Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Depends on whether they do a dual line with f/2.8 glass and then either f/4 or variable aperture glass or just stick with one range which might be variable f/2.8-4 which will really make people here unhappy.
People here would be unhappy if they released a 12-1200mm F/1

Only 100X? And why isn't it F/.95

08-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
People here would be unhappy if they released a 12-1200mm F/1

Only 100X? And why isn't it F/.95
1200mm F1. Does it come with a truck to carry it?
08-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #378
Veteran Member

Well, one thing the rumors seem to agree on is that the next K-mount lens to be announced, probably at Photokina, is a 1xx-4xx lens, and supposedly FF compatible.

Having spent some time this weekend shooting the Seafair Boeing Air Show (and water races) with my Tamron 70-200 and often wanting a bit more reach, this is probably my most wanted K-mount lens right now. A 100-400mm f/4-5.6 with IQ at least on par with the Canon 100-400 and WR/DC (and reasonably priced) would be perfect IMO, and help fill in the void in high quality zooms longer than the 60-250 (and serve the same role for FF, should it come out, as the 60-250 does for APS-C).

Last edited by Cannikin; 08-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.
08-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #379
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
the three Limiteds (all of which a few posters here say have not been produced in over two years)
This keep being repeated, but the FA Limiteds are not discontinued according to Ricoh. They are still in all the catalogues, still on the roadmap and seem to be as widely available as any other Pentax lens. And then last week I saw an FA77 in the new Ricoh style box. I also saw the D-FA50 macro and DA*300 in the new boxes.

Staff at retail stores are not reliable sources for this kind of thing. For a start, when would Ricoh brief them about this kind of thing? And secondly they have a clear motivation to make up stuff up to sell what they do have in stock - "Sorry. That ones discontinued. But how about this Sigma 85mm?"

08-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This keep being repeated, but the FA Limiteds are not discontinued according to Ricoh.
I think you misunderstand. The comment being repeated was that the FA Limited are not currently being manufactured but are being supplied from old stock. AFAIK no one has said they are discontinued. The reasoning being that manufacturing is done in batches and then the line is changed to make something else. The comment was that the FA Limited line had not seen a production run in two years. That may or may not be significant since we do not know how many were made or how fast they sell.

And the comment is now dated somewhat so it is even possible Ricoh has run another batch. Personally I doubt that as if they did it would make sense to update the coatings as they did with the DA Limiteds. So either they are using up old stock and when it is gone there will be no more, or they are using up old stock and when it is mostly gone will release new updated Limiteds. Hopefully with new coatings, aperture ring and quick shift.
08-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #381
JPT
Pentaxian

I suppose in fairness monochrome didn't use the word discontinued. I don't want to misrepresent what he said. The thing is that all lenses could be described as out of production until the manufacturer needs a new batch, so this kind of comment could panic people into buying a lens or holding off, but it's just business as usual.

Having seen the newly packaged FA77 makes me think it'll be around in its current form for a while at least. I can't imagine that they have a guy taking old FA77s out of their Pentax packaging and repacking them in Ricoh boxes.
08-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #382
Pentaxian

This keep being repeated, but the FA Limiteds are not discontinued according to Ricoh.
Why is it then that a German dealer has not been able to order FA Limiteds for years now?

We end users naturally have to speculate a lot because we don't know anything for sure. However when a German dealer tells me he cannot order FA Limiteds anymore because Pentax has ceased production and also people with insider knowledge like asahi man confirm that FA Limited production has ceased then that tells me there is probably more to the story than just a temporary production halt.

One can believe that there is a difference between "ceasing production" and "never producing these lenses again", but if we were really talking about a temporary halt only, why wouldn't it be possible for Pentax to provide the German dealer with FA Limiteds so that he can sell them?

A new FA 77/1.8 in a new Ricoh box sounds odd with respect to the above, but perhaps this means that
  1. they still have a lot of inventory that they would like to sell, and
  2. there is an FF model to be released soon that comes also in bundles involving the FA Limiteds.

Last edited by Class A; 08-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.
08-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #383
Veteran Member

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be any shortage of FA Limiteds at least here in Manila (Philippines). Old stock maybe, but the distro here says they can offer new in case there's no stock in-store.

but I've yet to see a FA Limited in a Ricoh box.
08-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #384
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Well, one thing the rumors seem to agree on is that the next K-mount lens to be announced, probably at Photokina, is a 1xx-4xx lens, and supposedly FF compatible....
Last year all DA limiteds were updated with HD, also the 55-300 was updated with WR and HD.
And that was not signified anywhere even a day prior to change. No one had a clue about it.
Rumours and rumour mongers and so called insiders -- and all of us here for that matter -- have no clue about anything. Ricoh is in total control of things.
08-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be any shortage of FA Limiteds at least here in Manila (Philippines).
Which supports the theory that old (distributor?) stock is being sold wherever it appears to be.

The NY dealers, for instance, have not been selling silver versions (with one exception) for a very long time. Why not?
08-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #386
JPT
Pentaxian

All I know is that the FA Limited have been constantly in supply here in Japan and now one of them shops in a new box. By the way, all the other FA Limited, including the 77 in black were still in Pentax boxes. And I'm sorry to hear you have trouble getting Pentax stuff where you live.
08-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #387
Banned

All I know is that the FA Limited have been constantly in supply here in Japan and now one of them shops in a new box. By the way, all the other FA Limited, including the 77 in black were still in Pentax boxes. And I'm sorry to hear you have trouble getting Pentax stuff where you live.
How does the new box looks like?
08-04-2014, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #388
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Rumours and rumour mongers and so called insiders -- and all of us here for that matter -- have no clue about anything. Ricoh is in total control of things.
I would just like to point out that one of those who suggested that a 1xx-4xx FF lens was imminent a number of months ago was in fact you. Obviously you've had a change of heart since then.
08-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #389
Pentaxian

So, if Limiteds get WR/HD update, how many of you people owning those fine lenses would need to upgrade?
08-04-2014, 04:45 AM   #390
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
So, if Limiteds get WR/HD update, how many of you people owning those fine lenses would need to upgrade?
Non need to, but maybe some will, just for having the new one.