Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #541
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I believe that more than 10% of Pentax DSLR users will buy a FF camera. I personally know some folks who didn't buy K-3, because they wait for an FF. Even more, a big part of Pentax users are not simple pleasure photographers, but enthusiasts, with more than one camera, and many lenses in their possession. And If this FF will cost less than 2500$, I think will be a boom from the beginning.
Well how many are that? My guess is that 10 % is even optimistic. All the users of before K-5 don't go that route on that percentage. I don't see the K-50/K-30/K-r/K-01 crowd going that way. So if Pentax had a 4 % marketshare over the past 3 years that are just over one million camera's and thus maybe 100.000 FF camera's. Unless they can attrack new users to the K-mount.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 08-09-2014 at 12:44 PM.
08-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the launch of K-3, I've seen many former Canon and some Nikon users that change to Pentax, in my country, and also here on this forum. So, IMO, the figures are a little bigger, and will rise if a FF Pentax will be pair in quality with K-3.
08-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #543
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
From the launch of K-3, I've seen many former Canon and some Nikon users that change to Pentax, in my country, and also here on this forum. So, IMO, the figures are a little bigger, and will rise if a FF Pentax will be pair in quality with K-3.
I was wrong about the numbers, so it does look a little better.
08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
A question from left-field, just for fun

If a Pentax/Ricoh FF DOES come out at Photokina, Who will buy it and who will wait till next year for version 2.

héhéhéhé....... A question just to get folks talking a bit.
I would seriously consider getting one if:
1) it were a DSLR and not a MILC. Not that I don't like MILCs, it's just that I already have one, it satisfies me, and I dont need to invest in another.
2) if it had good manual focusing aids such as one-touch magnification and peaking or a kick ass OVF with a focusing screen optimized for fast glass.
3) If it were in the same price range as a D610.
4) If Pentax offers serious, fast glass and doesn't use the excuse of "modern DSLRs high ISO is good enough that it's not required".

#2 Is the one that I am flexible with. If #4 is satisfied, my need of using legacy MF glass goes away.

08-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #545
Veteran Member

If we look at the sales of DSLR worldwide, and we consider that the usual time of use for a camera is about 5 years or more, I think that there are more than 60 millions users, even bigger than 100 millions. Here, on that forum are persons who still use K-7, K-20, and even older cameras. Personally, I will bet for more than 100 millions.

So, I think that the number of Pentax DSLR users is between 3 and 5 millions.
08-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would seriously consider getting one if:
1) it were a DSLR and not a MILC. Not that I don't like MILCs, it's just that I already have one, it satisfies me, and I dont need to invest in another.
2) if it had good manual focusing aids such as one-touch magnification and peaking or a kick ass OVF with a focusing screen optimized for fast glass.
4) If Pentax offers serious, fast glass and doesn't use the excuse of "modern DSLRs high ISO is good enough that it's not required".

#2 Is the one that I am flexible with. If #4 is satisfied, my need of using legacy MF glass goes away.
I mean they say that by design they are not going that route of fast glass anyway.

I really think people project what they want and not what is likely to occurs. it is not like pentax did not say they want to focus on small and light lenses instead of fast lenses.

The only modern lens Pentax has with f/1.4 is the 55mm f/1.4, all FA are already older and all the DA ltd line is f/2.4 or slower. And ultimately it is easier to make small lenses for APSC image circle than FF.
08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #547
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF would be OK. I'd consider investing even though I've parted with several very good FF lenses. I would be more interested in a K3II with a few improvements, such as a tilt or tilt/swivel screen, or maybe a tilting EVF similar to that on a Sony NEX. Not sure that increasing pixels above 24 would add much, as that screen probably out resolves 90% of available lenses. However, something with significantly less noise at high ISO would be welcome, although that is more in the labs of suppliers than Ricoh itself.

08-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If I was to bet my gut feeling I'd bet closer to the D800 in capability and features - and price ($2,699 versus $1,899), which is part of the reason it is taking so long.

I would have to bet the K-3 improvements are developmental steps toward a competitive top-line FF. They don't need to worry about it competing with the 645Z, but competing with the K-3 just wouldn't work and I bet the K-3 as is has a 24 month run. My bet is a D800 competitor comes sooner. My bet is a D610 competitor comes later.

But that would just be betting my gut feeling.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-09-2014 at 03:16 PM.
08-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #549
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is a wise way to go.

On the other hand. If they can manage to make a FF camera model (like K-3) and run a productionline with between 2500-4000 units a month and make that profatable then I think they can release that camera today (or yesterday). With a productionrun between 30k and 48k units a year I think they can make the sales. That is a marketshare of max 5 % of the Full Frame market, so some of us may have to wait some time. If it can only be done in mass production needed at least twice that production I don´t know if that will come soon.
They can share a lot of design/components with the K3 - as they successfully did on the 645. The real issue is the design of a modern full frame lens offer. They hardly release one 645 lens per year.
08-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #550
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
If a Pentax/Ricoh FF DOES come out at Photokina, Who will buy it and who will wait till next year for version 2.
I will buy it as soon as my pocketbook recovers from the K-3. At that point I will continue to shoot with BOTH!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-09-14 at 03:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I would have to bet the K-3 improvements are developmental steps toward a competitive top-line FF.
I agree. The migration of the K-3 functionality to the 645Z is a prime example of Ricoh's current capabilities.

Steve
08-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #551
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...)

The migration of the K-3 functionality to the 645Z is a prime example of Ricoh's current capabilities.

Steve
Hoya did the same with K-7 and 645D.
08-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Hoya did the same with K-7 and 645D.
Pentax did it under both owners.
08-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax did it under both owners.
Pentax is nothing more than a brand name nowadays, like Lumix (Panasonic) or Alpha (Sony).
08-09-2014, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax is nothing more than a brand name nowadays, like Lumix (Panasonic) or Alpha (Sony).
Please. We've been over that ground. A company is its traditions and its employees. I don't care who owns it or what the name is, the company is Pentax.
08-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #555
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To my mind, the most logical first full frame from Pentax would be one which did not encroach on the 645Z's territory, which is basically landscapes and studio. As such, a D810 competitor would not make much sense.

A D4/1Dx competitor would be a better fit, as this is an area nothing in the Pentax range currently covers. High burst speed, great high ISO capability, lowish (24 or less) megapixels, snappy autofocus, big viewfinder, tethering and decent video.

If such a camera were to come in a K-3+ sized package, and cost < $4000, it would make a BIG splash at Photokina. Maybe in 2016