Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #61
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
it's the az 522 not the az 521 (i didn't see the difference either en totally missed the missing evf )
Funny, I missed that to, makes a huge difference.

07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #62
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But this shouldn't stop us complaining that precious resources were diverted from the "full frame" project
Well, I agree with that most definitely.
07-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Hopefully this will at least have a Pentax-style menu system, similar to how the user interface for the MX-1 and X-5 were customized around their OEM hardware.
07-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Don't judge the camera by the likelihood of its appeal to you.
This is a super cheap budget model to be sold by truckloads and is made to remind people of a brand name of Pentax next time they intend to buy something more serious.
Pentax absolutely needs such toys. MX-1 was another one.
Absolutely Uluru, the X5 sold well here in Australia through Auspost, looks a million bucks, good zoom and is fully automatic, which 99% of that market want...... brand name awareness is the name of the game here.

07-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robbod Quote
Absolutely Uluru, the X5 sold well here in Australia through Auspost, looks a million bucks, good zoom and is fully automatic, which 99% of that market want...... brand name awareness is the name of the game here.
The guy who bought a used Pentax in 1961 from a pawn shop and still shoots Pentax has a wife who bought an X-5 for C$249.99 and is as happy as a clam with her new toy. She just printed a few (in her mind) large prints that came out quite well indeed. 5x7. She still wants prints and has (with someone's help ) learned to use the enclosed extremely simplistic software to get them to print the way she wants them, colour, crop, etc. She then takes her second SD card to the kiosk and gets the prints she wants for her albums.

She is so used to me taking pictures and running photo classes at the local rec centre that she never even considered another brand. She demands a viewfinder. She found the MZ-S with FA 24-90 too heavy. I checked the reviews before she bought, at her request, and at half the price of what other viewfinder equipped cameras, said go. She has had it about six months now, and as I said above, is happy as a clam. There is a market for these bridge cameras, and a low price point with a huge zoom sells. And it says PENTAX on the front. And it doesn't need film, either.

PS - she finds Picasa too complicated and prefers the one that came with the camera.
07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The guy who bought a used Pentax in 1961 from a pawn shop and still shoots Pentax has a wife who bought an X-5 for C$249.99 and is as happy as a clam with her new toy. She just printed a few (in her mind) large prints that came out quite well indeed. 5x7. She still wants prints and has (with someone's help ) learned to use the enclosed extremely simplistic software to get them to print the way she wants them, colour, crop, etc. She then takes her second SD card to the kiosk and gets the prints she wants for her albums.

She is so used to me taking pictures and running photo classes at the local rec centre that she never even considered another brand. She demands a viewfinder. She found the MZ-S with FA 24-90 too heavy. I checked the reviews before she bought, at her request, and at half the price of what other viewfinder equipped cameras, said go. She has had it about six months now, and as I said above, is happy as a clam. There is a market for these bridge cameras, and a low price point with a huge zoom sells. And it says PENTAX on the front. And it doesn't need film, either.

PS - she finds Picasa too complicated and prefers the one that came with the camera.
Every single non forum geek person i've seen with camera's just want to point a fully automatic camera at the subject and want the best result possible with minimal fuss. The Pentax picture menu system is very simplistic and suits that very large audience. Together with colours this is a match made in heaven. We all know that the biggest % of DSLR purchasers stick with program mode and the kit lenses, this tells a rather obvious story about the mass audience. Hence the bridge camera's with simple controls and a decent price are a winner.
It amuses me when these camera's become so advanced that most people just shake their heads about the capabilities, because they don't want to undergo another university degree on how to operate yet another electronic gadget. A huge amount of people, even those intelligent enough to learn, can't be bothered with learning yet another smart phone, remote control, computer system, car audio, bluetooth menu............ it's overkill, so these camera's definitely have a place. These people are also not going to bother going on forums to compare, just want a plain english, thumbs up, saying, .....point zoom, shoot and check the pictures if you want another effect. I think Pentax are well aware of what it's potential mass audience want.
07-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robbod Quote
... most people just shake their heads about the capabilities, because they don't want to undergo another university degree on how to operate yet another electronic gadget. A huge amount of people, even those intelligent enough to learn, can't be bothered with learning yet another ... menu
My wife is very intelligent - Registered Nurse, former Lieutenant Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps - but isn't a geek like her in-house personal computer trainer. Well said Rob

07-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #68
Banned

Currently best selling Nikon Coolpix camera is L830, so there is a market for this type of camera.
07-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Currently best selling Nikon Coolpix camera is L830, so there is a market for this type of camera.
Well that L830 is 179 euro overhere... So no chance of selling the XG-1 for 299, that price has to come down.
07-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #70
Veteran Member

If there wasn't a market, why would Sony, Panasonic, fujifilm, Olympus , canon and Nikon still introduce their own models, especially Panasonic, Sony and Olympus just recently? And they're not that cheap either.

I also own an X5, still haven't used it, bought it as a zoo camera
07-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #71

Bridge cameras a growing market says Canon and Nikon | News | TechRadar
07-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #72
Banned

However the article is two years old, I still think this applies for the current market. Next to the XG-1 there is room for a more advanced superzoom. With more advanced specs and better IQ.
07-26-2014, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

And it exists: FZ1000 and RX10. But still, the XG-1 is something that Ricoh clearly thinks is good enough. I disagree. I like a good superzoom and this is not it.
07-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #74
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
And it exists: FZ1000 and RX10. But still, the XG-1 is something that Ricoh clearly thinks is good enough. I disagree. I like a good superzoom and this is not it.
Well Ricoh could make one built around the sensor from Q7. You end up with a smaller package then FZ1000 and RX10, but still offer good IQ compared to other competition. Just a little less zoom, but better lens and faster aperture.
07-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
And at ~ 3 times the price, the FZ1000 and Rx10 should be better - a lot better. I doubt the target market for the XG-1 is for anyone who reads PF, or even knows that such a thing as a photography forum exists. Or for those who compare features/price before buying, sadly.

Still, I can't see paying $900 - $1000 for a bridge camera, even if as good as reported. That's hundreds more than I paid for my DSLR! For me, the improvement of a K5IIs over the FZ1000 is much greater than the improvement of the FZ1000 over the XG-1.