Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #436
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Presumably a new Pentax mirrorless would similarly jettison a lot of the legacy aspects of the K and adapt a whole new design.
I believe that is called the Q-mount.

08-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If there is such a thing as "micro four thirds" which came from a "four thirds" mount then why not have a "micro K" mount then? It would certainly follow a me-too plan but it would be interesting.
It does not really matter what is the name of the mount, but if Ricoh choose to design a new mount optimized for large sensor mirrorless it will probably be lots of changes on it, just like it was from 4/3 to mft mount. it's not only the register distance that differ between 4/3 and mft mounts.
But the 4/3 mount had the advantage of being an all electronic interface, so it made it easier to design an adapter for 4/3 lenses on mft.

But the "micro K" is probably going to need more changes. Fi the mechanical linkage to control AF and aperture from the camera will probably be removed, and the electrical interface will most likely be updated and not be positioned on the mount surface like on the K-mount. The size of the mount will most likely be changed too. But these thing do not really matter anyway as there would not be much point in being able to mount a K-mount lens on "micro K", or vise versa. The adapter take care of that.
08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #438
Marketplace Reseller

Ha, touche!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #439
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If there is such a thing as "micro four thirds" which came from a "four thirds" mount then why not have a "micro K" mount then? It would certainly follow a me-too plan but it would be interesting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But the 4/3 mount had the advantage of being an all electronic interface, so it made it easier to design an adapter for 4/3 lenses on mft.

But the "micro K" is probably going to need more changes. Fi the mechanical linkage to control AF and aperture from the camera will probably be removed, and the electrical interface will most likely be updated and not be positioned on the mount surface like on the K-mount. The size of the mount will most likely be changed too. But these thing do not really matter anyway as there would not be much point in being able to mount a K-mount lens on "micro K", or vise versa. The adapter take care of that.
Well not being full electronic mount is one of the issues with the K-mount that probably does interfear with taking the route Sony and Olympus took That won't be so easy since when you loose function on old lenses there is no logical reason to go with the new mount when old lenses don't work. Olympus lost most of it's customers over the years they let go of the 4/3th dslr.

08-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #440
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Nah, the Q mount is "nano-K".
08-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #441
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well not being full electronic mount is one of the issues with the K-mount that probably does interfear with taking the route Sony and Olympus took That won't be so easy since when you loose function on old lenses there is no logical reason to go with the new mount when old lenses don't work. Olympus lost most of it's customers over the years they let go of the 4/3th dslr.

it's easier than Sony's autofocus (i.e. translucent) E to A mount though, IMO.

The biggest problem is the mechanical aperture (also the reason Sigma gives for not making some lenses in K mount). So the adapter would cost $400 or $500.

Still worth it IMO for backwards compatibility.
08-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #442
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
it's easier than Sony's autofocus (i.e. translucent) E to A mount though, IMO.

The biggest problem is the mechanical aperture (also the reason Sigma gives for not making some lenses in K mount). So the adapter would cost $400 or $500.

Still worth it IMO for backwards compatibility.

Really zero chance that a lot of people would buy that adapter. Way to expensive.
08-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #443
Site Supporter

Really zero chance that a lot of people would buy that adapter. Way to expensive.

Depends. If this adapter is cheaper than replacing my lens collection then I would save up for it.

08-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #444
Pentaxian

Sony A-mount has the same mechanical linkage as K-mount have, and they have adapters that fully support A-mount lenses on E-mount.

The disadvantage is that the adapter get expensive as it need AF-motor and mechanical linkage for aperture.
Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent LAEA4 B&H

But on the other hand a Sony A7 + fully supported A-mount adapter is cheaper than A99.
08-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #445
Site Supporter

Amazon.com : Sony LA-EA4 E-Mount to A-Mount Full-frame Adapter : Camera & Photo

Perhaps $500 was more than what is required, as Pentax wouldn't need a translucent mirror.

I'd rather buy a $400 adapter than purchase $5,000 in lenses.
08-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #446
Site Supporter

I still believe the on-sensor AF will soon be used by Pentax engineers to do something surprising, as SR was adapted to astro-imaging. Maybe Lytro all-in-focus shots in camera, special AF bracketing or some such?
08-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #447
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I still believe the on-sensor AF will soon be used by Pentax engineers to do something surprising, as SR was adapted to astro-imaging. Maybe Lytro all-in-focus shots in camera, special AF bracketing or some such?
In-camera focus stacking would be wonderful...
08-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #448
Marketplace Reseller

Am I correct in thinking htat the sensor only moves in teh X and Y axis,but not Z? If that's the case, stacking using the sensor is out of the question. Might be able to be done with standard AF, though, but you'd need software compensation since the whole camera body isn't moving as in traditional stacking. If the sensor did move in Z, you could perhaps coordinate it with the AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
In-camera focus stacking would be wonderful...
08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #449
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Sony A-mount has the same mechanical linkage as K-mount have, and they have adapters that fully support A-mount lenses on E-mount.

The disadvantage is that the adapter get expensive as it need AF-motor and mechanical linkage for aperture.
Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent LAEA4 B&H

But on the other hand a Sony A7 + fully supported A-mount adapter is cheaper than A99.
The adapter is large, heavy, costly, and sells poorly.
08-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #450
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't get it....

What value does a mirrorless EVF camera of any mount in APSc or FF have, with a sub par diluted quality focusing finder have? Does anyone here actually believe that a photographer that has customer satisfaction and IQ to deliver would stake their rep on something focused on a pixelated VF? If so, ok. Just hard to fathom....

Snaps, Backup camera/body? Maybe. Underwater? Yup. Product shoot? Macro? Wildlife? Not for our clients. Worked too hard to get them....

And as I noted before.... FF cannot out resolve a 24mp APSC until it reaches near 51mp. Simple optical engineering.... Landscapes? 645z/ hassy or d810 with a tidy widey..... Else, what is all of the buzz/ kvetching about on FF or worse yet FF mirrorless? I haven't seen output anywhere that would make me rollover for FF. At 24-36mp, FF is a sub-optimal resolver.

Risk averse businesses that have proven themselves will always be the hype-skeptics. Better a fast follower than a bleeding-edge lesson-learner.... Give me great glass, a good tough body, and a crisp sensor. And Please.... Pentax Gods, deliver a 100-450mm 0r 150-450, or 135-380, or 100-400, or 250-500, or anything so we are not consigned permanently to Sigma. I wait, with baited breath, to turn over a 120-400 DG (whatever)... OK, but just wrong ...on a K-3...