Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 103
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The 200mm zoom length is interesting.

I guess that's 200mm full-frame. So one could successfully use this flash with a lens like the DA*300mm without the need for a flash extender like the Rogue Safari type rig, or even a Better Beamer. Nice.
I spoke with Metz. It seems that the Metz 64 zoom will only work from 23-75mm, so if you try to zoom over 75mm the zoom of the flash will stop at 75mm

I hope Metz will fix this bug in a future release of the firmware. I have installed the Firmware Version 1.1

Regards
Gérard

11-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: N52.157643, E20.708963
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I spoke with Metz. It seems that the Metz 64 zoom will only work from 23-75mm, so if you try to zoom over 75mm the zoom of the flash will stop at 75mm

I hope Metz will fix this bug in a future release of the firmware. I have installed the Firmware Version 1.1

Regards
Gérard
Unfortunately, it's not Metz. Below is a reply from Metz technical support posted on local Polish Pentax forum:



Basically the value of the focal length which is used on the camera is transferred to the flash unit by a serial digital data bus. This camera data bus also includes a byte for the focal length. Therefore this byte transfers the value of the focal length to the flash unit and the flash unit sets the corresponding position of the zoom reflector.

However, we had to realise that the camera data bus of Pentax cameras transfers a maximum focal length of 105 mm respectively 70 mm (zoom size). If a longer focal length is used on the camera the camera still transfers the value of 70 mm as maximum value. This is why the flash unit mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital for Pentax can't recognise a longer focal length and sets always the 70 mm position at zoom size.

If a lens with digital focal length of 100 mm to 300 mm such as the mentioned Sigma lens is used the mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital already sets the afore-mentioned position of 70 mm at shortest focal length of the lens. If a longer focal length is used the reflector position is still set in 70 mm position depending on the afore-mentioned Pentax data transfer.

Unfortunately we can't change it by a modification of the mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital firmware. Normally the camera firmware has to be modified for this. Therefore if a longer focal length is used on the camera and the maximum guide number of the flash unit is needed the zoom reflector of the flash unit has to be manually set.

Best regards

Technical support
11-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by Mel_PL Quote
Unfortunately, it's not Metz. Below is a reply from Metz technical support posted on local Polish Pentax forum:



Basically the value of the focal length which is used on the camera is transferred to the flash unit by a serial digital data bus. This camera data bus also includes a byte for the focal length. Therefore this byte transfers the value of the focal length to the flash unit and the flash unit sets the corresponding position of the zoom reflector.

However, we had to realise that the camera data bus of Pentax cameras transfers a maximum focal length of 105 mm respectively 70 mm (zoom size). If a longer focal length is used on the camera the camera still transfers the value of 70 mm as maximum value. This is why the flash unit mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital for Pentax can't recognise a longer focal length and sets always the 70 mm position at zoom size.

If a lens with digital focal length of 100 mm to 300 mm such as the mentioned Sigma lens is used the mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital already sets the afore-mentioned position of 70 mm at shortest focal length of the lens. If a longer focal length is used the reflector position is still set in 70 mm position depending on the afore-mentioned Pentax data transfer.

Unfortunately we can't change it by a modification of the mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital firmware. Normally the camera firmware has to be modified for this. Therefore if a longer focal length is used on the camera and the maximum guide number of the flash unit is needed the zoom reflector of the flash unit has to be manually set.

Best regards

Technical support
Hmmm...reminds me of the Sigma 8-16mm issue (i.e. Pentax doesn't make a lens wider than 10mm so why bother reporting the proper exif focal length for lenses wider than that)
11-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 103
This bugs will never be fixed!

The problem asking the Asian Companies for Firmware Update is nearly impossible. Because of the hierarchal structures in the companies it will take years before an improvement is made. In the mean time new bodies will released and probably the errors will still be available in this newer bodies :-(

11-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,292
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
The problem asking the Asian Companies for Firmware Update is nearly impossible. Because of the hierarchal structures in the companies it will take years before an improvement is made. In the mean time new bodies will released and probably the errors will still be available in this newer bodies :-(
This isn't a bug per se but a limitation of Pentax own way of functionning (and not dealing with features they do not offer so they don't give a damn).
Annoying but it is understandable Ricoh do not take time to fix things for others IMO.
11-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This isn't a bug per se but a limitation of Pentax own way of functionning (and not dealing with features they do not offer so they don't give a damn).
Annoying but it is understandable Ricoh do not take time to fix things for others IMO.
This would explain the under exposure I get when shooting rally cars using my 60-250mm at more than 70-ish mm.
Does this mean there is similar limit on Pentax's own flash?
Brian

Last edited by BrianL; 11-28-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Adding text.
11-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 361
I don't remember this happening on my Metz 58-AF1 (Although it has died, so I cannot check) and my Sigma Flash has no problem zooming to 105mm when using my 50-500mm. ?
11-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,260
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
How many times have you taken out your flash in inclement weather ?
Well, he does in in British Columbia. Big fan of Vancouver myself. I have spent as much as three weeks at a time up there. Just about every time you go out you go into the rain. But the city looks good in the rain.

11-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, he does in in British Columbia. Big fan of Vancouver myself. I have spent as much as three weeks at a time up there. Just about every time you go out you go into the rain. But the city looks good in the rain.
Just about everytime I take mine outside it's in inclement weather. It gets used to photograph rally cars and it always seems to be raining, sleeting or snowing when I use it. Freezer bags do come in handy.
Brian
10-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jlstrawman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 545
QuoteOriginally posted by duyduc Quote
Company call my glass pentax pentax camera K1 the currently xaoi 1 and 1 lamp metz 64 AF1, vaoo But when shooting an evening of the original lamp on the lamp IR brightness Assistive metz 64 AF1

Very difficulty does not light towel and DSC. Pentax my view the proposed Company laii Carved and Rehabilitation Issues this to me. Many temperate Emotionally
Bad Google translation?
10-27-2016, 02:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,292
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Bad Google translation?
Hope so?
10-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,251
QuoteOriginally posted by duyduc Quote
Dear Company I am using 1 pentax pentax camera lights K1 and 1 metz 64 AF1, when shooting at night, the infrared lamp light support metz 64 AF1 not light and very difficult to capture. I suggest the company Pentax review and fix the problem for me. thanks a lot
Just a fyi - I think this is a spambot of some sort, but I'm just letting it play out to see what the next spam it issues might me. In the meanwhile do enjoy these absurd pronouncements that come out of spamdonia. Either that or Google translate is even worse at Vietnamese than any other language

Thank you,
the mgmt.
10-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Just a fyi - I think this is a spambot of some sort, but I'm just letting it play out to see what the next spam it issues might me. In the meanwhile do enjoy these absurd pronouncements that come out of spamdonia. Either that or Google translate is even worse at Vietnamese than any other language

Thank you,
the mgmt.
I don't think this is a spambot. duyduc is trying to explain exactly the same thing in his/her/(its?) two messages but it's much more understandable in the second one: the infrared remote control doesn't work with the Metz 64 AF-1 flash on a Pentax K-1.

I think duyduc thinks Pentax Forums is an official forum managed by Pentax to provide assistance to their clients.
10-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,251
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I don't think this is a spambot. duyduc is trying to explain exactly the same thing in his/her/(its?) two messages but it's much more understandable in the second one: the infrared remote control doesn't work with the Metz 64 AF-1 flash on a Pentax K-1.

I think duyduc thinks Pentax Forums is an official forum managed by Pentax to provide assistance to their clients.
Thanks - could be! I'll try mailing him
10-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #30
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,952
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I don't think this is a spambot. duyduc is trying to explain exactly the same thing in his/her/(its?) two messages but it's much more understandable in the second one: the infrared remote control doesn't work with the Metz 64 AF-1 flash on a Pentax K-1.

I think duyduc thinks Pentax Forums is an official forum managed by Pentax to provide assistance to their clients.


The spambot is learning.


If not stopped the world will be destroyed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af-1, af-2, metz, metz 64 af-1, metz 64 af-1 flash p-ttl, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital for Pentax Iberia Sold Items 2 02-16-2014 01:37 PM
For Sale - Sold: Metz 50 AF-1 P-TTL Flash for Pentax Heie Sold Items 2 11-12-2013 11:48 PM
Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 flash (for pentax) 92nina Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 02-18-2013 12:14 PM
For Sale - Sold: Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1 digital flash (PRICE DROP) rperez Sold Items 5 12-16-2012 11:22 AM
For Sale - Sold: Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 digital for Pentax hoanpham Sold Items 2 10-19-2012 12:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top