Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that Pentax should make new small body for K2000D

If the information about K2000D is true,
I think that Pentax should make new small body for K2000D to use with pancakes.
But it means that they need to make 3rd line to manufacture 3d type of body.
In the digital era Pentax can make only 2 types of bodies.

If they restart to make something like *ist DL body with 2.7" LCD it could be good. IMO.

05-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, that would be great. I hope that with Hoya backing they really are up to making three bodies — or four, if the hints of something above the K20D are true.

I hope also that any small body is made not just as a cheap entry-level model (though it will certainly need to be low-priced given the competitive market), but also something that would make a good second body as a companion to the K10D/K20D line.
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes! Even Canon and Nikon shooters will buy one to use with the DA primes. Big seller here, are you listening Pentax?
05-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that Pentax should make new small body for K2000D to use with pancakes.
This seems to be a popular request in enthusiast's forum. But unfortunately, small body camera does not seem to be popular among the general public, especially in North America. So it will not sell in the volume Hoya would like. As a niche model, the price would probably be higher than most people would want to pay.

05-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree, but I do wonder how big the market will be for it. Plus they will have competition from Olympus in that area with their E420 and it's new 25mm pancake lens. I really would like to see a $600 semi-pocketable camera body though. I love the Pentax pancake lenses, but if I have to carry a bag around for the camera body already then really what is the point of ultra small lenses with tiny focus rings?
05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But unfortunately, small body camera does not seem to be popular among the general public, especially in North America.
Really? I see literally dozens of people using small-bodied cameras every day here. Probably outnumbers big dSLRs ten to one. No, actually more like a hundred to one. No wonder Olympus (and Nikon, less gracefully, with the D40) is aiming at that market.
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Really? I see literally dozens of people using small-bodied cameras every day here. Probably outnumbers big dSLRs ten to one. No, actually more like a hundred to one. No wonder Olympus (and Nikon, less gracefully, with the D40) is aiming at that market.
i agree, Pentax should target the "fed up with my P&S" market

05-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't the K200D or the K100D Super small enough? Pentax's direction should be towards making a BIGGER camera.
05-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Something ideal (but won't happen, don't even hope....) would be based on the principle of the Canon EF-M but compact as an MZ-5N.

The principle is the following: Two dials: one for aperture setting, the other for speed. Both on A means program etc... very much Pentax-way in fact. Bundle it with Liveview with contrast AF (so it can sell to P&S guys) and compact (as MZ-5 / e420 -like).

Disable wireless to cut costs and thrown in image mode like B&W or such to please P&S users. It would receive pentamirror viewfinder however because of costs and no... no full K-mount compatibility (costs again)...

Sell it for 500US$ MSRP and you have a winner.

This could be made on an economical POV but I doubt very much it will.
05-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #10

But would you tolerate a worse grip (like on the Olympus e-420) for on a K2000d? I'm sure if Pentax were to release a super-compact camera body with a non-existent grip people would complain that it is difficult to hold. Can't have it both ways...
05-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Isn't the K200D or the K100D Super small enough? Pentax's direction should be towards making a BIGGER camera.
The K100D etc are huge compared to the *istD and even larger compared to the MX or even *istDS. Something the size of the *istD would suit me.

Nick
05-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickC Quote
The K100D etc are huge compared to the *istD and even larger compared to the MX or even *istDS. Something the size of the *istD would suit me.

K100D looks the same size as the DS and when measured it is about 4mm (1/5") wider and 4mm thicker (from lcd to lens mount). Height is the same.
K200D has only thicker/better grip compared to K100D. All measures mentioned above are identical to K100D.
05-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

hey, how about a K2000d without an optical viewfinder (assuming Pentax could create a fully-featured live-view system)? That would cut down the size. However, I think no one would buy it...
05-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Banned

nope I certainly wont buy a camera without an optical viewfinder. didn't we already have a thread just like this about bringing back the K1000 as a digital? if I remember correctly we came to (mostly) a decision that such a camera wouldn't sell well and it would only be a small niche market. and for the record I wont buy a camera digital or otherwise that doesn't have a 1:reflexmirror 2:pentaprism/mirror 3:optical viewfinder 4:interchangeable lenses (the shutter is a toss up if pentax can manufacture a sensor that can do the shutters job just as efficiently and reliably)I dont want a P&S and I don't want a rangefinder. I want to use an SLR, simple as that. thats why I still mostly use film (MX, superA) and I will continue to use only true SLR's from pentax even if they start making cameras that don't qualify as such.
05-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
"Should?" Why? Because you want one, or because you think it'd be a good move overall? If the latter, why?