Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #121
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Having a TC (Canon calls them extenders) that work with only a handful of lenses, or just one jack-of-all-trades beast, is potentially a good idea for companies and consumers. I would look for more of this. I think Canon is onto something.
They are on to something expensive. But I met a user with that lens that was very satisfight with the result.

07-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #122
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I we consider:
  • the hiatus in significant new lens development since acquisition
  • the fact that TC was ready to be made even before the acquisition (it was on the roadmap),
  • that Pentax had its future lens roadmap developed well ahead
  • that Pentax is an optics company first and foremost and knows their lenses inside out before they put them in production (which means they design them with future development of other elements in mind)
I see no rational explanation why the TC should be postponed for so long.

So I apologise, your answer does not satisfy. It's a form of our everyday rational attempt to make our mind rest at peace by imposing some meaning in things that really don't make any sense.

And that is what we do in Pentax land all these years.
It's true that Pentax is an optics company. What a pity that Hoya let a number of their optical engineers go! This goes a long way to explaining the lack of new lenses a few years down the line.

So, being on the roadmap is proof that TC was ready? If the TC was ready to go, what motive would Ricoh have for not putting it into production? Far more likely is that either (a) the TC was in fact nowhere near the stage of production or (b) it was ready but didn't meet the new management's standards. To suggest that it was pushed back in favour of the GR is silly, because they are made in different factories in different countries and clearly don't compete for production capacity.
07-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But what about the GR and all of the compact APS-C cameras? They're pretty much pocketable. The only issue is limited lens support.. and by limited I mean nonexistent! hehe

I think if Pentax made thinner K-02 with a really nice EVF, and upped the drive speed to maybe 20 or 30 fps with a fairly sizable buffer, they'd have something really fun. But no where near the 400 dollar range haha. More like 1400. Which sort of sinks this idea... for now.

Really.. without a mirror box and the need for that shutter clacking back and forth, why can't we have massive burst framerate now? THAT would be something that would make me consider a mirrorless system.

---------- Post added 07-09-14 at 08:38 PM ----------

That would be the K-42 I believe.
Much depends on what features, frame rate, auto focus capability camera companies decide to cram in, along with registration distance. The GR is probably the smallest you could make an APS-C camera. NEX, NX, and Fuji APS-C mirrorless offerings are quite a bit larger (width and height) although they all have chosen to go with a short registration distance to allow for the mounting of other lenses.
07-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uluru, you just need to chill out a little. I understand that Pentax is DOOMED! Pentax is doing OK. They have a better line up of SLRs than they have had since the K20 was in production. Canon is still trotting out cameras that feature sensors that are 4 years old. I don't believe that the "lens situation" as you call it is driving anyone away from Pentax. I do think that Pentax needs to get into stores, advertise a little more, but it isn't the end of the world.

07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #125
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's true that Pentax is an optics company. What a pity that Hoya let a number of their optical engineers go! This goes a long way to explaining the lack of new lenses a few years down the line.
Indeed a long way. They had plans, they had patents, they had designs. If indeed people were let go, which is sad, does that mean the company cannot proceed forward with its assets that include all intellectual property? Didn't Ricoh have some optics engineers as well?
I mean, we are into fantasy scenarios right here. We are desperate and are creating a mythology.
07-10-2014, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

Rondec, I've TOLD you till I'm BLUE IN THE FACE...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Uluru, you just need to chill out a little. I understand that Pentax is DOOMED! Pentax is doing OK. They have a better line up of SLRs than they have had since the K20 was in production. Canon is still trotting out cameras that feature sensors that are 4 years old. I don't believe that the "lens situation" as you call it is driving anyone away from Pentax. I do think that Pentax needs to get into stores, advertise a little more, but it isn't the end of the world.
They're not DOOMED!, They're doomed...DOOMED! You need to give that sense of foreboding caused by the small letters followed by the dots, and then dots themselves increase the anticipation of the climactic final capitalization, thereby increasing the finality of the doomage...

Jeez! I'm NOT going to tell you AGAIN.

OK, well, yellow in the face...

Cheers,
Cameron
07-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #127
Banned

Pentax is doomed not because Pentax cannot do this or that, or because of the fact they were crippled, left adrift and without solid development for years because they were pawns in corporate games of buying and selling.

They are doomed because we have expectations that are far above common sense, and which I read constantly in this thread and more by those who say Pentax is not doomed.

Many start posts with something like “If Pentax comes with an FF like D800 then I can consider …” or “If Pentax comes with something like Nex 3 / A7000 / RX1 / X100s / RX100 etc. then I can consider … “. A pie in the sky approach.

So Pentax is doomed by very those who have same unreasonable requests imposed on one small company that needs to cure malfunctions and problems of toys of other boys. One little company cannot deliver an answer to everything available out there. That is simply a wrong approach altogether.

They will deliver something modest, conservative and unexpected, and then all of you will start scratching your heads. Therefore I’d rather Pentax come and fix some burning issues in its current offer first. Make that fundamental and essential offer work well, and then think about else. And I am worried right now not because there is no mirrorless answer from Pentax, or that there is no FF, but because I don't see that basic first step in fixing the K-mount issues yet.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Uluru, you just need to chill out a little.
Meh. He's in his depressive phase this week. Give him another few days.
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I see no rational explanation why the TC should be postponed for so long.
I think they did it to tick you off. Makes sense to me.

Steve
07-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Guess who has unreasonable expectations then moans because others have?

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 14:31 ----------

There's only one guy in a fantasy scenario and it's you Uluru.
07-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Guess who has unreasonable expectations then moans because others have?

I gues this is the window that opens and I can throw in APS-H......
07-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think they did it to tick you off. Makes sense to me.
They will deliver something modest, conservative and unexpected, and then all of you will start scratching your heads.
They did the K-01 to tick him off. The TC was something else.
07-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronhendriks1966 Quote
i gues this is the window that opens and i can throw in aps-h......
rotfl :d
07-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I guess this is the window that opens and I can throw in APS-H......
Which is still attached to a Canon camera and falls 20 stories to the ground smashing it all to bits.
07-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #135

Make K3S full frame, K60 the pro apsc, and K600 the real new k50!!!

Maybe you can even make a 4k video to compete with the mobile screen. Almost all indi videographers out there love to shoot with old vintage MF lenses...is kind of oportunity for the K mount!!