Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A rumor about a FF(35mm) Pentax

Yes, I'm new here, so I understand if you blast me. I'm on the medium format forum and for sale forum now---hope to be getting my new 645Z on Monday. Unfortunately I need to be discreet about this, but I heard last Thursday from an old friend(solid source) who heard from a direct source (U.S.) that the work on the 645Z did indeed divert resources away from work on a Pentax FF camera. No word on when or if that process might re-start, although the source did not say that project was cancelled, nor also that now it was re-started. Not a lot of help, I know, but it looks like there was some work being done.

Just a tidbit, nothing may come of it. OTOH, now that Pentax is officially using Sony sensors......I have an A7R, and am selling (tears) my beloved A850 to help finance my 645Z purchase. My experience with Sony sensors is very good. The A850 was ideally neutral, and the A7R is also, with what I think is added "panache" in terms of tonality, and certainly very good higher iso capabilities (although my use of high iso's is modest...). Pentax lenses have always been fine, and used to be great values----I had an MX back in the day and a 645N (also selling) more recently. Another thing we have been discussing on Sony forums is how FF is potentially a growth area now----much more so than a few years ago. It would be good to have Pentax in the arena.

So, wishing all of you the best of luck. On another matter, Japan/Asia still seems to be a major vacuum sucking up a lot of available Pentax products of all types: My source tells me it's tough to get product for dealers, lots backordered.....

07-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Only big problem is that you posted in the wrong sub forum. We have a dedicated section to all the other full frame rumors floating around out there.
07-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, I'm new here, so I understand if you blast me. I'm on the medium format forum and for sale forum now---hope to be getting my new 645Z on Monday. Unfortunately I need to be discreet about this, but I heard last Thursday from an old friend(solid source) who heard from a direct source (U.S.) that the work on the 645Z did indeed divert resources away from work on a Pentax FF camera. No word on when or if that process might re-start, although the source did not say that project was cancelled, nor also that now it was re-started. Not a lot of help, I know, but it looks like there was some work being done.

Just a tidbit, nothing may come of it. OTOH, now that Pentax is officially using Sony sensors......I have an A7R, and am selling (tears) my beloved A850 to help finance my 645Z purchase. My experience with Sony sensors is very good. The A850 was ideally neutral, and the A7R is also, with what I think is added "panache" in terms of tonality, and certainly very good higher iso capabilities (although my use of high iso's is modest...). Pentax lenses have always been fine, and used to be great values----I had an MX back in the day and a 645N (also selling) more recently. Another thing we have been discussing on Sony forums is how FF is potentially a growth area now----much more so than a few years ago. It would be good to have Pentax in the arena.

So, wishing all of you the best of luck. On another matter, Japan/Asia still seems to be a major vacuum sucking up a lot of available Pentax products of all types: My source tells me it's tough to get product for dealers, lots backordered.....
I agree that the DSLR crowd/users are warming up to FF upgrades now as more of my Canikony friends are picking up low end 6D, D610 and the likes. It seems to me that a FF Pentax should be rolling out soon as 645Z and K-3 are already out, and all the chips are falling in places where they can release a decent FF without compromises. Let's hope that we will see it sooner rather than later.

OTOH, regarding the comments about Pentax products in Japan/Asia, as it seems the market is quite different from North America. The last time I was at Map camera in Shinjuku, I saw at least six or seven used DA* 200/f2.8 lenses on the shelf that I was so tempted to buy one. I thought I can wait a little longer (taming my LBA) or at least think it over as I have already purchased a new version-II flash and another new DA* lens on that day. I was shocked to see them ALL gone when I returned a few days later. The guys later confirm that most of the 'current' new or used stuff move quickly and usually do not stay on the shelf for too long.
07-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I agree that the DSLR crowd/users are warming up to FF upgrades now as more of my Canikony friends are picking up low end 6D, D610 and the likes. It seems to me that a FF Pentax should be rolling out soon as 645Z and K-3 are already out, and all the chips are falling in places where they can release a decent FF without compromises. Let's hope that we will see it sooner rather than later.

OTOH, regarding the comments about Pentax products in Japan/Asia, as it seems the market is quite different from North America. The last time I was at Map camera in Shinjuku, I saw at least six or seven used DA* 200/f2.8 lenses on the shelf that I was so tempted to buy one. I thought I can wait a little longer (taming my LBA) or at least think it over as I have already purchased a new version-II flash and another new DA* lens on that day. I was shocked to see them ALL gone when I returned a few days later. The guys later confirm that most of the 'current' new or used stuff move quickly and usually do not stay on the shelf for too long.
Meanwhile I've never seen a DA*200 2.8 on a shelf anywhere... or in real life for that matter. We have a completely different shopping experience here in North America.

07-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wut? I have already seen a prototype.

07-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

And where did you see it... and was it functional?
07-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And where did you see it... and was it functional?

from Prototypes 4

""MR52" digital SLR camera (2000)
Digital SLR camera, displayed at Photokina 2000, jointly developed with Philips Semiconductors. Full frame (24x36mm) 6Mpixel resolution and Pentax bayonet mount. It was abandoned in October 2001."

07-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

The full frame Pentax? Right. Pentax are a relatively small company with a small share of the DSLR market. They already make a medium format camera and a set of lenses to go with it. And some posters honestly believe that in addition Pentax are secretly preparing a full-frame camera body? Camera companies make money from selling lenses, not bodies. What lenses is this imaginary full-frame camera going to use? Sigmas?
07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
...And some posters honestly believe that in addition Pentax are secretly preparing a full-frame camera body? Camera companies make money from selling lenses, not bodies.What lenses is this imaginary full-frame camera going to use?
Sigh. Do some research. And spend some time around the MANY FF discussions in this forum.
07-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Perhaps Ricoh/Pentax publicly saying they're working on a FF DSLR has something to do with that?
Obviously, they will have to launch new lenses; already about a dozen from their current range should work. Sony launched a FF MILC series from scratch, I don't see why it should be more difficult for Pentax which can benefit from existing lenses.
07-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hey Rawr, rather than "sighing" why don't you point me towards all those full-frame Pentax lenses?
07-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sigh. Do some research. And spend some time around the MANY FF discussions in this forum.
Why on earth would I do that?!

And why don't tapatalk filter out the Rumours sub forum...
07-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Rawr, rather than "sighing" why don't you point me towards all those full-frame Pentax lenses?
because i'm in good mood here it is :

FA ltd 31/1.8
FA 35/2
DA35/2.4
DA 40/2.8
FA ltd 43/1.9
FA 50/1.4
DA 50/1.4
DFA 50/2.8
DA 70/2.4
FA ltd 77/1.8
DA 100/2.8
DA 200/2.8
DA 300/4
DA 560/5.6
07-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This FF thread is trying to break the record of deteriorating into a flame pit. But why the hell would Pentax put a FF 70-200 lens on the time line if they were not going to make a FF camera? The sensor is there in the D600/610 and the A7. It's not like Pentax don't know how to make FF shutters mirrors en pentaprisms. IBIS is the only real problem but the A99 has it, so it is possible on FF.
07-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

You do realize Pentax, as a brand, has been around since the 50s and has been releasing Full Frame lenses in K-mount since the 1970s? K mount is a full frame mount originally designed for Full Frame 35mm cameras.

Any of the FA or DFA are Full Frame and some of the DA are even full frame (even though they aren't stated as such).
Closed Thread