Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
And at ~ 3 times the price, the FZ1000 and Rx10 should be better - a lot better. I doubt the target market for the XG-1 is for anyone who reads PF, or even knows that such a thing as a photography forum exists. Or for those who compare features/price before buying, sadly.

Still, I can't see paying $900 - $1000 for a bridge camera, even if as good as reported. That's hundreds more than I paid for my DSLR! For me, the improvement of a K5IIs over the FZ1000 is much greater than the improvement of the FZ1000 over the XG-1.
Then you arent the target market are you. I have a K-5 and a bunch of lenses. I want a good bridge camera because I am well over changing lenses. This is something quite a few of my peers are also feeling. We dont need to have a you beaut super duper dslr to do what *we* want to with photography. IN most places on the web you'd be hard pressed to find the differences if you did not know which camera shot what.

---------- Post added 08-04-14 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

How about a weather-sealed superzoom with a 1/1.7" sensor, 28-800mm lens and a decent EVF?
I'd buy that!

08-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
And at ~ 3 times the price, the FZ1000 and Rx10 should be better - a lot better. I doubt the target market for the XG-1 is for anyone who reads PF, or even knows that such a thing as a photography forum exists. Or for those who compare features/price before buying, sadly.

Still, I can't see paying $900 - $1000 for a bridge camera, even if as good as reported. That's hundreds more than I paid for my DSLR! For me, the improvement of a K5IIs over the FZ1000 is much greater than the improvement of the FZ1000 over the XG-1.
Well the FZ1000 is selling good overhere, leaving all stores with empty shelfs at the moment. So this 849 euro camera serves a market.

I think that there is also a market for a high-end Pentax bridgcamera. As long as it delivers on the IQ.
08-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I think there is a misconception among more knowledgeable photographers about bridge cameras market. Given decent glass and good sized sensor (say, APS-C), they should eat a lot of DSLR sales. Most people buy DSLR because they are told that is the way to go if they want good pictures, not because they want to play with settings and change lenses.
I know at least several people I'd recommend bridge over DSLR they own, if the IQ was on par with kit lens/sensor they have. And they'd be happier for it.
01-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More than a year later and this camera hangs around, garnering some praise as a bargain ( now at half the price). There is a big market for this kind of camera among birders, backpackers and wildlife enthusiasts. No respectable birder is without a Canon SX50/60 these days, and despite interesting competitive models from Nikon, Fuji, Panny, and this Pentax, Canon rules the proverbial roost. If you are normally a serious DSLR shooter, but don't want to take your heavy, bulky, multi-thousand dollar rig on every hike, the super zoom could make sense. Pentax now has the dubious market advantage of offering one of these at a sub-$200 street price which makes it almost disposable.

As you may glean, I am considering this application. The real question for me is whether a super zoom for that price makes more sense than one of my less current bodies like the Kx Or K5 plus a DAL 55-300, plus cropping.

01-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
More than a year later and this camera hangs around, garnering some praise as a bargain ( now at half the price). There is a big market for this kind of camera among birders, backpackers and wildlife enthusiasts. No respectable birder is without a Canon SX50/60 these days, and despite interesting competitive models from Nikon, Fuji, Panny, and this Pentax, Canon rules the proverbial roost. If you are normally a serious DSLR shooter, but don't want to take your heavy, bulky, multi-thousand dollar rig on every hike, the super zoom could make sense. Pentax now has the dubious market advantage of offering one of these at a sub-$200 street price which makes it almost disposable.

As you may glean, I am considering this application. The real question for me is whether a super zoom for that price makes more sense than one of my less current bodies like the Kx Or K5 plus a DAL 55-300, plus cropping.
The Canon SX-50/60 and Nikon P900 each has a 1/2.3" sensor. The pictures I've seen posted on-line normally show easily-noticeable noise. My opinion remains that the best approach for Pentax would be to develop a super-zoom lens for the Q family, since the 1/1.7" sensor used on the Q-7/Q-S1 doesn't provide as readily-noticeable noise. Someone who doesn't want to change lenses could just keep that lens on, and those who want more could change lenses as needed (just before I got my Q-7, I seriously considered the SX-50 because the price had dropped so much after introduction of the SX-60, but I realized that it would be a one-task camera for me, because they are so bulky).
01-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife bought a Pentax X-5 last year. I am constantly surprised at what she can get out of it. I was griped at for a while after I replaced the kludgy photo editor she was using, but now she is using Lightroom 6 like a whiz. I'm still ticked off that she managed to get three pictures of great blue herons with fish in beak. I've been chasing them for years and years, and never got a usable one.
01-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I bought a Nikon P610 earlier this year, and right now have a refurb FZ1000 on order. I get better than usable shots from the Nikon and I love the additional focal length. I like shooting birds. Cropping from APS is OK, but so is what's coming off tiny sensors these days.