pretty much forget 14 bit on everything but their top tier APS-C bodies.

If the next K-50 had a 24bit sensor from the K-3 and the same 14-bit RAW depth as well as weather sealing.. I'd forget the K-3. Get a K-50 replacement for several hundred less. Could spend that on a nicer lens.

That was one of the saving points for the K-5 back when the K-30 was launched.. 14-bit RAW and the mag alloy body. Otherwise, outside of the shutter, what else does it have to offer? the LCD top panel.. not sure what else.

But, hey, if they want to launch a K-50 replacement with the bigger sensor and better bit depth RAW support, I'm alll for it.
There are other differences:

Expanded bracketing options
Mulit-AWB
Selectable AA filter simulation
Larger battery
Optional grip
etc.