Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
If the Canon MF is about the same price, I would agree that many professionals and minted enthusiasts will adopt it because of the reasons you give, Uluru. But if it's twice as expensive, who knows? Interesting that it is shown with a Schneider lens mounted.
It's just a Photoshopped image; not the actual camera. In fact it's the Mamiya 645DF:

08-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #632
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's just a Photoshopped image; not the actual camera. In fact it's the Mamiya 645DF:
Ah, thank you. Mamiya is one brand I know nothing about.
08-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #633
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Actually I was pointing out more at the announcement itself, it just happens to contain a big image which is most probably like you said, an altered image. But in any case, if Canon IS serious about launching a MF camera this Photokina, that would be a big threat to Pentax's 645 system, given their extensive "cover" (and marketing of course)

So while the Ricoh reps are very uptight on any big guns they're hiding for the year's biggest photography expo, I just hope they have what it takes to survive the next 5 years against the big boys encroaching on all sides.
08-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #634
Pentaxian

About that ''Canon-Mamiya'' MF camera, I has some doubts that will be made with Sony sensor, knowing how much work Canon is making in developing new and also big sensors.

08-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #635
Pentaxian

Come on, people - every camera manufacturer but Panasonic was rumored to enter the minuscule medium format market. Do you still believe such rumors?
The Canon MF was probably made up by some Canon user upset that Pentax has a larger format camera.
08-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #636

I've once heard a rumor on Canon investing in Phase One, which Mamiya is making lenses for. The easiest way for Canon to enter MF is to buy Phase One=Mamiya.
08-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #637
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Ah, thank you. Mamiya is one brand I know nothing about.
Mamiya and Leaf belong to Phase One, which is the largest maker of medium format digital backs and associated cameras.
08-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #638
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Mamiya and Leaf belong to Phase One, which is the largest maker of medium format digital backs and associated cameras.
Wait, if this is the case, then in truth there's only Hasselblad and Phase One in the MF market, aside from Pentax?

edit: oh there's Leica too

08-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #639
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe you just should use a Full Frame lens on it and stop cropping...........
Yes but Nikon has this feature. Pentax can't avoid it.
Nikon has also a crop mode for APS-C camera - crop to 4/3rd I think. Some of my friends appreciate this feature
08-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Wait, if this is the case, then in truth there's only Hasselblad and Phase One in the MF market, aside from Pentax?

edit: oh there's Leica too
You are right, there are currently four players in the digital medium format market: Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax and Phase One / Leaf / Mamiya. And three sensor designers: Sony (CMOS), Teledyne Dalsa (CCD) and Truesense Imaging (CCD, about to exit).
08-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #641
Veteran Member

while we're talking about MF
You are right, there are currently four players in the digital medium format market: Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax and Phase One / Leaf / Mamiya. And three sensor designers: Sony (CMOS), Teledyne Dalsa (CCD) and Truesense Imaging (CCD, about to exit).
How about Aptina? Don't they design sensors too? Ah and there's Toshiba also... Or is that one for processors (e.g. Fujitsu)?

and while I'm at it... Leica seems to be launching a 4k-video-capable new S model in Photokina 2014. How is Pentax gonna one-up that one.. aside from price?
New Leica S to be Announced at Photokina, Packs a 40-50MP CMOS Sensor & 4K Video
08-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #642
Pentaxian

The Canon MF rumor has been floating around since last Photokina, and if I recall, it was revealed to be a hoax pretty quickly.

From 2012:
Canon Medium Format DSLR and Sony NEX-6 Both Coming Next Month?

And here, the same guy spreading the same rumor in 2013:
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/19/rumor-canon-hopes-to-launch-a-digital-medium-format-system-in-2014/

And apparently it was done back in 2010 as well:
Canon release MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA! (april fools joke) - Canon Digital Photography Forums

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 06:32 AM ----------

The black box with the Canon logo completely out of perspective with the rest of the image as well as an image of the original Mamiya camera only elicits a "probably?"

Actually I was pointing out more at the announcement itself, it just happens to contain a big image which is most probably like you said, an altered image.

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 06:36 AM ----------

I think price alone will be more than enough. I strongly suspect the Leica will cost at least 10x as much the 645z, and I highly doubt that it will make a big splash with cinematographers even with 4k because of 1) the ridiculous price tag and b) the fact that outside of IMAX lenses, very few cinema lenses will actually cover a sensor of its size.

while we're talking about MF

How about Aptina? Don't they design sensors too? Ah and there's Toshiba also... Or is that one for processors (e.g. Fujitsu)?

and while I'm at it... Leica seems to be launching a 4k-video-capable new S model in Photokina 2014. How is Pentax gonna one-up that one.. aside from price?
New Leica S to be Announced at Photokina, Packs a 40-50MP CMOS Sensor & 4K Video

Last edited by dcshooter; 08-11-2014 at 06:41 AM.
08-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #643
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, AFAIK, TrueSense (old Kodak) is out and IMO, if Dalsa doesn't something special (and IMO opens to other OEMs than PhaseOne) they'll be out very soon.
Sony sensors are that good. And a single supplier su**s for obvious reasons.
Maybe if DALSA offered well priced Full645 sensors at acceptable prices...
08-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #644
Veteran Member

I think toshiba sensors are on pretty much on par with sony though.... too bad they don't make a big sensor; but I'm hoping they or someone else tries for a 56x41.
08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #645
Pentaxian

Canonikon MF is not very likely since they would have to develop a whole new line of lenses. The same reason why Pentax doesn't have a MILC with a aps-c sensor yet. I would sooner see Fuji come with a milc mf camera looking at the companies history.