Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #76
Veteran Member

I'd put at least one other thing on the list - how easily does the AF lock on to something other than the target?

My biggest beef with the K-5 is that the center AF point is so large that the AF often locks on to the first thing it finds.

07-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #77
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'd put at least one other thing on the list - how easily does the AF lock on to something other than the target?

My biggest beef with the K-5 is that the center AF point is so large that the AF often locks on to the first thing it finds.

I like the center AF point.. that is how I shoot.. focus on subject with center point, then recompose and shoot. Learned to do that with the K-x which had no AF visuals in the OVF. Has worked well here.. even for tracking low flying jets at fast speeds.. have to be quick and steady with the recompose though!

What would be neat is an eye tracking sensor in the VF that focuses on whatever your eye focuses/follows.

Last edited by mee; 07-13-2014 at 06:18 PM.
07-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Please Monochrome, no more fancy and totally off-topic excuses. We are well past beyond that era of such excuses, so let it rest in the past. We need better ones this time:

A. A punctured tyre in some of the office manager's car who was about to press "Start production" button but ended up in hospital (and only he could do it because the button is fingerprint sensitive).
B. Broken down ice-cream machines in steaming hot Tokyo.
C. Running out of staples. Etc.

Thanks.
You might be happier with another brand. It's OK if that happens. You don't woe Pentax anything.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2014 at 06:15 PM.
07-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes you get so personally involved with a product or company that you want them to succeed so badly that every misstep they make is frustrating. Sort of like your local football club. You still love them even when they fall on their face and embarrass you. If you did not care you would not be shouting or criticizing them but rather just ignoring them. Perhaps our good friend Uluru is in this situation, he cares so much he is angry they do not succeed as they should. I do not know him personally of course, so it is not for me to say, but perhaps he does care a lot.

07-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What would be neat is an eye tracking sensor in the VF that focuses on whatever your eye focuses/follows.
Canon did that a few years back, but for some reason they have abandoned it.
07-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You might be happier with another brand. It's OK if that happens. You don't woe Pentax anything.
Perhaps he doesn't want to be happier, but as unhappy as possible and complaining loudly about stuff?

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sometimes you get so personally involved with a product or company that you want them to succeed so badly that every misstep they make is frustrating. Sort of like your local football club. You still love them even when they fall on their face and embarrass you. If you did not care you would not be shouting or criticizing them but rather just ignoring them. Perhaps our good friend Uluru is in this situation, he cares so much he is angry they do not succeed as they should. I do not know him personally of course, so it is not for me to say, but perhaps he does care a lot.
Or perhaps some people think they could do better without having a clue about the job; in their mind there is the perfect plan (lacking all details, all constraints) and when the company doesn't follow it, they're getting angry.
Not launching according to the plan is seen as a personal affront; real constraints becomes "excuses". And that's how lengthy posts full of nonsense are made

We know someone who tried to advise Pentax because he knew better; it failed, Pentax ignored him. He opened a blog and dedicated his life to Pentax bashing. The claim is the same, that he's "loving" Pentax - what silly lie, one doesn't love by hating.

And getting back to Photokina, I expect less than many here are hoping - though the products will make sense and will help Pentax grow further. I also expect hell breaking loose on this forum and others, and lengthy posts complaining that the perfect plan was not followed.
07-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Canon did that a few years back, but for some reason they have abandoned it.
Canon Eos 5E and 50E (as for european names) from respectively Q4 1992 and Q4 1995.
One could do it much better now IMO.

07-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Very recognizable. Like when a child isn't doing its best in school while you KNOW they can do so much better if they would just apply themselves even a little. Very frustrating. So...

[Tough love]
Do you know how to calculate the age of a dog in human years? You have to multiply its age by 7 to understand how old it would be if it were human. It's sort of the same with Pentax. However, you have to DIVIDE by 10. In that case the K-3 launch was last week and the 645Z yesterday. So, you can't ever expect them to release something new again tomorrow at Photokina.
[/Tough love]

On a serious note though, I think it's the Q's turn again now.
07-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #84

Photos: Albums
Here are my predictions -

K-FF - No where to be seen. Not happening right now. Get over it.
K-1 (Professional APSC Body) - I wouldnt be surprised if Ricoh is gauging the market on this one. Maybe we will see a mystery camera body mockup. Ultimately, it will be unnamed, and there wont be any hard information on it.
K-3 II - Not for Photokina. I suspect that as Ricoh gauges the market, and tinkers in the shadows with higher end models (we know theyve at least toyed with the thought of a FF model) we will likely see a K-3 Mk II in the spring of 2015 as a "holdover" model for something greater. Im guessing though that any K-3 successor will be next year.
K-60/70 - This will be at Photokina. Think K-3 "lite" much like the K-500 was a K-5 "lite". This model will likely have the 24 MP sensor and could have the same AF module as the K-3, as well as weather sealing, but will be limited to a 12-bit RAW, a slower FPS, and will still be without a vertical grip option.
K-600/700 - See K-60/70 above and think of the same differences as between the K-500 and K-50. No weather sealing, slower FPS, no grip. May also have an older AF module to save cost.
Q-5 - I suspect we will see an announcement for a Q improvement. Same 1/1.7" sensor, but with other improvements. 14-16 MP. Better dynamic range (albeit it will be much smaller than most will want - it is a small sensor). There will also be minor improvements to the buffer, and overall response of the camera. This new model may have a body style change to it. There has been a rumor that Ricoh will announce TWO Q models by years end. Im guessing (personal opinion) that they will be identical but one may be labelled as a Q Pro with a metal body instead of a plastic one. They may also try to separate the models more by having the plastic one with a 14 MP sensor and the metal one with a 16 MP sensor. A more radical guess is that they may make them 100% identical internally, with the only difference of the more expensive one having some sort of EVF (either built in or as an attachment that can ONLY communicate with the Q-5 and NOT the older models).
Macro lens for Q - Im guessing that this one is close to ready to go, and we will probably see a more finalized mockup and maybe an official announcement.
K-series lenses - Id guess that Ricoh will show at least one mockup of a lens there. Not sure how close it is to being ready to go. Dont be surprised either if Ricoh announces the DA 18-55 AL HD lens (in God knows how many versions - L, WR, ?) Theyve HD'd everything else, its time for the kit lens to have its day again.

There will also be substantial space given to the 645 and emphasis on "all the lenses" available.

After Photokina 23% of the readers of this post will declare that Ricoh is "Doomed" and of that 23%, 15% of them will jump ship to another brand with 12% of them returning within 12 months. 52% will be utterly disappointed and will threaten to leave the brand if they dont improve their offerings in the next year. As for me, Ill take my K-5 and Q out shooting and love every minute of it!
07-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #85
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
After Photokina 23% of the readers of this post will declare that Ricoh is "Doomed" and of that 23%, 15% of them will jump ship to another brand with 12% of them returning within 12 months. 52% will be utterly disappointed and will threaten to leave the brand if they dont improve their offerings in the next year. As for me, Ill take my K-5 and Q out shooting and love every minute of it!
Oh no problems then. When 15 % off 23 % leave then only a few leave, just 34,5 out of a 1000. And when 12% off the leaving groupe returns then the loss is even less and reduced to 30 alive Pentaxians leaving the door permanently.

With the average age off Pentaxians off around 65 years old we lose more members to Mr Death......
07-14-2014, 03:23 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
With the average age off Pentaxians off around 65 years old we lose more members to Mr Death......
Is that true?! Pentax should do something about that. They benifit a lot more from someone that gets tied to the brand when young.
07-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Is that true?! Pentax should do something about that. They benifit a lot more from someone that gets tied to the brand when young.
I will make a poll......

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/268047-demographics-pentaxians.html
07-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Mrs eljamoquio and I have long suspected the average Pentaxian is older than the dslr norm.
07-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Mrs eljamoquio and I have long suspected the average Pentaxian is older than the dslr norm.
Added to it that the average DSLR user is also older then the average camera user. At least, a few years ago I saw everybody using DSLRs all the time, but it is as if now suddenly they were deemed uncool by the younger generation.
07-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #90
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Added to it that the average DSLR user is also older then the average camera user. At least, a few years ago I saw everybody using DSLRs all the time, but it is as if now suddenly they were deemed uncool by the younger generation.
Yes indeed, they sold K-x in all colors in shiploads to Japanese schoolgirls, but that time is over.