Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #721
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but between Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax, Pentax is the only one who doesn't have any provision for an electronic aperture control? The mechanical linkage in the K-mount is going to make it more expensive to support by third parties.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nikon and Sony Alpha also have mechanical/lever aperture control. Canon's is electronic.
Yep, and Sigma support for Sony Alpha is pretty spotty. I think their willingness to support a mount is a question of expense to bring to market as balanced against potential sales. Nikon makes the cut while #3 (Sony) and Pentax often don't.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Doesn't makes sense since Tokina does not produce for Pentax.
...and Pentax does not produce for Tokina, sort of...

The current range for both companies includes several lenses that were produced in collaboration. The lenses with DNA common to both lines at present are the 10-17 Fisheye and 100/2.8 Macro.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Apparently, the 8-16 and the 70 macro have been discontinued as well.
Add the 50/2.8 Macro as well. It would be good to note that Sigma looks to be doing a general purge of their product line with many lenses disappearing. Even Nikon is missing for some models.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:29 AM ----------

I predict Ricoh will launch a new line of "Tracy" video/still wrist cams.

Steve

08-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There will probably be refresh models launched in september. Hopefully they won't forget K-mount altogether.
08-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Still have a 200mm F2.8 DA*
Is that lens not rumored to cover a larger image circle? Could it not become an HD DA Pro 200/2.8 (meaning FF image)? Same story with DA*300?
08-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #724
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA200 has exactly the same optical formula and dimensions as the FA*200. So we can guess it is a FF lens.
The DA*300 is a new design, though.

08-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe you are right, branding question....

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is that lens not rumored to cover a larger image circle? Could it not become an HD DA Pro 200/2.8 (meaning FF image)? Same story with DA*300?
I think the moniker would be HD DFA*.... Has the coatings, has the gaskets (WR)? I think you are right about the 300 too.... My guess the reason they branded as DA* was to set the premium * brand (WR, Coatings, Set Aperture, quality) and here comes the "kicker" Not make them DFA to stoke FF rumors? Are they that smart? Or better yet, were they that smart at the time? Probably was their"message" that APSc was sufficient for task over FF.

Great question!
08-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a rumor floating around that a new lens line (presumably with a new focus motor) would be labeled 'Pro' so revamped * become DA Pro. Anyone's guess how they designate lenses capable of covering a (nearly) 36x24 image circle. Always remember I'm just some guy in Missouri. I don't know anything.
08-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #727
Veteran Member

It's not a guess. I've used the DA*300 on the A7R. Seemed fine to me, but I'm terrible at manual focus on long lenses.

08-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharing the pain....

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's not a guess. I've used the DA*300 on the A7R. Seemed fine to me, but I'm terrible at manual focus on long lenses.

You are not alone.... Add flying birds and we ALL have that issue

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 01:04 PM ----------

There was a rumor floating around that a new lens line (presumably with a new focus motor) would be labeled 'Pro' so revamped * become DA Pro. Anyone's guess how they designate lenses capable of covering a (nearly) 36x24 image circle. Always remember I'm just some guy in Missouri. I don't know anything.
Isn't Missouri the "Show Me" State? Perfect for a Pentaxian...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 08-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.
08-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #729
Veteran Member

Thats probably the way back for Pentax and what we'll see coming out of Photokina - lens announcements.

Come out with 5 lens announcements and the troops will be happy. Make them all FF compatible and they will be even happier.

As regards 3rd party lens providers: i think we often forget that 3rd parties like Sigma and Tamron must be subject to the same market malaise as the system makers. Of course they have to cut back. And their cutting back means more lens sales for Pentax. When the market comes back, 3rd party support comes back.

What excites folks about Fuji is the quality lenses. Thats what Pentax should focus on -no pun intended- lenses - make fast focusing lenses and a few fast exposure ones to confuse the critics. Lenses, lenses and more lenses.
08-15-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:29 AM ----------

[/COLOR]I predict Ricoh will launch a new line of "Tracy" video/still wrist cams.
Yes, and if a wrist cam came with a 180 degree FOV Theta-style, Ricoh could include Auto Armpit Recognition too.

I'd like a return to beautiful rendering and focus transitions, away from the current mania for sharpness above all else. And from the constraints imposed by small size which come at quite a price in some regards. I'd take a bigger great lens over an indifferent smaller one.
08-15-2014, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #731
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As regards 3rd party lens providers: i think we often forget that 3rd parties like Sigma and Tamron must be subject to the same market malaise as the system makers. Of course they have to cut back. And their cutting back means more lens sales for Pentax. When the market comes back, 3rd party support comes back.
Problem is that Pentaxian's simply don't buy the expensive lenses from Sigma in large enough quantities. They just sell some cheap zoom's, 18-200 and 18-250 in larger amounts.
08-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked that Pun

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thats probably the way back for Pentax and what we'll see coming out of Photokina - lens announcements.

Come out with 5 lens announcements and the troops will be happy. Make them all FF compatible and they will be even happier.

What excites folks about Fuji is the quality lenses. Thats what Pentax should focus on -no pun intended- lenses - make fast focusing lenses and a few fast exposure ones to confuse the critics. Lenses, lenses and more lenses.
Great Pun... Intended or otherwise... Need for Better Bigger Glass? YUP
08-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Problem is that Pentaxian's simply don't buy the expensive lenses from Sigma in large enough quantities. They just sell some cheap zoom's, 18-200 and 18-250 in larger amounts.
My common sense would say: No problem at all. Because SIGMA now offers you a service, where you send in your lens, and you can have the mount changed from nikon to Pentax or vice versa.

But that is not true for all lenses, but you can see which lenses qualify at:

Sigma Imaging UK | Mount Conversion Service
or
Change Your Mind? Change Your Mount. Sigma Corporation of America

For inexplicable reasons, it seems that SIGMA makes a difference from country to country, on which lenses do qualify for a mount conversion.
08-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #734
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
My common sense would say: No problem at all. Because SIGMA now offers you a service, where you send in your lens, and you can have the mount changed from nikon to Pentax or vice versa.

But that is not true for all lenses, but you can see which lenses qualify at:

Sigma Imaging UK | Mount Conversion Service
or
Change Your Mind? Change Your Mount. Sigma Corporation of America

For inexplicable reasons, it seems that SIGMA makes a difference from country to country, on which lenses do qualify for a mount conversion.
That would be a surprice. They said at start that only conversions could be made for lenses that originated in the K-mount. So no 120-300mm for instance.....
08-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That would be a surprice. They said at start that only conversions could be made for lenses that originated in the K-mount. So no 120-300mm for instance.....
SIGMA UK website says...

Sigma Interchangeable lenses for SLR/ DSLR Cameras converted to any of the following mounts; Sigma, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Canon
120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | S Cost of Conversion Mount Service £280

i would say just call them by phone and ask.

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 12:31 PM ----------

and BTW:

FF is cool... the same way of taking shots like in the film days... less noise.. if the right sensor is chosen. Lenses enough available.
So i will go on hope and hype...

Stop the guessing games... No FF-Angst(Sony is starting to sell full frame for 1200USD)...We demand it! Scream for it!!! They will hear us...Let PENTAX think about the technical things...