Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EVF : I handled a Fuji XT-1 yesterday and I was quite impressed. There is one thing that could bother me about EVFs: since the sensor is always working when turned on, is it not a bit "dangerous" for overheating it ?.

08-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm confused.. wasn't the big rumor there WAS going to be a FF body announced at Photokina? Now, the rumor has turned 180 degrees to no FF body announced and just a couple of trinkets.. /facepalm.

This is what the head of Ricoh/Pentax marketing says about FF:

"We concentrated our techs into K-3 and believe in that it never falls behind FF even after there have been a lot of comparisons between APS-C & FF. Said that, we should never betrayed loyal customers who has been investing to (note: DA) lenses. If we neglect them to launch a FF model or two to challenge the area where we are not strong, it’s going to make no sense at all."

APS will have priority....
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
18 reviews worth.
Sony is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!
08-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #454
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

"We concentrated our techs into K-3 and believe in that it never falls behind FF even after there have been a lot of comparisons between APS-C & FF. Said that, we should never betrayed loyal customers who has been investing to (note: DA) lenses. If we neglect them to launch a FF model or two to challenge the area where we are not strong, it’s going to make no sense at all."

Is that quote new or allready some months older? To be honest in the current market it is hard to launch a new camera.

08-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #455
Veteran Member

He continued:

So, you guys haven’t decided to dive into FF are yet…?

M:
Well, we have been proceeding development including brief time frame but we have not decided exact specification (=course) to go with, yet.

T:
There should be conditions when you go with FF, I think. One is that you can’t spoil development of the other existing mounts. Another is that the new FF camera must appear the way Pentax is, right?

M:
Well, if discussing about whether we go with FF or not, yes we will. However, it is our understanding that it doesn’t make sense if we spoil development of other mounts’ cameras and lenses. It is our current challenge.
08-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marmaduke Quote
where are my pentax cultists FFS?
They've all hacked their mountains of FF glass and shot them on Canon.
08-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sony is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!
People switch platforms at about 50x the frequency they buy adapters.

Adapters are doomed.

08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #458
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
People switch platforms at about 50x the frequency they buy adapters.
That is because 99% of those that switch platforms are Canikon DSLR users that switch to Canikon DSLR, and for them there are no adapters that fully support old lenses, so they need to do a complete switch. But I would say that a majority of DSLR users that get a mirrorless system will use adapters, and they are not usually switching platform, but getting a second platform.

Having fully supporting adapters is a way to ensure that existing DSLR users get mirrorless cameras of the same brand.
08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #459
Veteran Member

I think Amazon has 5 reviews of the 645D, intro'd 5 years ago. Pentax is doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.
08-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #460
Banned

That would make good sense if they have focused on issuing / fixing lenses and investing heavily in lens technology for the APS-C. Because cameras need good lens system and reliable tech to make sense. But they have not done that. 10 months after the K-3, and we have only one new lens introduced and half a dozen old ones with a new ring introduced before the K-3.

What kind of APS-C strategy is that?! Do they really believe HD coated old lenses are "the news" which users have been waiting for since 2011? That could have been news in 2012, or early 2013, but not a single lens in the entire 2014 as of yet?

Plus, do they really believe they will come at Photokina with a couple of recoated lenses, and one new lens, and call it a day, like Asahiman suggests? (He does not even hint another APS-C K-mount body, what to say about the FF.)

It is not just disappointing, it is highly frustrating. Something does not add up.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-06-2014 at 10:52 PM.
08-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That would make good sense if they have focused on issuing / fixing lenses and investing heavily in lens technology for the APS-C. Because cameras need good lens system and reliable tech to make sense. But they have not done that. 10 months after the K-3, and we have only one new lens introduced and half a dozen old ones with a new ring introduced before the K-3.

What kind of APS-C strategy is that?! Do they really believe HD coated old lenses are "the news" which users have been waiting for since 2011? That could have been news in 2012, or early 2013, but not a single lens in the entire 2014 as of yet?

Plus, do they really believe they will come at Photokina with a couple of recoated lenses, and one new lens, and call it a day, like Asahiman suggests? (He does not even hint another APS-C K-mount body, what to say about the FF.)

It is not just disappointing, it is highly frustrating. Something does not add up.
Ululu that wonderfull what you say. But I'am puzzled. I can name a few lense that I would like to be there. The same I could do if I was using other brands (We are never happy).

On the opposite except maybe the DA15, all the lenses I own are perfectly able to fully use K3 (this include DA21, DA35 plastic wonder, FA50, DA50-135, DA17-70). My daddy 18-135 is also perfectly sharp on the K3, much more sharp than it is on a K30.

The range of lenses I can get is huge and cover many cases. Theses lens are small and perform well. That the goal of Pentax to have exactly this. More... on a regular basis they introduce new lenses.

As for the DA ltd rebranding and update with HD coating, while I don't think it is worthwhile to update if you have an old one, it is just a small improvement to an already very fine set of lenses ensure new buyers get even better flare resistance and bokeh. That's nice.
08-07-2014, 03:00 AM   #462
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
U..
The range of lenses I can get is huge and cover many cases. Theses lens are small and perform well. That the goal of Pentax to have exactly this. More... on a regular basis they introduce new lenses.
As for the DA ltd rebranding and update with HD coating, while I don't think it is worthwhile to update if you have an old one, it is just a small improvement to an already very fine set of lenses ensure new buyers get even better flare resistance and bokeh. That's nice.
DA Ltds and FA Ltds are the only and main reason many people stick to Pentax system. Considering they are both using antiquated and noisy focusing mechanism, and that some members of their DA* range suffer the severe perception / performance issue, the state of affairs of the Pentax system is not stellar. Right now, their lens tech (motor, focus) is worst and noisiest in the market, despite having some amazing optical formulas. So DA Ltds are very lightweight, which minimises the noise issue and lack of focusing speed.
Unfortunately they have not moved an inch since Ricoh's acquisition, only entrenched their true flagship lenses in ancient tech (screwdrive) now forever.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-07-2014 at 03:07 AM.
08-07-2014, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Right now, their lens tech (motor, focus) is worst and noisiest in the market, despite having some amazing optical formulas
Isn't "amazing optical formula" more important than auto focus noise?
Not once since I shoot Pentax has AF noise ever been annoying to me - tbh I don't think I ever noticed it...
08-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Isn't "amazing optical formula" more important than auto focus noise?
Not once since I shoot Pentax has AF noise ever been annoying to me - tbh I don't think I ever noticed it...
Good for you but my wife has banned me from using a screw-drive lens again when attending a wedding.
08-07-2014, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #465

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Good for you but my wife has banned me from using a screw-drive lens again when attending a wedding.
Get another wife