Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #46

I'm wondering how good the silver version of a k-3 sold. Furthermore I agree that it looks stunning, especially paired with 20-40 Ltd.

For me it's clear bumping the hype around brand before Photokina. Will it be successfull? I doubt it.

07-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
I think they've been holding this Prestige since the original K-3 release. If it was recently thought up, I'm sure there would have been at least one other change besides the color. For me this announcement further indicates that, "Ricoh really knows how to milk their cows!" and I no longer have high hopes for Photokina. Though I can't honestly say something big won't happen. To me, it would seem wiser to let this Prestige run awhile to make as much money from it as possible.

I'm sure just as they probably are, a lot of people would spend their FF savings on a K-3 with no FF announcement at Photokina, only to still purchase a FF (or almost any other body for that matter) if announced a month or two later.

Trust me, being on the not so rich end, I know a hustle when I see one.
1) sell them the next best thing.
2) pull out the best thing next.

As for what I think about the Prestige: Sweet! Unlike the silver edition, which in my opinion looks odd when the grip is attached. I still prefer my basic black because my white K30 is more than loud enough by itself. Also I like having white letters on my black body and the black letters on the white K30. That way there's no mistake, "I shoot PENTAX!"

Last edited by Trudger1272; 07-24-2014 at 03:38 AM.
07-24-2014, 03:30 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Looks good, but.. the silver edition is still in stock, no? I wish Pentax would put their resources to other uses, but okay.
The extra cost for the limited (they also get a guarantied grip sale) probably brings in more money than the paint job cost them extra. The cost of the paint job also most likely is less than the cost for ads on photo sites so you can see it as a cheap marketing technique.
07-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

On my local website they have

QuoteQuote:
TIPA AWARDS 2014
"BEST DSLR EXPERT"
prize commemorative model

Introducing the Prestige Edition,
designed to celebrate success of flagship camera. Limited to 2,000 units worldwide
It's a neat marketing idea but for only 2,000 units hardly a money spinner after you have deducted their costs, so pure marketing it is - and this will make a nice display at a trade fair too under a big, bright TIPA Awards badge. Someone else wondered why units of the original silver special edition are still around. One reason could be that regional offices don't get their sales projections right so they order too many from HQ and are then stuck with them whereas the next region may have got it just right and sold out. I like the look of it myself even though I would likely try to haggle starting with the line "Come on, how many of those do you really expect to sell?"

07-24-2014, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #50
Banned

Wake up ricoh imaging

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looks good. Very low-key. Kind of an 'un-bling' look, the exact opposite of the Silver Edition.

But one could come close to this look just by greying out with a marker the Pentax logo and 'K-3' sign of a normal K-3.

EDIT:
I also notice the large image Ricoh is distributing of this new K-3 that is in the write up on the front page (here) is shot using a Hasselblad H20-v digital back, probably on a Phase One body. The studio deleted the camera make and model from the EXIF, but other details are still in the EXIF. Sigh. Why no 645Z?

This is something that is disturbing news again. They simply don't understand that if they want to build on the brand Pentax photographers need to be taken serious and hired to do these jobs. They keep spending money to photographers that work with camera's from the competition. So Pentax users are either amateurs or if they want to be professionals be better of with leving the brand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happend with the introduction o the K-3 and also the 645Z
07-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Prestige Edition
I just barfed.
07-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Please explain the barf trigger. Several scenarios come to mind.

07-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I think they've been holding this Prestige since the original K-3 release. If it was recently thought up, I'm sure there would have been at least one other change besides the color. For me this announcement further indicates that, "Ricoh really knows how to milk their cows!" and I no longer have high hopes for Photokina. Though I can't honestly say something big won't happen. To me, it would seem wiser to let this Prestige run awhile to make as much money from it as possible.

I'm sure just as they probably are, a lot of people would spend their FF savings on a K-3 with no FF announcement at Photokina, only to still purchase a FF (or almost any other body for that matter) if announced a month or two later.

Trust me, being on the not so rich end, I know a hustle when I see one.
1) sell them the next best thing.
2) pull out the best thing next.

As for what I think about the Prestige: Sweet! Unlike the silver edition, which in my opinion looks odd when the grip is attached. I still prefer my basic black because my white K30 is more than loud enough by itself. Also I like having white letters on my black body and the black letters on the white K30. That way there's no mistake, "I shoot PENTAX!"
Pentax has released many special edition cameras over time . Even one for the 645D. Most people won't buy one, but I don't think they mean that Ricoh sucks or is specifically "milking" the K3.
07-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
O hell. Next Rikoh will be making a yellow version.

Hummmm....

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 08:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Looks good, but.. the silver edition is still in stock, no? I wish Pentax would put their resources to other uses, but okay.
I suspect that the change costs Ricoh nothing. Just smart marketing. This will move some cameras and give their marketing folks some information about their consumers. Wish they would have printed the name PENTAX in red though. They've given up product identity while the camera is out in use.
07-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Just, "people who buy".
I'm not seeing the problem, but then again, I haven't already decided that Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!!!
07-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Seriously, though, I can't understand all the complaining about this camera.
Are you new to Pentax Forums? Or the internet, for that matter? :-)
07-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Seriously, though, I can't understand all the complaining about this camera.

True, I think this is a very nice looking camera. Just an add-on to the K-3 family. Wich is a good thing, since there is news in it and everyone is again talking about Pentax camera's.
07-24-2014, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Ron as usual comes in between, its a reaction at dcshooters post

can't agree more, i'm getting sick of pentax is doomed and all that crap. It also scares potential users away if they haven't followed the moaning for a long time
07-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Maybe they want to roll out the new finish to gauge interest and see the markets reaction before they release it on the K-1.
07-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I don't understand the whining either. It looks cool. But if I have to go with the herd... They do have more important things to focus on. Like fixing the freaking mirror flapping issue that has been with them since the dawn of the K-5 and which they haven't been able to fix numerous bodies later in the K-3. Maybe they should couple the flapping to the temperature of the sensor and turn it into a feature? The first camera with active cooling?