Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The adapter is large, heavy, costly, and sells poorly.
Yes of course, just like fast high quality glass . But they are still important products to have.
With the A-mount adapter you can get DSLR performance on continuous AF, which otherwise would require an even more heavy and costlier DSLR.

08-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #452
Veteran Member

How many units has it sold?
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #453
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But other than that it is something Ricoh should do. Because MIRRORLESS!!!!!
08-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #454
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You forgot ugly!

08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The next lens should be not a 2,8 70-200. It is the telezomm till 4xxmm
Personally I would be more than happy with just that. Anything else would just be a bonus.
08-06-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
What value does a mirrorless EVF camera of any mount in APSc or FF have, with a sub par diluted quality focusing finder have? Does anyone here actually believe that a photographer that has customer satisfaction and IQ to deliver would stake their rep on something focused on a pixelated VF? If so, ok. Just hard to fathom....
Few years ago, this was digital that was not good enough for pro... Now film is used by fews. How many years for electronic view finder to replace most reflex? 10 years? 20 years?

The reflex system cannot show what the camera really see. it cannot really insert information like focus peaking, histogram or just show the actual exposure not with just a number but with actual content. It cannot reframe. The view finder can't neither show the real deph of field without loosing most of it's light. The mirror make design of wide angle lenses more bulky, expensive and of lesser quality. Overall it is an expensive thing that can fail and limit the shooting rate.

Said like that I wonder why anybody would even want an optical viewfinder.
08-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #457
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Few years ago, this was digital that was not good enough for pro... Now film is used by fews. How many years for electronic view finder to replace most reflex? 10 years? 20 years?

The reflex system cannot show what the camera really see. it cannot really insert information like focus peaking, histogram or just show the actual exposure not with just a number but with actual content. The view finder can't neither show the real deph of field without loosing most of it's light. The mirror make design of wide angle lenses more bulky, expensive and of lesser quality. Overall it is an expensive thing that can fail and limit the shooting rate.
Neither does an EVF - it is merely an electronic estimation of what the sensor captured.
08-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #458
Pentaxian

The reflex system cannot show what the camera really see. it cannot really insert information like focus peaking, histogram or just show the actual exposure not with just a number but with actual content. It cannot reframe. The view finder can't neither show the real deph of field without loosing most of it's light. The mirror make design of wide angle lenses more bulky, expensive and of lesser quality. Overall it is an expensive thing that can fail and limit the shooting rate.

The point of a (optical) viewfinder is not to see like the sensor sees. It is an aiming, framing and composing device. Images are created and previsualized inside the photographers mind. DSLR's do have an electronic finder as well; it is called LCD screen.....
Optical viewfinders will go out of fashion the moment optical glass do the same...

08-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #459
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How many units has it sold?
18 reviews worth.

---------- Post added 08-06-14 at 07:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But other than that it is something Ricoh should do. Because MIRRORLESS!!!!!
Ricoh GR and Q.

The Q-mount is the cute toy, last gasp of small sensors in a dedicated mount or form factor.
08-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #460
Pentaxian

I've personally considered EVF many times for several of the reasons you stated, but when it comes down to it, I have never used an EVF that isn't terribly laggy and of poor image quality, And that goes for the newest generation (it's what kept me from pulling the trigger on an A7).

The first EVF I ever used was on a Camcorder about 30 years ago, and despite the greater information richness of today's cameras, it is shocking how little the picture quality has progressed (and the responsiveness has actually regressed with the introduction of digital, whereas analog EVFs were basically real-time). I guess it's just hard to make a good looking screen that small. It gets even worse when the gain is cranked up in low light and everything turns into a noisy mess in order to maintain a reasonably real-time scene.

As I see it, right now I can have a camera that has the benefits of an OVF - real time vision, excellent "picture" -, and if I want the bells and whistles, I can get them on the rear screen. It is just an overall more comfortable and smooth shooting experience, and one with a much faster shooting rate, and higher keeper rate, than that of any mirrorless I have tried.

If EVFs improved dramatically, would I consider switching? Of course. Being able to trim down the size/weight of my it and to have greater reliability would be nice bonuses, but right now, I, as I am sure many others are, am willing to pay a premium for a premium shooting experience. I just can't get that experience with a mirrorless camera at the current state of technology. And given how slowly viewfinder quality has progressed, I'm not sure if I will be able to get such an experience any time in the foreseeable feature.

08-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #461
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR and Q.

The Q-mount is the cute toy, last gasp of small sensors in a dedicated mount or form factor.
this forum need a sarcasm font...
08-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #462
Pentaxian

The EVF also cannot show what the camera really see; the tiny LCDs have limits. It can of course insert information - some of it needed to compensate for its deficiencies (focus peaking), I'm not sure how it could reframe - as it can't see anything outside what the sensor captures.

I wonder why people aren't queueing to have their eyes removed and replaced with tiny digital cameras.
08-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #463

EVF : I handled a Fuji XT-1 yesterday and I was quite impressed. There is one thing that could bother me about EVFs: since the sensor is always working when turned on, is it not a bit "dangerous" for overheating it ?.
08-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm confused.. wasn't the big rumor there WAS going to be a FF body announced at Photokina? Now, the rumor has turned 180 degrees to no FF body announced and just a couple of trinkets.. /facepalm.

This is what the head of Ricoh/Pentax marketing says about FF:

"We concentrated our techs into K-3 and believe in that it never falls behind FF even after there have been a lot of comparisons between APS-C & FF. Said that, we should never betrayed loyal customers who has been investing to (note: DA) lenses. If we neglect them to launch a FF model or two to challenge the area where we are not strong, it’s going to make no sense at all."

APS will have priority....
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #465
Veteran Member

18 reviews worth.
Sony is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!