Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #706
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,823
Nikon and Sony Alpha also have mechanical/lever aperture control. Canon's is electronic.

08-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #707
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 79
QuoteOriginally posted by marmaduke Quote
Cologne, 16.-21.09.2014
Strange, no fervour for the damn thing. it's literally 2 months (ish) away. how come we got no rumours going??

heres the link by the way:
photokina | Home

there isn't much to go on. but still, no rampant religious chanting for a FF?? where are my pentax cultists FFS?
OK Lets look at what might occur at Photokina 2014, a few ideas from information gathered.
1 Pentax will launch a 12-28 f4 zoom lens to keep the APSC users happy. this lens is all ready made by Tokina so the rebranding to Pentax is no problem.
2 Pentax will launch a midrange in house designed and made zoom maybe a 16-60 f4 or f2.8 (24-90mm in 35mm) new SDM motor design.
3 the above two lens' will replace the current 12-24 16-50 and 50-135 as Tokina has ceased production and the current APSC user must be supported.
4 Pentax will launch a full frame camera, nothing radical here (when times are tough stick to what you know) the K1 will be a modified K3 chassis with a new condenser lens and mirror box (straight of the MZ-S), I think it will be 24mp, as 24mp is 24mp apsc or ff generated so no need for any hardware or software changes from the K3, grip will be unique to K1, but will not much changed from the current DBG-4/5 design.
5 Three full frame lens' will be announced at the same time 17-35mm f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 the last is the mysterious entry on the lens road map, all three are actually made by Tokina (two of the lens' are all ready in production, and Tokina have announced the 24-70 f2.8 and shown a production copy at CP+) all three rebranded to Pentax.
well that's my crystal ball gazing done
08-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #708
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,564
QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
3 the above two lens' will replace the current 12-24 16-50 and 50-135 as Tokina has ceased production and the current APSC user must be supported.
Doesn't makes sense since Tokina does not produce for Pentax.
08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #709
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 198
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Doesn't makes sense since Tokina does not produce for Pentax.
I won't bet on that prediction then, lol

08-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #710
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
It is possible that lenses that are not available from 3rd party manufacturers could be made available under license; The Tamron 24-70 and Tamron 70-200 could be rebranded and launched with a FF and may already be filling up a warehouse somewhere. Both of those lenses are better than the Nikon equivalent in many respects.

I have the Tamron 24-70 and it's a very nice lens apart from the 70mm end, which is soft and must be stopped down 1 or 2 stops to get an acceptable IQ. The 24-70 is as sharp as a lot of primes (even sharper) between 24 and 60mm and it has VC that works.
08-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #711
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,564
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I won't bet on that prediction then, lol
This is no prediction but fact until now.
08-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #712
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,022
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It is possible that lenses that are not available from 3rd party manufacturers could be made available under license; The Tamron 24-70 and Tamron 70-200 could be rebranded and launched with a FF and may already be filling up a warehouse somewhere. Both of those lenses are better than the Nikon equivalent in many respects.

I have the Tamron 24-70 and it's a very nice lens apart from the 70mm end, which is soft and must be stopped down 1 or 2 stops to get an acceptable IQ. The 24-70 is as sharp as a lot of primes (even sharper) between 24 and 60mm and it has VC that works.
Well then you have to team up with them.
08-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #713
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,768
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
While it's shame that sigma has stopped producing some great lenses in K-mount, its hardly surprising given their recent innovative releases and high demand.
It's also not that surprising that people who buy pentax often prefer small and light rather than massive and fast.
What lenses have they discontinued? I noticed the 70-200 (fortunately I have one) - are there others? Thanks

08-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #714
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,569
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
What lenses have they discontinued? I noticed the 70-200 (fortunately I have one) - are there others? Thanks
Apparently, the 8-16 and the 70 macro have been discontinued as well.

---------- Post added 08-15-2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
the above two lens' will replace the current 12-24 16-50 and 50-135 as Tokina has ceased production
Does Tokina produce these lenses? I believe Tokina and Pentax both produce their own versions of the lenses. They share the same optical formula, but are otherwise different, with different coatings, different exterior finish, different mounts. And how could a 16-60 f4 lens replace the DA* 16-50 f2.8 and the DA* 50-135?

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Three full frame lens' will be announced at the same time 17-35mm f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4
That would be nice, but I suspect will see the 70-200 released before the other full frame lenses because (1) it's already on the roadmap; and (2) it fills a hole in the APS-C lineup better than those other lenses would. However, since there's already a 60-250 f4, I believe the 70-200 will be an f2.8 lens. Moreover, Pentax has already filed a patent for a 70-200 f2.8 lens:

08-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GlassJunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Petersburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 382
Interesting list.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
OK Lets look at what might occur at Photokina 2014, a few ideas from information gathered.
1 Pentax will launch a 12-28 f4 zoom lens to keep the APSC users happy. this lens is all ready made by Tokina so the rebranding to Pentax is no problem.
2 Pentax will launch a midrange in house designed and made zoom maybe a 16-60 f4 or f2.8 (24-90mm in 35mm) new SDM motor design.
3 the above two lens' will replace the current 12-24 16-50 and 50-135 as Tokina has ceased production and the current APSC user must be supported.
4 Pentax will launch a full frame camera, nothing radical here (when times are tough stick to what you know) the K1 will be a modified K3 chassis with a new condenser lens and mirror box (straight of the MZ-S), I think it will be 24mp, as 24mp is 24mp apsc or ff generated so no need for any hardware or software changes from the K3, grip will be unique to K1, but will not much changed from the current DBG-4/5 design.
5 Three full frame lens' will be announced at the same time 17-35mm f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 the last is the mysterious entry on the lens road map, all three are actually made by Tokina (two of the lens' are all ready in production, and Tokina have announced the 24-70 f2.8 and shown a production copy at CP+) all three rebranded to Pentax.
well that's my crystal ball gazing done
I see:

the 12-24 WR coming in 8 months
Item 2 won't happen for a year, but several duplicate lens classes will be DC'd
Item 3 not likely on DC of 16-50 DA* and 50-135 DA*, they ARE the differentiators....
Item 4 a year or more out, and the most economic R&D will be a K-01 modified for FF and an EVF added
Item 5 will happen just before the FF announcement

Tokina's influence is Zero. IMHO
08-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #716
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,201
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Apparently, the 8-16 and the 70 macro have been discontinued as well.

---------- Post added 08-15-2014 at 07:00 AM ----------


That would be nice, but I suspect will see the 70-200 released before the other full frame lenses because (1) it's already on the roadmap; and (2) it fills a hole in the APS-C lineup better than those other lenses would. However, since there's already a 60-250 f4, I believe the 70-200 will be an f2.8 lens. Moreover, Pentax has already filed a patent for a 70-200 f2.8 lens:
Wasn't this design used for the Q's 06 lens already? Or is this a new one?
08-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #717
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,511
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
(...)
Pentax has already filed a patent for a 70-200 f2.8 lens:
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Wasn't this design used for the Q's 06 lens already? Or is this a new one?
Yes, it was.
08-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #718
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GlassJunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Petersburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 382
I would rather have a 60-250+ 2.8 and pay up than buy an obsolete 3x 70-200 f2.8 (new design and all). So you add a TC1.4x and get a 98-280 F4? 60-250 kills that idea.
08-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,752
I guess you could say the Pentax FF vs. APSc debate could come down to kenses - and we'll discern some hints if we see some new lenses:

The camera technologies will be essentially analogous. The cameras essentially will have a 3-year half life.

FF = Bigger, heavier, faster lenses.
APSc = Smaller, lighter, more elegant, slower lenses.

Pick your poison.
08-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #720
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GlassJunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Petersburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 382
Yes. But...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I guess you could say the Pentax FF vs. APSc debate could come down to kenses - and we'll discern some hints if we see some new lenses:

The camera technologies will be essentially analogous. The cameras essentially will have a 3-year half life.

FF = Bigger, heavier, faster lenses.
APSc = Smaller, lighter, more elegant, slower lenses.

Pick your poison.
Not Necessarily Slower.... DA*s do the same except miss F2.8 from 135-200 (zooming) Still have a 200mm F2.8 DA*
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, anniversary, body, canon, cif, dslr, ff, focus, hood, hoya, jp, lens, lenses, line, market, mf, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina, post, pre-orders, release, ricoh, rumors, stock, train
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photokina 2014 - FF Tesla Pentax Full Frame 797 11-14-2014 11:14 PM
Official PF Photokina Meetup Adam Travel, Events, and Groups 42 09-26-2012 11:33 AM
Photokina interview larkis Pentax Medium Format 5 09-22-2012 04:36 PM
Photokina price drop? Dynasty Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-21-2012 04:27 PM
Predict Pentax Photokina Announcements selar Photographic Industry and Professionals 72 08-20-2012 04:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top