Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh/Pentax MyPhoto Gallery in Europe

Apologies if this has already been covered (can't see anything) but just to say that in Europe, Ricoh/Pentax have just launched an online gallery called MyPhotos as part of the MyPentax section on their website.

The news announcement for it on their site is here.

I'm not familiar with the other Ricoh/Pentax sites around the world, so I don't know whether or how this fits in with them.

07-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rights on images

The user agrees to transfer to RICOH IMAGING EUROPE and any company of the RICOH group the reproduction and exploitation rights for the content that it publishes online, worldwide and for the duration of the copyright protection, including in particular the right to publish this photograph in full or in part on any of the websites of RICOH IMAGING EUROPE and the websites of the RICOH group. He/she warrants to RICOH IMAGING EUROPE that he/she holds all intellectual property rights to this photograph and that this photograph does not infringe on any rights of a third party.
For technical reasons, the user acknowledges that his/her name or pseudonym shall not appear or is not likely to appear on the photograph.
07-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
Banned

I saw it earlier, was also here I think. It is a great inititive, but on the other hand we all have flickr and sites alike. The conditions are a little on the cheap sit and look like collecting free images. On the other hand how would they have made those rules?
07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They should have use the Creative Common licencing...

07-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
Rights on images

The user agrees to transfer to RICOH IMAGING EUROPE and any company of the RICOH group the reproduction and exploitation rights for the content that it publishes online, worldwide and for the duration of the copyright protection, including in particular the right to publish this photograph in full or in part on any of the websites of RICOH IMAGING EUROPE and the websites of the RICOH group. He/she warrants to RICOH IMAGING EUROPE that he/she holds all intellectual property rights to this photograph and that this photograph does not infringe on any rights of a third party.
For technical reasons, the user acknowledges that his/her name or pseudonym shall not appear or is not likely to appear on the photograph.
Uh-oh. I guess even the Instagram row of a while back hasn't sunk in in some places. Better no gallery than this, imho. I'm sorry I posted about it now.
07-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Rights on images

One word seems to be missing at the beginning of the text : exclusively
I don't seee much interest to get bored in modifying any of my picts - to eliminate signature - for this "marché de dupe"...
07-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

'Transferring' the rights means to me that the rights become the property of Ricoh and no longer the photographer. So effectively exclusively. Unless of course Ricoh sell the rights to someone else. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Do they have the same set of rules in place for the PPG?
07-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
'Transferring' the rights means to me that the rights become the property of Ricoh and no longer the photographer. So effectively exclusively. Unless of course Ricoh sell the rights to someone else. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
A good draft should spell out in plain English what rights are sought by Ricoh and that all other rights in all media remain the sole property of the photographer. Ditto copyright and moral rights. Ditto any financial consideration now or in future. I'm no lawyer but I'd expect that as a minimum. I agree, steer clear. It's very disappointing coming from an imaging company tbh.
07-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I find it off that they should set up this new gallery given the existence of the PPG, which has of course been neglected for over a year but which was and is a potentially excellent showcase. Maybe the rights grab is a deliberate tactical move. I can't see any other good reason.
07-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I can think of one: PPG is Pentax USA's, this is Pentax Europe's. Sure, it's not a perfect reason, an unified effort would be best - but IMO it's more realistic than "they did it just to grab our images"
07-17-2014, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Apart from an inabilty to spell words such as colour correctly there is little to suggest the PPG is USAcentric. I am a British photographer based in France and I have hundreds of images on the PPG.
07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not talking about the ability of uploading images without living in the U.S.; I'm talking about ownership. PPG is "© 2013 PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION" (and this is copy&paste from there). And it links to this page:
Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING
07-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't really see why the ownership is relevant, I see the PPG as a global Pentax gallery. I see no particular reason to prefer one just because it is hosted in Europe. Why would anyone?
07-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not talking about the ability of uploading images without living in the U.S.; I'm talking about ownership. PPG is "© 2013 PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION" (and this is copy&paste from there). And it links to this page:
Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING
Europe and USA are spearate, independent, free-standing divisions of Ricoh Imaging Corp. While wholly-owned by and controlled by Ricoh Imaging Corporation, Ltd. they are not Ricoh Imaging Limited.

My supposition is there are legal reasons for the separation based upon unique regional laws, regulations and court systems (similar to the reasons Ricoh Imaging Corporation, Ltd. set up separate divisions in the first place).