Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #151
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
This makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, there is a vocal minority always hungry for the latest developments, whether or not it actually helps their photography (and I'm not particularly talking about this forum). I would guess the majority of photographers are content with their current gear, and upgrade only when it makes sense to them to do so.
That is very true. Pentax users are more realistic photographers that most users are. They are not typical gear heads. Or, Pentax users aspire more, they at least subconsciously understand that they need to do work on themselves to improve their skills. And for that matter having best and latest is not the ticket.
On the other hand, Pentax's only fault is that it has a very rich history and lots of legacy that, somewhat, was not so well emphasised in the age of digital photography. For that reason some users moan about "lack of this or that" and would love Pentax to come with more choices. Not so for the sake of themselves, but for the sake of their own pride in an iconic brand, so they can tell everyone "See, we have that too, we are not behind". And that is the whole underlying issue behind the FF saga.

07-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The only thing that's 'missing' on the D7100 is buffer in my thought-process.
Nah. While D7100 is of course a decent camera, the D300/ D300s are built like tanks.

Furthermore, the D300s qualifies you for Nikon Professional Services [in Australia], the D7100 does not.

QuoteQuote:
"...own 2 or more professional camera bodies listed below plus 3 or more professional Nikkor lenses,
Digital SLR Cameras: D4 series, D3 Series, D800e, D800, D700, D610, D600, Df, D300s;
07-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Df counts for Nikon Pro Services? Thought it was.actually targeted more to hyper-enthusiasts than pro's.

But anyway, the Prestige edition seems released rather early. Usually these limited ed ones come up around close to a year after the original's release. The K-3 has 4 months to go before it hits 1
07-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
the Df counts for Nikon Pro Services? Thought it was.actually targeted more to hyper-enthusiasts than pro's.

But anyway, the Prestige edition seems released rather early. Usually these limited ed ones come up around close to a year after the original's release. The K-3 has 4 months to go before it hits 1
I think pro street togs are targeted too.

07-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #155
Pentaxian

the Df counts for Nikon Pro Services?
I'm more surprised that the D600/610 qualifies as pro

I remember someone saying the K-3 resembles the pro-grade APS-C that the Nikon D400 should have been, had it ever been released. Probably quite an accurate statement.
07-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Put another way, limited edition cameras usually come around when a new flagship is coming... hint hint...
07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #157

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm more surprised that the D600/610 qualifies as pro

I remember someone saying the K-3 resembles the pro-grade APS-C that the Nikon D400 should have been, had it ever been released. Probably quite an accurate statement.
Pentax K3 is pro-grade camera, but Pentax system is far away from pro grade system.

Last edited by dfujevec; 07-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
07-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #158
Pentaxian

For me honestly the latest and greatest Nikon APSC was D7100... The D300s sound great but only for AF, for the rest it is more competing with a K5 - K5-II than a K3.

07-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #159
Site Supporter

12 Mega pixel sensor makes D300s actually competing (and loosing in high ISOs) with K-x, as far as IQ is concerned.

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
Pentax K3 is pro-grade camera, but Pentax system is far away from pro grade system.
May i contest or at least challenge : what are your criteria for "pro grade" ?
+ does it concern a single camera, a complete system, or a customer service for example ?
Or both the two last items ?
07-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #160
Veteran Member

I agree; unfortunately pro grade lenses have all been discontinued - I mean, Fa*600, FA*300f2.8, A*400f2.8, FA*200 macro... all are available on second hand market only.
07-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #161
Site Supporter

WR and DC engined DA 560mm is not pro grade ?
Obviously there is a "language problem"
07-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #162

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
12 Mega pixel sensor makes D300s actually competing (and loosing in high ISOs) with K-x, as far as IQ is concerned.

May i contest or at least challenge : what are your criteria for "pro grade" ?
+ does it concern a single camera, a complete system, or a customer service for example ?
Or both the two last items ?
Pro grade system consist from body (let say K3), pro grade lenses, advanced flash system, other accessories and pro grade customer servis. All should work as one. And Pentax is not. At this moment is hard to pronounce one Pentax lense that is really pro grade lens.
07-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Da* 55mm F1.4 is about the level of the Canon 50mm F1.2 offering better build, better wr and a slightly longer FL while tracing behind in speed (slightly smaller aperture an slower Af).

The 300\4 from the other makers are in their pro segment and the DA is one of the better ones.

Da* 200\2.8 would be in the pro segment at Canikon too.

Fa 31/1.8 is of pro quality although a bit slow to make it smaller.

The Da* 60-250 could arguably count as pro as it actually provide more to the table than the standard pro segment 70-200/4 others stock. The fact that it's not a complete ff lens may bump it down.

The whole 645 segment is pro.

To say that Pentax got no Pro quality lenses compared to what other makers stocks as pro is plain wrong.

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 12:49 PM ----------

Pro grade system consist from body (let say K3), pro grade lenses, advanced flash system, other accessories and pro grade customer servis. All should work as one. And Pentax is not. At this moment is hard to pronounce one Pentax lense that is really pro grade lens.
The most lacking lens areas are wide and fast lenses, long lenses with huge apertures and speedy sports zooms.
Though nothing in the lens segment is as lacking as the flash system, tethering and pro services.
07-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #164

We are talking about system, not just about single lenses. But OK, let's start with lenses. Every pro grade system of lenses should have fast wide angle zoom, standard zoom, tele zoom that are true battleships. If we speak about aps-c system (since Pentax do not have FF system), we need 10-12 to 24mm lens that are pro grade (and we fail there), we need 16-17 to 50-55mm lens and we fail again (SDM in 16-50mm is to slow and unreliable), we need tele zoom 50-70mm to 135-150mm and we fail for third time (same story as with 16-50). Then we need couple fast prime lenses, one wide angle, one standard, and one or two tele, and we have 55mm f1,4 (but again SDM problem). We dont have 16 or 23mm fast lens, we dont have standard lens that is pro grade (with WR and with fast AF). Canon and Nikon have for decades AF motors that are silent, fast and reliable. Pentax in 2014 is not capable to do that. Most of the lenses are screw driven (this is at least reliable), those who are SDM are usually too slow and prone to failure. Maybe DC motors are good, but we have just one or two lenses that have DC motor. In short we are quite far from pro grade lens system that will make Pentax K3 pro grade camera.
07-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #165
Pentaxian

We are talking about system, not just about single lenses. But OK, let's start with lenses. Every pro grade system of lenses should have fast wide angle zoom, standard zoom, tele zoom that are true battleships. If we speak about aps-c system (since Pentax do not have FF system), we need 10-12 to 24mm lens that are pro grade (and we fail there), we need 16-17 to 50-55mm lens and we fail again (SDM in 16-50mm is to slow and unreliable), we need tele zoom 50-70mm to 135-150mm and we fail for third time (same story as with 16-50). Then we need couple fast prime lenses, one wide angle, one standard, and one or two tele, and we have 55mm f1,4 (but again SDM problem). We dont have 16 or 23mm fast lens, we dont have standard lens that is pro grade (with WR and with fast AF). Canon and Nikon have for decades AF motors that are silent, fast and reliable. Pentax in 2014 is not capable to do that. Most of the lenses are screw driven (this is at least reliable), those who are SDM are usually too slow and prone to failure. Maybe DC motors are good, but we have just one or two lenses that have DC motor. In short we are quite far from pro grade lens system that will make Pentax K3 pro grade camera.

Stop it, that's too much reality in a much to short amount of time.

You haven't even touched the K-3 body yet. 100% of the Pentax cameras that I own have broken down. (IstD, Pentax K-5 and K-3) The mirror assembly of hte IstD let loose on one end and damaged the sensor. Both K-5 and K-3 had to be shipped to the repair center due to mirror flapping. Of which only one returned. The K-5 got lost. I have to wonder about all the other Pentax bodies that I've bought, maybe I just got rid of them to quickly to have them break down on me?

I wonder if the Prestige will still have the mirror flapping. We can call it the "Prrrrrrrrrrrestige".