Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Added to it that the average DSLR user is also older then the average camera user. At least, a few years ago I saw everybody using DSLRs all the time, but it is as if now suddenly they were deemed uncool by the younger generation.
I work in New York City and I must say I still see a lot of DSLRs being carried by tourists. Most with kit lenses, of course.

07-14-2014, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #92
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I work in New York City and I must say I still see a lot of DSLRs being carried by tourists. Most with kit lenses, of course.
That is because New York has some extra to it. For lots off tourists it's their only trip to New York in their life, so making photo's is important to them. The same goes for safari's in Afrika where people buy the 50-500mm lens for.
07-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For lots off tourists it's their only trip to New York in their life, so making photo's is important to them.
Saw the same thing in Yellowstone last fall. Everybody had a DSLR, well everybody except those trying to take a picture of a bison with their tablet. And many of those people obviously had new cameras that they were not used to. Trip of a life time with lots of money spent, makes a good excuse to buy a 'good' camera. I spoke with a man and his wife both sporting brand new Canon mk5's they had just got the cameras and were struggling to figure out the menus and buttons. I wanted to suggest they might have learned the cameras before going on the trip but I was polite. Both had a child in a backpack carrier as well so it was quite interesting.
07-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #94

I see the same here in Trondheim, Norway. Most tourists use a DSLR. Except the Japanese, Chinese and Korean. They carry three.

07-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well since the cool people all carry skinny, shiny, hipster mirrorless plates now - I guess the average vacationing Ugly American will be doing that in about a decade.

Cool people will be on their 5th upgrade of Glass-tacts that come with a Gigapixel, blink-operated, Iris-focused Lytro-tech sensor that incorporates Lightroom-by-thinking and 'My-Favorite-Martian' extending antennae for linking to eveyone else's 'embedded storage.'
07-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #96
Pentaxian

And please don't forget CURVED SENSORS, the new revolution !
07-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I like it when it's curvy!

07-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
I see the same here in Trondheim, Norway. Most tourists use a DSLR. Except the Japanese, Chinese and Korean. They carry three.
hahaha!
07-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well since the cool people all carry skinny, shiny, hipster mirrorless plates now - I guess the average vacationing Ugly American will be doing that in about a decade.
I thought the hipsters were all carrying TLRs or range finders.
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
True true true.... Or they are doing the digital versions. Fuji x100 or x pros.
07-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #101
Pentaxian

It is the same pattern everywhere I travel to - tons of DSLRs around (and yes, the occasional Asian tourist with 2 FF Canons with complimentary beer cans mounted). 9 of 10 DSLR users have the hood on in reverse on the kit lens. I am yet to see a Limited lens in the wild except my own, and Pentax users are few and far between - I guess they stay at home reading up on WR capabilities and studying lens charts.
07-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #102
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Mrs eljamoquio and I have long suspected the average Pentaxian is older than the dslr norm.

I suspect you are both correct in your thinking.. I see many even here saying they are coming back to photography from film days with a new Pentax dSLR.. so I think quite older and male..

I also see a mistake of people thinking these APS-C cameras have a 35mm/135 sized sensor.

---------- Post added 07-14-14 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
9 of 10 DSLR users have the hood on in reverse on the kit lens.
I thought it strange too seeing folks reversing the lens hood onto their lenses... I think, though, that some do this when they want to store the hood and not lose it.
07-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually, you might be right. I'm so far from hip I don't een know what is hip these days.

Sooner or later my XA and Yashica Electro GSN will come back into style. Then for a few brief months I'll be hip.

Or are you telling me I'm a hipster right now and I don't even know it?
07-14-2014, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #104
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It is the same pattern everywhere I travel to - tons of DSLRs around (and yes, the occasional Asian tourist with 2 FF Canons with complimentary beer cans mounted). 9 of 10 DSLR users have the hood on in reverse on the kit lens. I am yet to see a Limited lens in the wild except my own, and Pentax users are few and far between - I guess they stay at home reading up on WR capabilities and studying lens charts.
I have seen limiteds in the wild twice, once a FA 43 being used by a guy with his kid at the aquarium and another time, an FA 77 being used by at the food court in my building (which is an office tower/high end mall/hotel) in the middle of a very popular tourist area. I also saw a pentax dual wielder having beignets at cafe du monde the first time I brought my first pentax out, I am not sure which lenses he had on because I was still a total noob but I think they might have been DA*s.

I did get stopped once by someone with a FF Nikon to get a snapshot of him and his family at the zoo and he complimented that he asked me because I was using a pentax with a prime lens instead of an entry level Canikon with a kit lens.
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
I am Japanese and typically I only carry one camera. I have been to all three countries that you mentioned, and I just don't recall anyone carrying 3 DSLRs, let alone 3 P & S.

There must be something going on with Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans in Norway. Or that perhaps you stereotyped them, but then again in this day and age who would do such a thing anyway?

I have also noticed on this forum that there seem to be lots of non Asian folks with multiple camera bodies.

Wait, is there something wrong or funny about having multiple bodies??