Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #481
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,218
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I like AF noise. It gives feedback when the camera is focusing and when it has found it.....
It's true. It took a little time to adjustment to my first HSM lens.

08-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #482
Veteran Member
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,525
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote

I really doubt that we will ever see a lens like the upcoming Fuji X 16/1.4 for a APS-C DSLR.
And if we did it would probably be massive, heavy, and expensive
08-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #483
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
Fuji X16 is a micro 4/3 lens, right ? On APS-C it has a field of view equivalent to a 24 mm. And there is already a 24mm f1.4 (in the Sigma world)
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #484
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Fuji X16 is a micro 4/3 lens, right ? On APS-C it has a field of view equivalent to a 24 mm. And there is already a 24mm f1.4 (in the Sigma world)
No, it is an APS-C lens. The Fuji X system is APS-C.

08-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,954
RE the upcoming Fuji 16mm F/1.4:

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
And if we did it would probably be massive, heavy, and expensive
Well, I bet the Fuji will be one of those things...

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Fuji X16 is a micro 4/3 lens, right ? On APS-C it has a field of view equivalent to a 24 mm. And there is already a 24mm f1.4 (in the Sigma world)
No. Fuji X-mount is an APS-C mount. So it's 24mm FF equivalent FoV, or 12mm m4/3.

The Samyang 12mm F/2 is another example of the advantage of shorter registration distance for fast wide lenses.
08-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #486
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,105
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The advantage of mirrorless it that the retrofocus design get less extreme with shorter register distance, so they require less glass than comparable DSLR lenses.
A question, if you don't mind, Fogel ... why does a mirrorless need a retrofocus lens?
08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #487
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I really doubt that we will ever see a lens like the upcoming Fuji X 16/1.4 for a APS-C DSLR.
But we could definitely see the equivalent for the FF! In fact there's already a 24mm F/2.0, just a hair faster than the Fuji.

The K-mount is definitely too large for the APS-C sensor, sure.
08-07-2014, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #488
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,283
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A question, if you don't mind, Fogel ... why does a mirrorless need a retrofocus lens?
Digital sensors need lenses of telecentric design, i.e.that ensure low, image-sided, raypath angles. Digital sensors do not 'like' sharp incidence angles of the rays at the edge of the image, which cause vignetting, blur (because of crosstalk) and colour shifts (usually magenta colour shift).

A retrofocus design is an example of quasi-telecentric design.

08-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #489
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Digital sensors need lenses of telecentric design, i.e.that ensure low, image-sided, raypath angles. Digital sensors do not 'like' sharp incidence angles of the rays at the edge of the image, which cause vignetting, blur (because of crosstalk) and colour shifts (usually magenta colour shift).

A retrofocus design is an example of quasi-telecentric design.
And a lot of the reason mirrorless lenses aren't really all-that-much smaller or lighter than DSLR lenses.

The camera is lighter, sure.
08-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The advantage of mirrorless it that the retrofocus design get less extreme with shorter register distance, so they require less glass than comparable DSLR lenses. So for mirrorless it's possible to design wider and faster wide angle lenses without them requiring extreme amount of glass. DSLR with APS-C sensor have the biggest disadvantage as it use the same register distance as FF DSLR.

I really doubt that we will ever see a lens like the upcoming Fuji X 16/1.4 for a APS-C DSLR.
That said the current DSLR corps excels at telephoto lenses.

DSLR + PDAF + telephoto = market
08-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,954
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
And a lot of the reason mirrorless lenses aren't really all-that-much smaller or lighter than DSLR lenses.
Samyang 14mm F/2.8, K-mount: 530g.
Samyang 12mm F/2, X-mount: 260g.

Faster, wider, and half the weight...
08-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #492
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Samyang 14mm F/2.8, K-mount: 530g.
Samyang 12mm F/2, X-mount: 260g.

Faster, wider, and half the weight...
The 14mm is a full frame lens. Samyang hasn't designed a sub-530gram, 9mm F/1.8 lens for APS-C.

So, on the cameras it was designed for, the 14mm is faster + far, far wider. The difference between 9mm and 12mm is huge!
08-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #493
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,232
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The 14mm is a full frame lens. Samyang hasn't designed a sub-530gram, 9mm F/1.8 lens for APS-C.
Neither a 2.8 lens or a 2 lens is an 1.8 lens.
Aperture is not defined from DOF but from exposure. Ie the amount of light reaching the sensor/film.The aperture is proportional to the square root of the light admitted, and thus inversely proportional to the square root of required exposure time, such that an aperture of f/2 allows for exposure times one quarter that of f/4.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
08-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #494
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Neither a 2.8 lens or a 2 lens is an 1.8 lens.
Aperture is not defined from DOF but from exposure. Ie the amount of light reaching the sensor/film.The aperture is proportional to the square root of the light admitted, and thus inversely proportional to the square root of required exposure time, such that an aperture of f/2 allows for exposure times one quarter that of f/4.
I can take the same pictures with a 14mm F/2.8 lens on a FF camera that I can on a 9mm F/1.8 lens on a APS-C camera. Same exposure time and everything. It's amazing, except that it's just equivalence and it just works.

Honestly if you're trying to convince me you're wasting keystrokes. I have different format cameras. Equivalence works.


I maintain that there's not much difference in weight of MILC lenses compared to DSLR.
08-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,105
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Digital sensors need lenses of telecentric design, i.e.that ensure low, image-sided, raypath angles. Digital sensors do not 'like' sharp incidence angles of the rays at the edge of the image, which cause vignetting, blur (because of crosstalk) and colour shifts (usually magenta colour shift).

A retrofocus design is an example of quasi-telecentric design.
Thanks for the explanation, Mistral!

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
And a lot of the reason mirrorless lenses aren't really all-that-much smaller or lighter than DSLR lenses.
Well, the Fuji wide angles are smaller and lighter, EJ, it was pointed out in another thread, because of the short registration distance.

The teles are presumably harder to engineer.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Neither a 2.8 lens or a 2 lens is an 1.8 lens.
Aperture is not defined from DOF but from exposure. Ie the amount of light reaching the sensor/film.The aperture is proportional to the square root of the light admitted, and thus inversely proportional to the square root of required exposure time, such that an aperture of f/2 allows for exposure times one quarter that of f/4.
I think the actual definition is the ratio of focal length to aperture diameter, Pal, rather than DoF or exposure.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, anniversary, body, canon, cif, dslr, ff, focus, hood, hoya, jp, lens, lenses, line, market, mf, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina, post, pre-orders, release, ricoh, rumors, stock, train
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photokina 2014 - FF Tesla Pentax Full Frame 797 11-14-2014 11:14 PM
Official PF Photokina Meetup Adam Travel, Events, and Groups 42 09-26-2012 11:33 AM
Photokina interview larkis Pentax Medium Format 5 09-22-2012 04:36 PM
Photokina price drop? Dynasty Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-21-2012 04:27 PM
Predict Pentax Photokina Announcements selar Photographic Industry and Professionals 72 08-20-2012 04:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top