Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Congrats, but you should be banned for your (not so good) joke
From the site that brought us the K-1, one April the First not so very long ago?

08-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #347

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Me too. In my mind, at least is needed a successor for K-50, one for K-500, and an FF. And at least 2-3 K mount lenses. If not all at Photokina, but in a rapid succession, until December
In my opinion after Photokina Pentax will slowly start to build the range of FF glasses and finally then he will introduce the FF body.
08-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
In my opinion after Photokina Pentax will slowly start to build the range of FF glasses and finally then he will introduce the FF body.
This I can understand. Maybe Ricoh wants to avoid releasing a camera that would become outdated technically before it was practical for very many to buy it due to lack of lenses. Of course there are FA and D-FA lenses available today but it's not a big lineup. No zooms, either, I think.
08-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
This I can understand. Maybe Ricoh wants to avoid releasing a camera that would become outdated technically before it was practical for very many to buy it due to lack of lenses. Of course there are FA and D-FA lenses available today but it's not a big lineup. No zooms, either, I think.
Sony has launched his A7 series with very few dedicated lenses for it, but it has success. In this moment, I thing that Pentax has more lenses suitable for FF, and there are some third party lenses also.

08-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly, when Pentax thinks they are ready to launch a FF they will launch a FF, and not before. There must be something we don't understand - MAYBE

• other ideas seem more likely to succeed;
  • Pentax doesn't want to release just a camera and the 'System' things aren't ready;
  • they actually don't have the technology (not likely);
  • their estimation of their potential market is smaller than the cost-effective order minimum for FF Sony sensors
  • Japan-centric market is prohibitive (probably some credence to that)
  • production constraints (maybe for lenses - some credence to that, too)
  • K-mount backward compatibility
    • I think I would actually laugh if 'Enable Aperture RIng' was not in the Menu on the FF
  • ???????

Whatever it is, something legitimate is holding them back.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.
08-02-2014, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #351
Veteran Member

I will believe that Pentax will not launch a FF camera at Photokina, after Photokina will end. The rest are just rumors.

That doesn't mean that I believe strongly that they will do it. I'm just sick and tired of all that rumors and speculations..

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 08-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
08-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #352
Veteran Member

Sony has launched his A7 series with very few dedicated lenses for it, but it has success. In this moment, I thing that Pentax has more lenses suitable for FF, and there are some third party lenses also.
Yes... few dedicated lenses but many adaptable lenses. There are plenty of stories of people putting the FA Ltds on the A7.

08-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #353
Veteran Member

And I think that you can put your FA, F, A, M, K, lenses on a, ''future'' Pentax FF, better than on a Sony A7.
08-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #354
Veteran Member

And I think that you can put your FA, F, A, M, K, lenses on a, ''future'' Pentax FF, better than on a Sony A7.
True but there must be at least 10x the number of FF lenses you can stick on that dang Sony FF MILC (once you get the appropriate adapter).

IMHO, the real question is whether the FA Ltd and D-FA lineup is big enough to launch a FF DSLR. If nothing else, it's at least something tangible to start with.
08-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #355
Veteran Member

just wondering- if Pentax can't make a dFF camera, why hasn't Fuji toyed around with the idea yet? They can make their own sensors.. And they pretty much launched the X-mount line with only 3 lenses. Is it also because how smaller they are compared to CanikonY? Imagine a 36x24 XT-1... (thinner than a K-3, but just as high)
08-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Rumor has it that Fuji will come out with a 44x33mm mirrorless. We'll see.
08-02-2014, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
IMHO, the real question is whether the FA Ltd and D-FA lineup is big enough to launch a FF DSLR.
Short answer is no, IMHO.
To launch a FF system (not just a camera but a full "we are in it to stay" system) you need zooms:
16-35 ish (something ultra wide anyway)
24-70 f/2.8 (or similar)
70-200 f/2.8 (or similar)
and primes:
20mm
31mm
43mm
50mm f/1.4
50mm macro
77mm
100mm macro
300mm

Many of the primes are already available and with new coatings would be just fine. But without those three zooms it is not going to happen. There are a number of other lenses that should be included (like a 135-400 or a 400mm prime) but those can be added later after the launch without being an issue.

Actually looking at the list Ricoh could launch with a rather impressive list of prime lenses if they revised the line similar to what they did with the DA Limiteds. But it will take a lot of work/time to put three top quality zooms in the basket and there is no reason to release a camera that will not sell without an excellent modern zoom lens line.

And yes I know the FA*28-70 and 80-200 designs are on the shelf, but those are old, antiquated designs that incorporate power zoom making them even heavier and more complex. I don't want a re-run of 20 year old technology. That will not be good enough if they really want to play in this market.
08-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ This - and IMHO work on these lenses was deferred to work on 645 lenses, despite what another poster responded. Pentax is a small company with a limited staff of engineers and limited production facilities. There might actually be more money in 645, especially since Pentax has first-mover advantage with the new sensor.

This is the most logical impediment. Nothing else makes sense.
08-02-2014, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax has first-mover advantage with the new sensor.
I thought they had a cost advantage... but Hasselblad/Phase One were first to market?
08-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #360
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Rumor has it that Fuji will come out with a 44x33mm mirrorless. We'll see.
The sensor can't be to expensive then. Well if all of them make a camera with that sensor, the market for it will grow and all wil make a loss in the proces. There is a market for a mirrorless with that sensor.With a registrationdistance shorter then K-mount the camera could be the size of the K-01!!!!!!!!!!!