Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This point has been made so many times, but the Pentax critics simply refuse to consider its essential truth. Serious still photographers generally don't give more than passing attention to the video feature.

Steve
I never use video on my Camera. I mean already taking a good photo is difficult... But just having a 2-3 minute good movie take hours of post processing time to not be too boring... it also require lot of shooting time too.

The irony... The one time I was thinking that video feature could have been usefull for me was to take some record of some conference we make from time to time... I have the required tripod if needed... I could buy some microphone for the sound... And the APSC sensor would provide good quality even with average lighting level. Didn't need any reframing, moving or refocus so the need was pretty basic.

Turn out that there is 20 minutes hard limit on a movie lengh... So that not good for 2x 50 minutes of recording...

The only time I could have make use of video recording with my camera, I could not use it. And this limitations is apparently here on all camera, not just the Pentax.

08-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Turn out that there is 20 minutes hard limit on a movie lengh... So that not good for 2x 50 minutes of recording...
I think there's some legal or regulatory reason to limit the recording time. Some copyright thing to do with protecting Hollywood from bootleggers or something, like if you can record more than a certain length of time (like 30 minutes) you have to have copyright protection encoding in your firmware and processor..
08-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think there's some legal or regulatory reason to limit the recording time. Some copyright thing to do with protecting Hollywood from bootleggers or something, like if you can record more than a certain length of time (like 30 minutes) you have to have copyright protection encoding in your firmware and processor..
I think the under 30 minute restriction is to avoid high EU import duties that are levied on video cameras.
08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think the under 30 minute restriction is to avoid high EU import duties that are levied on video cameras.
Ah - yep, that was it.

08-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #230
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Contax.
Wrong.

My Contax RTS II needed repair while I was working in Hong Kong a long time ago. What was REALLY annoying though is that it came back with a scratched shutter (wasn't scratched before)!

And while I'm in that time frame, I recall one Aussie colleague saw my camera and said "Contax? What's that, like a cheap Pentax?". Yes, Pentax was a respected name in Australia in the '80s.
08-04-2014, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Wrong.

My Contax RTS II needed repair while I was working in Hong Kong a long time ago. What was REALLY annoying though is that it came back with a scratched shutter (wasn't scratched before)!

And while I'm in that time frame, I recall one Aussie colleague saw my camera and said "Contax? What's that, like a cheap Pentax?". Yes, Pentax was a respected name in Australia in the '80s.
It's been almost ten years since they produced a camera with a flaw.
08-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #232
Pentaxian

The release date of Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition is postponed from August 8th till August 29th because of a delay in the procurement of some specific parts:

????????????PENTAX K-3 Prestige Edition????????????????RICOH IMAGING

08-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The release date of Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition is postponed from August 8th till August 29th

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!!!!!
08-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #234
mee
Veteran Member

Haha maybe it will be the prime launch for Pentax products at Photokina.
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The release date of Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition is postponed from August 8th till August 29th because of a delay in the procurement of some specific parts:

????????????PENTAX K-3 Prestige Edition????????????????RICOH IMAGING
Strange. I was pretty sure that a camera scheduled for 8.August release was already manufactured and in the box.....
08-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Strange. I was pretty sure that a camera scheduled for 8.August release was already manufactured and in the box.....
It's the box! They've assembled the camera, but they have no boxes!
Sorry, I have no idea, just a poor attempt at humour.
08-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #237
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
it is funny
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, no, no... I think they are waiting to get the parts back from the ex-USA service centre CRIS. Sort of like a 'parts hold' in reverse.

(an even poorer attempt at humour; no offence intended to all who have had good service from CRIS over the years)

- Craig
08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #239
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I heard the same thing and that the boxes were stolen by the same aliens that stole the plans and prototypes for the Pentax FF!

Steve
08-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I heard the same thing and that the boxes were stolen by the same aliens that stole the plans and prototypes for the Pentax FF!

Steve
Well, clearly the aliens needed something to store those FF bodies in! Boxes are in short supply on Planet Zog.