Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #316
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Can be seen as a joke.
Probably.
But it's real.
It has similar size and almost the same weight as K-3.
If it can't be double-checked against other sources, it doesn't exist. If it can be invalidated by other sources... sorry

08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The price gap between the K-3 and 645Z is still too wide to swallow, and the linear resolution between the FF of other makers and the 645Z is negligible..
Linear resolution is meaningless as images are not one-dimensional.
The dilemma is that a FF camera will cannibalize Pentax sales and probably in itself not profitable. A 24mp FF camera will compete with the 24mp K-3. A 36mp FF camera could compete with the 645z. I'm not sure there is space for a Pentax FF system.....
08-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want to point something.

Both rumors, about sales of 645z and about the postpone of Pentax FF seems to come from same kind of sources. Dealers. One of this rumors is, in my view, clearly false. Maybe, the second rumor, about the postpone of FF is also false. I don't know. But both rumors seems to serve the same purpose. Pushing up the sales of the existing cameras, 645z and K-3. At least this is my opinion.
08-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #319
mee
Pentaxian

Not of the dFF is 500-1000 USD more than the K-3.. then it doesn't compete.

Just like Canon still sells loads of APS-C bodies such as the 70D yet also sells loads of the 6D FF. The price difference keeps them separate.

08-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Linear resolution is meaningless as images are not one-dimensional.
The dilemma is that a FF camera will cannibalize Pentax sales and probably in itself not profitable. A 24mp FF camera will compete with the 24mp K-3. A 36mp FF camera could compete with the 645z. I'm not sure there is space for a Pentax FF system.....
I'm not upgrading to the K-3, I would upgrade to FF and keep de k-5. Also FF will prevent people from leaving Pentax altogether. Ricoh won't launch it in a hurry though because they want to get it right the first time. They would not survive a D600 screw up. 36mp is probably too much for most. Ricoh could just launch 2 versions 24mp and 36mp. (like sony does with the A7(r/s).
08-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not of the dFF is 500-1000 USD more than the K-3.. then it doesn't compete.

Just like Canon still sells loads of APS-C bodies such as the 70D yet also sells loads of the 6D FF. The price difference keeps them separate.
Canon have more than ten times the number of customers that Pentax have. They can afford to fill every niche.

---------- Post added 08-01-14 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'm not upgrading to the K-3, I would upgrade to FF and keep de k-5. Also FF will prevent people from leaving Pentax altogether. Ricoh won't launch it in a hurry though because they want to get it right the first time. They would not survive a D600 screw up. 36mp is probably too much for most. Ricoh could just launch 2 versions 24mp and 36mp. (like sony does with the A7(r/s).

People will still leave Pentax because of FF. You can be sure that the moment a Pentax FF body is released the whining will start; Its is only 24mp; it is not 24mp; you cannot buy one as there is no 400/2.8 AF lens for it. Nikon and Canon have more lenses so it is pointless...etc...etc...we heard it all before...
It is not realistic that Pentax will have more than one FF body in the line-up for the foreseeable future. And the lens line-up will be very restricted compared to Nikon and Canon. The whining is not primarily about what people want or need but for the whining itself; they need an excuse to consume and experience changes. They will have no problem finding something to be unhappy about after Pentax have released their FF body. They will post threads where they proclaim their deflection to another brand because Pentax refuse to update the camera after 6 months on the market.....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-01-2014 at 06:11 AM.
08-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter

Logic

Assuming Ricoh Imaging is not just purely bad businessmen - it is simple and logical.

If Pentax can make a profit selling a FF DSLR
Then Pentax will release a FF DSLR.
Otherwise they won't.

We won't know what market barrier holds Pentax back from releasing a FF DSLR.
We won't know when that market barrier has been breached before a FF DSLR appears.

The only logical explanation I can imagine is (whether explicitly or by winks and nods) CaNikon have conceded advancing APS-c DSLR technology to Pentax so long as Pentax stays out of FF.

That also leaves crop MF another niche for Pentax to fill.

I still say effort was moved from developing FF lenses into developing 645 lenses after pre-order IOI's - which pushed everything else to the side. Right now it is 645 all the time.
08-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The only logical explanation I can imagine is (whether explicitly or by winks and nods) CaNikon have conceded advancing APS-c DSLR technology to Pentax so long as Pentax stays out of FF.

That also leaves crop MF another niche for Pentax to fill.
There was rumors to this effect years ago......in the film days....

08-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #324
Pentaxian

They can afford to fill every niche.
Not everything that is here today sprung up overnight.

Canikon built their current lineup piece by piece, year by year, camera model by camera model. Nikon was very slow to move away from APS-C and step into FF, Canon was equally slow about moving away from APS-H and into proper FF. Their current FF lineup was a slow evolution.

I believe there is room in the marketplace for Pentax to introduce a FF, and progressively develop their role in FF. Just like Nikon and Canon have done.
08-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #325
Site Supporter

People will still leave Pentax because of FF. You can be sure that the moment a Pentax FF body is released the whining will start; Its is only 24mp; it is not 24mp; you cannot buy one as there is no 400/2.8 AF lens for it. Nikon and Canon have more lenses so it is pointless...etc...etc...we heard it all before...
It is not realistic that Pentax will have more than one FF body in the line-up for the foreseeable future. And the lens line-up will be very restricted compared to Nikon and Canon. The whining is not primarily about what people want or need but for the whining itself; they need an excuse to consume and experience changes. They will have no problem finding something to be unhappy about after Pentax have released their FF body. They will post threads where they proclaim their deflection to another brand because Pentax refuse to update the camera after 6 months on the market.....
This is so spot on.

You could also add that few, if any, of the whiners would buy the FF body, much less a 400/2.8 should it be released (because it ain't a 500/2, and it's too big and expensive).

I know, I know. I want everything, too, and I want it for free.

End of rant.
08-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #326
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This is so spot on.

You could also add that few, if any, of the whiners would buy the FF body, much less a 400/2.8 should it be released (because it ain't a 500/2, and it's too big and expensive).

I know, I know. I want everything, too, and I want it for free.

End of rant.
Yes I agree as well. I suspect some people think that FF will make them a better photographer. But it is interesting to see some pro photographers moving away from FF due to the hassle of carrying it around.

I can testify to the joys of small cameras. I traded my Q for a Pentax 645 film camera. The 645 is great in many ways but it is so big I never want to take it anywhere. Meanwhile I am now eyeing a Q7 and waiting for the price drops.
08-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #327
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

People will always whine. Not a reason not to make a FF camera. Pentax doesn't need more bodies for FF a different sensor in the same body is easy Pentax also had de K-5 II and IIs.
08-01-2014, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #328

They are currently making the best stills camera in the world. Bang for buck is totally there. If you think the overpriced d810 is anywhere near it you are lucky and should jump on it. If not, continue waiting for the camera that will never come out. That ideal camera doesn't exist. Theres no custom garage for cameras. Yet.

Other systems full frameyness gets hugely let down by 'this'll do' kit lenses and all covering pro stuff. Theres nothing special in canons line up that isn't telephoto (useless to me). Nikon has the 14-24. No gorgeous primes. They then shoot the apsc stuff in the foot to get you to 'upgrade'. I'm not gonna spend $2.5k on a Pentax 35mm camera. But I wouldn't want them to release anything less then that. I expect higher quality from them. And the lenses. A broken motor 16-50 2.8 has way more to it then a 24-85 3.5-5.6. Maybe not for snap shots, but these aren't good cameras for those...
08-01-2014, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

Here is the Pentax K2

Pentax K2 - Camerapedia

Good One banep
08-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #330
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Can be seen as a joke.
Probably.
But it's real.
It has similar size and almost the same weight as K-3.
You must have some relationship with Ricoh then ... and that amazes me that it is way out there in Slovenia.
Make sure to keep feeding us on the rumour ... we like that here!

JP

---------- Post added 08-01-14 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It even has one of my favorite lens on it: the 43mm Ltd in silver.

JP